VBasic Platform


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: VBasic Platform

  1. #1
    JK Guest

    VBasic Platform


    Can ayone tell me how I can create vb applications for other programs (e.g.
    Word, Excel etc) from the visual basic software I have with Microsoft Access?
    Is it any different from the standalone V basic package you can buy?

  2. #2
    Arthur Wood Guest

    Re: VBasic Platform


    JK,
    I am not sure I follow wqhat you are driving at. If you are asking, can
    you use Access to cntrol other Office applications, FORM WITHIN Access, the
    answer is a qualified "sort of". If you are asking, can you make a Code
    block in Access, and then copy the code block to Excel, and expect it wo
    work, without any changes, then the answer is generally NO.

    VBA is a dialect (actually a set of dialects) of standalone VB. In Office
    97, the underlyng VB model is most closely related to VB 5, while for Offce
    2000, the VBA is closer to VB 6. But VBA is still a set of dialects, heavily
    tailored to the particular Office application in which it is being used.
    There are MANY VB 6 (Standalone) features that are not supported in any
    way in VBA (for instance, VB allows you to build Control Arrays, VBA does
    NOT) The similarities/differences between VB Stand-alone and the various
    implementations of VBA are sort of like the similarities/differences between
    English as spoken and used in the US and English as spoken and used in London,
    England. Fundamentally, they are the same language, but the differences
    can really catch you if you aren't aware of them (In US English a BOOT is
    something you wear on your feet, but in London, a BOOT is the place, in the
    back of your car, where you store luggage and your spare tire).

    Hope this helps

    Arthur Wood


    "JK" <kerryjimkerry@cs.com> wrote:
    >
    >Can ayone tell me how I can create vb applications for other programs (e.g.
    >Word, Excel etc) from the visual basic software I have with Microsoft Access?
    >Is it any different from the standalone V basic package you can buy?



  3. #3
    JK Guest

    Re: VBasic Platform


    Thanks Arthur,

    I posted a similar message in the database forum before I actually read your
    message. Your message was very infomative, thanks. If I wanted to use a standalone
    VB would I have to buy the whole thing even though I have the VBA with Access
    2000?

    JK


    "Arthur Wood" <wooda@saic-trsc.com> wrote:
    >
    >JK,
    > I am not sure I follow wqhat you are driving at. If you are asking,

    can
    >you use Access to cntrol other Office applications, FORM WITHIN Access,

    the
    >answer is a qualified "sort of". If you are asking, can you make a Code
    >block in Access, and then copy the code block to Excel, and expect it wo
    >work, without any changes, then the answer is generally NO.
    >
    >VBA is a dialect (actually a set of dialects) of standalone VB. In Office
    >97, the underlyng VB model is most closely related to VB 5, while for Offce
    >2000, the VBA is closer to VB 6. But VBA is still a set of dialects, heavily
    >tailored to the particular Office application in which it is being used.
    > There are MANY VB 6 (Standalone) features that are not supported in any
    >way in VBA (for instance, VB allows you to build Control Arrays, VBA does
    >NOT) The similarities/differences between VB Stand-alone and the various
    >implementations of VBA are sort of like the similarities/differences between
    >English as spoken and used in the US and English as spoken and used in London,
    >England. Fundamentally, they are the same language, but the differences
    >can really catch you if you aren't aware of them (In US English a BOOT is
    >something you wear on your feet, but in London, a BOOT is the place, in

    the
    >back of your car, where you store luggage and your spare tire).
    >
    >Hope this helps
    >
    >Arthur Wood
    >
    >
    >"JK" <kerryjimkerry@cs.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Can ayone tell me how I can create vb applications for other programs (e.g.
    >>Word, Excel etc) from the visual basic software I have with Microsoft Access?
    >>Is it any different from the standalone V basic package you can buy?

    >



  4. #4
    Arthur Wood Guest

    Re: VBasic Platform


    As I have spelled out in an answer to another of your questions (VB.DATABSE.GENERAL)
    Standalone VB IS NOT the same thing as VBA within Access. If you want to
    create GENERAL VB apps, you MUST purchase VB 6 Standalone. To do NAYTHING
    which is databse related, you MUST use at least VB 6 Professional - VB 6
    Learning Edition DOES NOT 1) include ANY of the Databse realted tools (DAO/ADO...)
    and 2) llow you to create EXE's from your VB Projects.

    In addition, you CANNOT create EXE's from ANY of the implementations to VBA
    within another application (Access/Word/Excel etc)

    Arthur Wood


    "JK" <kerryjimkerry@cs.com> wrote:
    >
    >Thanks Arthur,
    >
    >I posted a similar message in the database forum before I actually read

    your
    >message. Your message was very infomative, thanks. If I wanted to use a

    standalone
    >VB would I have to buy the whole thing even though I have the VBA with Access
    >2000?
    >
    >JK
    >
    >
    >"Arthur Wood" <wooda@saic-trsc.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>JK,
    >> I am not sure I follow wqhat you are driving at. If you are asking,

    >can
    >>you use Access to cntrol other Office applications, FORM WITHIN Access,

    >the
    >>answer is a qualified "sort of". If you are asking, can you make a Code
    >>block in Access, and then copy the code block to Excel, and expect it wo
    >>work, without any changes, then the answer is generally NO.
    >>
    >>VBA is a dialect (actually a set of dialects) of standalone VB. In Office
    >>97, the underlyng VB model is most closely related to VB 5, while for Offce
    >>2000, the VBA is closer to VB 6. But VBA is still a set of dialects, heavily
    >>tailored to the particular Office application in which it is being used.
    >> There are MANY VB 6 (Standalone) features that are not supported in any
    >>way in VBA (for instance, VB allows you to build Control Arrays, VBA does
    >>NOT) The similarities/differences between VB Stand-alone and the various
    >>implementations of VBA are sort of like the similarities/differences between
    >>English as spoken and used in the US and English as spoken and used in

    London,
    >>England. Fundamentally, they are the same language, but the differences
    >>can really catch you if you aren't aware of them (In US English a BOOT

    is
    >>something you wear on your feet, but in London, a BOOT is the place, in

    >the
    >>back of your car, where you store luggage and your spare tire).
    >>
    >>Hope this helps
    >>
    >>Arthur Wood
    >>
    >>
    >>"JK" <kerryjimkerry@cs.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Can ayone tell me how I can create vb applications for other programs

    (e.g.
    >>>Word, Excel etc) from the visual basic software I have with Microsoft

    Access?
    >>>Is it any different from the standalone V basic package you can buy?

    >>

    >



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center