DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Can't see Java in frames...help

Question Can't see Java in frames...help

Hi,

1st post.

Background: Recently had problems with computer, had to reinstall Video Driver and some other stuff.

Now (I'm webmaster), when I go to my site, I cannot open the frames HTML. Frames contains Navbar HTML and Home HTML. I can open Home seperatly. When I try to open Frames HTML it doesn't load, and freezes AOL and I have to 'end task'.

Navbar HTML contains a javascript for mouse over, and a mosiac.class (frm ANFY).

I have had friends try to open Frames HTML and they say everything works fine. Something happened when I reinstall video drivers, may have deleted something.

Went to Internet options and set all 3 Javas to yes (in advanced). For some reason (HELP!) my computer will not see Java! I noticed on some other websites that had Java, it would freeze on them too.

What can I do??? Thanks for the HELP.

Bill in Denver.

Site in Question: http://members.tripod.com/HoboJeepers/index.html

Click on frames, you will see mouse over, and mosiac applet.

Hi, Hobo Willy

Hmm, I can recall quite a few problems with Java being mysteriously disabled, however, this problem seems slightly different : you've pointed out that AOL freezes..

Are you using WinXP? If so, there have been some difficulties with AOL and XP, so if you haven't already, update drivers,patches,etc.. accordingly.

Usually with AOL ( I am still using AOL myself, and so talk from experience ) I find uninstalling and then reinstalling AOL often proves to help. What happens if you try to open the offending link inside Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, etc? From a diagnnostic point of view, what programs did you have to reinmstal?
    Which video card and computer?

If you are using XP, have you tried System Restore to take thigs back to before the installation of the card (or the exact time this problem first happened?

If you have installed the Java SDK and / or JRE I'd also suggest uninstalling and reinstalling it / both after the last installation of any other software.

Best regards... and keep us informed,
    Joyous Monkey

Smile

Joyous,

Thanks for your reply, beginning to wonder if anyone would. Thanks for your time.

Are you using WinXP? *NO Win 98

Usually with AOL ( I am still using AOL myself, and so talk from experience ) I find uninstalling and then reinstalling AOL often proves to help.
    *I installed 8.0, and no difference. It also freezes up Frontpage offline when I go to 'preview' a HTML.

What happens if you try to open the offending link inside Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, etc?
    *Same, freeze up

From a diagnnostic point of view, what programs did you have to reinmstal?
    *Uninstalled 32mb drivers, for old 8 mb drivers (reinstalled old drivers for original card once found motherboard could not handle 32 video card.)

Which video card and computer? * see above

If you are using XP, have you tried System Restore to take thigs back to before the installation of the card (or the exact time this problem first happened?
    *using win 98

If you have installed the Java SDK and / or JRE I'd also suggest uninstalling and reinstalling it / both after the last installation of any other software.
    *What is this? I did go to microsoft.com and installed JSscript.

Thanks for the help....

Bill from Denver

Hello, again.

Firstly, at the risk of causing irritation to you ( NOT my intention ) I feel I should point out that there is a massive difference between Java and JavaScript. JScript is Microsoft's own version of the JavaScript scripting language. Java programs are identifiable by having the word ".class" after them.

The JRE is the Java Runtime Environment, and any computer that needs to run Java programs must have this ( or the Java Virtual Machine) installed. If this becomes corrupt, Java programs will no longer run. In such situations I would uninstall and reinstall the JRE. Personally speaking, I would install the latest stable version of the JRE from SUN, as this is obviously much more up-to-date, and allows the latest Java classes to run on your computer.

http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html

Hope this helps,
    Joyous Monkey

HAIL to the MONKEY!!!

Wahhhhooo!

Well, downloaded free software and installed and now it takes over and lets me see Java. For some reason, I must of deleted similar Java applications before.

I don't mind having it come up as a seperate program, as long as I see Java!!

Thanks again!

Bill Hallinan
    Denver, Colorado

Hi, Hobo Willy, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm exceptionally glad that your problem seems to have been atleast partially resolved. However, you mentioned that the solution "comes up as a separate program". Which program did you download... was it the link I posted or something else? Would you mind saying which program and what you mean by "separate program" as it may be possible to fine tune it slightly.

Thanks again for making the effort to reply.
    Joyous Monkey

Hi,

When something comes up that requires Java, a program called Java Web Start pops up and runs the java. A small icon rests just left of the time on the bottom bar also. it is hosted here on my compuetr: "C:\Program Files\Java Web Start\javaws.exe"

I don't know what is does technically, but know it runs java (I can see java).

Hello again.

Have you tried removing the WebStart from your startup menu? e.g. START > RUN > "msconfig" (OK) then click STARTUP and uncheck / untick the Webstart entry, and click OK. Restart the computer and try accessing Java as normal. If you can still see Java, fine. If not, go back into the startup and re-check / re-tick the Webstart entry, etc.

Hope this helps,
    Joyous Monkey

More problems...

Ocasionally,,,not everytime (but more often), I am getting the error I will post below after my comment. Its the same error, but it doesnt happen everytime I try to open my website withe the ANFY mosiac.class Java routine. As the page opens it crashes AOL completely (AOL disappears off screen).

Bill

Here is the error code I get:

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
    Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at PC=0x6D1B4618
    Function=[Unknown.]
    Library=(N/A)

NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
    just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
    reason and solutions.

Current Java thread:
    at sun.awt.font.NativeFontWrapper.registerFonts(Native Method)
    - locked <161B9018> (a java.lang.Class)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.addPathFonts(Unknown Source)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.registerFonts(Unknown Source)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.access$100(Unknown Source)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment$2.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.loadFonts(Unknown Source)
    - locked <107DA240> (a sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment)
    at sun.java2d.SunGraphicsEnvironment.mapFontName(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Font.initializeFont(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Font.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at Lware.<init>(Lware.java)
    at mosaic.init(mosaic.java)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Dynamic libraries:
    0x70EA0000 - 0x70EDC000 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSHTMLED.DLL

Local Time = Tue Feb 25 22:11:20 2003
    Elapsed Time = 2433
    #
    # The exception above was detected in native code outside the VM
    #
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.1_01-b01 mixed mode)
    #

HUMMM,,,,now its actually crashing AOL 7.0 or AOL 8.0 evertime!

***??