Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS)/COM+ Under Linux? - Page 2

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Transaction Server (MTS)/COM+ Under Linux?

I am thinking you are not familiar with MTS/COM+.

Those two implementations are DTC's (distributed transaction coordinators). The fact that they also serve as object containers/activators is only half the equation. However, they are NOT application servers.

MSDTC is used to coordinate transactions among several disparate, often distributed, sometimes geographically separated, and heterogeneous systems. You can involve an ASP page, a COM object written in C++/VB, and an MSSQL transaction all in the SAME transaction. A failure in the ASP page within the transaction bounds? It will roll back the transaction everywhere, including in the database.

The original question was about transactions, not application servers:

"Can anyone tell me whether there is a Linux equivalent of Microsoft's Transaction Server now bundled up into COM+ ?

I'm looking for a Linux version of a componentized scalable transaction server. Does such a beast exist?"

The correct answer is "no, there is no equivalent to MTS/COM+ in Linux". Those who think that J2EE is that equivalent, understand neither the question nor MTS/COM+.

If you review my first post closely, without the knee-jerk fanatical response, you will find nowhere that I claimed anything about J2EE's support for transactions.

I came across this thread because I too am looking for "such a beast", preferably open-source, specifically for the LAMP stack. It is looking very much like it will have to be done from scratch if I want it.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by gjunker
    I am thinking you are not familiar with MTS/COM+.

Those two implementations are DTC's (distributed transaction coordinators). The fact that they also serve as object containers/activators is only half the equation. However, they are NOT application servers.

MSDTC is used to coordinate transactions among several disparate, often distributed, sometimes geographically separated, and heterogeneous systems. You can involve an ASP page, a COM object written in C++/VB, and an MSSQL transaction all in the SAME transaction. A failure in the ASP page within the transaction bounds? It will roll back the transaction everywhere, including in the database.

The original question was about transactions, not application servers:

"Can anyone tell me whether there is a Linux equivalent of Microsoft's Transaction Server now bundled up into COM+ ?

I'm looking for a Linux version of a componentized scalable transaction server. Does such a beast exist?"

The correct answer is "no, there is no equivalent to MTS/COM+ in Linux". Those who think that J2EE is that equivalent, understand neither the question nor MTS/COM+.

If you review my first post closely, without the knee-jerk fanatical response, you will find nowhere that I claimed anything about J2EE's support for transactions.

I came across this thread because I too am looking for "such a beast", preferably open-source, specifically for the LAMP stack. It is looking very much like it will have to be done from scratch if I want it.
    Listen, if your talking about MTS, then talk about MTS, if your talking about MSDTC then talk about MSDTC.

I sincerely find it amazing that you believe java has no counterpart. Distributed Transactions are STANDARD BEHAVIOR for ALL THE LATEST VERSIONS OF J2EE SERVERS! BAH..

MSDTC equivalents also exist.! Did you think they didn't.? Do you think large banks home cook they're software systems support transactions.! or are they all using MTS and MSDTC lol.

Can I please get some help from other java&/MS developers here..!

I have worked as a consultant for 8 years and have worked in both MS worlds and Java. I have worked extensively with MTS and please, to say MTS is not an application server.. dude, your making a fool of yourself.

I was sincerely trying to help you but it appears you do not WANT an answer to your question, or the answer is just not to your liking.. But if you do want an answer, if u want a CONTAINER (WHICH MTS IS:!) that handles DISTRIBUTED transactions even if
    "you involve a JSP PAGE, Session Bean and a MSSQL transaction"
    (Since you dont run COM components, MTS on Linux I assume you ARE looking for counterparts..)

If your using the LAMP stack, your probably gonna script and not use java, but if u change your mind.

Try teaming up Tomcat and JBOSS 4.0

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?i...1&fp=16&fpid=0

Please search for the word Distributed Transaction on that page before you flame back.

All open source.. Merry Xmas
    Last edited by aaronsevivas; 05-26-2004 at 07:07 AM.
    Share on Google+

The combination of JBoss and Tomcat is why I went back to .NET. Thank God for Mono.

No one is flaming but you, whose definition of "application server" apparently differs greatly from mine, as I understand the common usage of the term. Funny you are the only one who seems to consider MTS as an "application server". Not even Microsoft calls it that.

http://www.theserverside.com/reviews/matrix.tss

http://www.microsoft.com/com/wpaper/mts-ejb.asp

"Microsoft® Transaction Server (MTS) is the transaction service in the Windows NT® operating system. " -- Microsoft

Someone is making a fool of themselves, anyway...

I personaly am not looking for duplicate functionality to MTS on Linux. I was perfectly able to involve both an ASP page and MS SQL queries in a transaction without ever once involving a component contained in an activation container. I wish the same capability I get with ASP, IIS and MSSQL, using just PHP, Apache and MySQL.

Ok, so you know of at least one distributed transaction coordinator for the LAMP stack. Open Source. Name it. I have yet to see you do so. Lots of bluster, not a single reference other than Java J2EE blather blah yada. If I wanted that I would use it. I don't.

Try to phrase an answer without using the word "Java" if you can. In case you hadn't noticed, "Java" != "Linux"
    Last edited by gjunker; 05-26-2004 at 05:04 PM.
    Share on Google+

You just mentioned the LAMP stack in the last post so of course i didnt know you were a kiddie scripter.

Im not gonna attempt to find an open source distributed transaction coordinator for for you, but you can prob find one, thats up to you. Whether one exists or not for LAMP, I dont know and I dont care..

You keep mentioning MTS, but your talking about MSDTC service, get your facts straight.

This is my last post on this thread, good luck and happy scripting! Scripter!

~a real programmer
    Share on Google+

Yes, of course, the 'mature' response I expected...when shown up, call names and try to change the subject. I'd mention my ten years of C++ on real, released, large-scale commercial products but you've stuck your fingers in your ears and are going "nyahh nyahh nyahh I'm not listening", so it would be wasted breath.

You might grow up someday, and when you do, you'll find life infintely more satisfying. Until then, best of luck in whatever you do.
    Share on Google+

Red face

I'm going to reply because your ignorant ranting is annoying.

MTS is http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ktour_10vm.asp

Quote "MTS is a component-based transaction processing system for building, deploying, and administering robust Internet and intranet server applications. In addition, MTS allows you to deploy and administer your MTS server applications with a rich graphical tool (MTS Explorer). "

What is a component in the old MTS MS world?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...def01_1yih.asp

Look at component.. "A discrete unit of code built on ActiveX technologies that delivers a well-specified set of services through well-specified interfaces. Components provide the objects that clients request at run time."

ActiveX is COM

There is absolutely no doubt, after reading how MS defines MTS, that you now realize you were incorrect in your presumptions about MTS.

We have all answered your question correctly, but it seems you have no idea what your asking since you have no idea what MTS is. You should have asked about the MSDTC but I guess your crack smoking burned out that last brain cell.

When asking a question, try to respond with a little more patience and couth (like that crack smoking reference, you know.. tasteful flaming). We are, after all, taking time out to actually try and help you, not confuse.
    Share on Google+

When asking a question, try to respond with a little more patience and couth (like that crack smoking reference, you know.. tasteful flaming). We are, after all, taking time out to actually try and help you, not confuse.
    *** are you talking about? Who are you replying to? If me (****, even if it's not), please point out what it is that has your panties in a wad six months after this thread's last post?
    Share on Google+

LOL I just googled my name and saw your response for the first time.

Better late than never!
    Share on Google+

er, ok....

Happy New Year! now that you dragged me back in here.
    Share on Google+

Ditto! <toast>
    Share on Google+

Hi Tim,

You can make Java on Linux talk to Microsoft Transaction Server or COM+ using J-Integra for COM. Here is a Java accessing MTS example.
    http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/suppo...der/index.html

In such an approach, MTS can be accessed from any Linux machine just as MTS runs on Linux. With J-Integra, any Java object on any platform can access any COM component and vice versa.

Raymond HE
    J-Integra Interoperability Solutions
    http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/
    high performance interop middleware for java, corba, com & .net
    Share on Google+