Enough Language Bigotry! - Page 2


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 95

Thread: Enough Language Bigotry!

  1. #16
    Michael Culley Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    Mike,

    So the entire human race should be courteous towards programmers? This
    sounds pretty good

    --
    Michael Culley
    www.vbdotcom.com

    "Mike Mitchell" <kylix_is@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3a8875c8.5059016@msnews.microsoft.com...
    > On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:57:34 -0600, "Jacob Grass"
    > <JGrass@abilitisolutions.com> wrote:
    >
    > >A Professional Programmer shall:
    > >
    > >1. conduct himself towards other professional programmers with courtesy

    and
    > >good faith and without malicious intent.

    >
    > Well, you could say this about the whole human race, not just
    > programmers, nor even the professional ones.
    >
    > MM




  2. #17
    Nollen Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!


    In this case, he DOES amount to much...he is now a LEAD developer for an unamed
    software company......oh, okay, okay, the first five letters are Micro. You
    draw your own concusions...while the real programmers continue slammin' you
    VB losers, who could't prgrammer a 1985 VCR, with buttons the size of 40DD
    tits!

    -Nollen-

    "Mark Burns" <mark@iolofpa.com> wrote:
    >
    >"Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >news:3a887ef6$1@news.devx.com...
    >> Oh yeah, honest to God, one of my well respected
    >> programming teachers in college once told me "A Visual Basic programmer

    is
    >> NOT a real programmer...just someone who knows how to use a fancy editor
    >> well.". Hmmm, he could have just had a bad day...but who knows?

    >
    >With all due respect to your "well respected teacher" <which, in this case
    >amounts to "not much">, he/she is clearly an idiot suffering from some
    >significant language bigotry of his/her own. ...and now You, the dutiful
    >student, infected with those language bigotry memes come in here spouting
    >off about, of all things, language bigotry??!!!
    >
    >BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
    >
    >
    >



  3. #18
    Karl E. Peterson Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    Nollen --

    > Each and every language has its own purpose and design.


    That's the story out of Redmond, alright...

    "So really the choice of what language to use comes down to personal preference."
    Ron Jacobs [MSFT]
    http://discuss.develop.com/archives/...=DOTNET&P=R133

    "...no language is considered to be 'the best' by Microsoft for the
    purposes of developing on the .NET platform. Just to reiterate: the
    whole point is language choice"
    Paul Vick [MSFT]
    http://discuss.develop.com/archives/...OTNET&P=R97774

    "We're trying to deliver a system that returns the choice of programming
    language to the developer rather than in the hands of the system/frameworks
    developers."
    Tony Goodhew [MSFT]
    http://discuss.develop.com/archives/...OTNET&P=R22839

    "The entire raison d'etre of the .NET platform is language neutrality and
    language choice."
    Paul Vick [MSFT]
    http://discuss.develop.com/archives/...OTNET&P=R97774

    "I think the important thing I was saying is that for the great bulk of tasks
    the languages are equally good."
    Tony Goodhew [MSFT]
    http://discuss.develop.com/archives/...OTNET&P=R22814

    Later... Karl
    --
    http://www.mvps.org/vb




    "Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3a876d8b$1@news.devx.com...
    >
    > The first rule of conduct in “professional programming” is to avoid language
    > bigotry. Each and every language has its own purpose and design. A language
    > is a tool in the programmer’s hands. Can you imagine a carpenter arguing
    > with other carpenters why a hammer is better than a chisel? Obviously not…if
    > you are so “hung up” on language bigotry and or language superiority, you
    > might want to think about your motives or reasons. Most bigots are simply
    > confused and ignorant about the facts. Grow up.
    >
    > -Nollen-
    >



  4. #19
    Gerry Jioekle Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!


    Yes Nollen. You may have a point. Visual Basic programmers are "a certain
    breed"...possibly inbred, but take your flame mail elsewhere!

    GJ

    "Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >In this case, he DOES amount to much...he is now a LEAD developer for an

    unamed
    >software company......oh, okay, okay, the first five letters are Micro.

    You
    >draw your own concusions...while the real programmers continue slammin'

    you
    >VB losers, who could't prgrammer a 1985 VCR, with buttons the size of 40DD
    >tits!
    >
    >-Nollen-
    >
    >"Mark Burns" <mark@iolofpa.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>news:3a887ef6$1@news.devx.com...
    >>> Oh yeah, honest to God, one of my well respected
    >>> programming teachers in college once told me "A Visual Basic programmer

    >is
    >>> NOT a real programmer...just someone who knows how to use a fancy editor
    >>> well.". Hmmm, he could have just had a bad day...but who knows?

    >>
    >>With all due respect to your "well respected teacher" <which, in this case
    >>amounts to "not much">, he/she is clearly an idiot suffering from some
    >>significant language bigotry of his/her own. ...and now You, the dutiful
    >>student, infected with those language bigotry memes come in here spouting
    >>off about, of all things, language bigotry??!!!
    >>
    >>BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >



  5. #20
    Jonathan Wood Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    David,

    > Creates a thread with...
    >
    > > The first rule of conduct in "professional programming" is to avoid

    > language
    > > bigotry. Each and every language has its own purpose and design. A

    > language
    > > is a tool in the programmer's hands.

    >
    > Followed by...
    >
    > > while the real programmers continue slammin' you
    > > VB losers, who could't prgrammer a 1985 VCR, with buttons the size of

    40DD
    > > tits!

    >
    > Any more Nollen's in there?


    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that! <g>

    Nollen must be trolling. Go find another newsgroup Nollen.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming
    http://www.softcircuits.com



  6. #21
    David Bayley Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    Creates a thread with...

    > The first rule of conduct in "professional programming" is to avoid

    language
    > bigotry. Each and every language has its own purpose and design. A

    language
    > is a tool in the programmer's hands.


    Followed by...

    > while the real programmers continue slammin' you
    > VB losers, who could't prgrammer a 1985 VCR, with buttons the size of 40DD
    > tits!


    Any more Nollen's in there?

    --
    David.




  7. #22
    Nollen Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!


    Nice. Blithering moron? I don't think so, not by a long shot. But anyway,
    we're all entitled to our opinions, however uneducated they may be. Visual
    Basic is most definitely ideal for creating NON-PERFORMANCE critical Windows
    FRONT-END applications, or for prototyping. In some cases, with slightly
    more time, you could create the equivalent application in C++. If you know
    your syntax, and logistics very well, C++ development is NOT necessarily
    more time consuming. That again, is an uneducated response. Go back to the
    village.

    -Nolly!-


    "Sjoerd Verweij" <nospam.sjoerd@sjoerd.org> wrote:
    >> That slipped out too...hee-hee. Oh yeah, honest to God, one of my well
    >> respected programming teachers in college once told me "A Visual Basic
    >> programmer is NOT a real programmer...just someone who knows how to use

    a
    >> fancy editor well.".

    >
    >I shudder to think what kind of programmers a blithering moron like that
    >produces. If a programmer reaches for C++ when asked to create a
    >non-performance critical Windows front-end instead of Visual Basic or Delphi
    >is _not_ a good programmer.
    >
    >A good programmer uses the right tool for the job.
    >
    >
    >



  8. #23
    Joe \Nuke Me Xemu\ Foster Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    "Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message <news:3a88a0ee$1@news.devx.com>...

    > Nice. Blithering moron? I don't think so, not by a long shot. But anyway,
    > we're all entitled to our opinions, however uneducated they may be. Visual
    > Basic is most definitely ideal for creating NON-PERFORMANCE critical Windows
    > FRONT-END applications, or for prototyping. In some cases, with slightly
    > more time, you could create the equivalent application in C++. If you know
    > your syntax, and logistics very well, C++ development is NOT necessarily
    > more time consuming. That again, is an uneducated response. Go back to the
    > village.


    So it takes a "real" programming ninja more time and effort, not to
    mention plenty of weasel words, to do what any old VB idiot can do?
    Who's the blithering moron now?

    --
    Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster@ricochet.net> Space Cooties! <http://www.xenu.net/>
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
    because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!



  9. #24
    Joe \Nuke Me Xemu\ Foster Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    "Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message <news:3a88838d$1@news.devx.com>...

    > In this case, he DOES amount to much...he is now a LEAD developer for an unamed
    > software company......oh, okay, okay, the first five letters are Micro. You
    > draw your own concusions...while the real programmers continue slammin' you
    > VB losers, who could't prgrammer a 1985 VCR, with buttons the size of 40DD
    > tits!


    And is he one of the ones who's trying to make VB into a "real" language
    all at once, instead of phasing in the changes, because he knows what's
    best for everybody? And does "what's best" toss into the garbage one of
    the keys to exception-safe code, using local-scoped objects for resource
    management, thanks to VB.NOT's non-deterministic finalization? Oops!

    Just remember, before your next prayer to LEAD developers, or 40DD tits
    for that matter, there was a LEAD developer who brought us MS Bob...

    --
    Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster@ricochet.net> Got Thetans? <http://www.xenu.net/>
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
    because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!



  10. #25
    Steve Dee Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    Mike,
    > You're absolutely right, of course. Mind you, I fail to see how anyone
    > in their right mind could possibly WANT to program in that
    > God-forsaken language known as C....


    Could be that we aren't in our right minds! But then, most geeks are a bit
    on the strange side. "Throw another twinkie under that door...."



  11. #26
    Steve Dee Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    Sjoerd,

    > I shudder to think what kind of programmers a blithering moron like that
    > produces. If a programmer reaches for C++ when asked to create a
    > non-performance critical Windows front-end instead of Visual Basic or

    Delphi
    > is _not_ a good programmer.


    Excellent!!!!!! I'm more fond of C/C++ than VB, but cannot even imagine
    writing a front end GUI in C/C++ (unless it's absolutely necessary.....and
    then only in C...read "no footprint").

    Why someone would subject themselves to writing a GUI in C/C++ for the most
    part is beyond me....writing support on the other hand....

    > A good programmer uses the right tool for the job.


    AMEN!



  12. #27
    Steve Dee Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    Same reason that SUN tried to turn Java into Smalltalk???????? Because it's
    there?

    "Joe "Nuke Me Xemu" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote in message
    news:3a8791ef@news.devx.com...
    > "Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    <news:3a876d8b$1@news.devx.com>...
    >
    > > The first rule of conduct in “professional programming” is to avoid

    language
    > > bigotry. Each and every language has its own purpose and design. A

    language
    > > is a tool in the programmer’s hands. Can you imagine a carpenter arguing
    > > with other carpenters why a hammer is better than a chisel? Obviously

    not…if
    > > you are so “hung up” on language bigotry and or language superiority,

    you
    > > might want to think about your motives or reasons. Most bigots are

    simply
    > > confused and ignorant about the facts. Grow up.

    >
    > So why is Microsoft trying to turn VB into Smalltalk?
    >
    > --
    > Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster@ricochet.net> Space Cooties!

    <http://www.xenu.net/>
    > WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're

    coming to
    > because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away,

    ha ha!
    >
    >




  13. #28
    Nollen Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!


    Whatever. You know what I was trying to say. And moreover, you know I'm right...weasel
    words or not.

    -Nolly-

    "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
    >"Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message <news:3a88a0ee$1@news.devx.com>...
    >
    >> Nice. Blithering moron? I don't think so, not by a long shot. But anyway,
    >> we're all entitled to our opinions, however uneducated they may be. Visual
    >> Basic is most definitely ideal for creating NON-PERFORMANCE critical Windows
    >> FRONT-END applications, or for prototyping. In some cases, with slightly
    >> more time, you could create the equivalent application in C++. If you

    know
    >> your syntax, and logistics very well, C++ development is NOT necessarily
    >> more time consuming. That again, is an uneducated response. Go back to

    the
    >> village.

    >
    >So it takes a "real" programming ninja more time and effort, not to
    >mention plenty of weasel words, to do what any old VB idiot can do?
    >Who's the blithering moron now?
    >
    >--
    >Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster@ricochet.net> Space Cooties! <http://www.xenu.net/>
    >WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming

    to
    >because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away,

    ha ha!
    >
    >



  14. #29
    Nollen Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!


    Sorry, have to get back to my C++ book....can't waste my time on nonsense
    misguided...over shot threads...you people astound me for carrying this thread
    as long as it had...DO WE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO? At least someone invented
    MS Bob...rather than wasting their time trying to prove a cause on an obscure
    forum tucked away on a developer community...

    -Nolly-

    "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
    >"Nollen" <Nollen@hotmail.com> wrote in message <news:3a88838d$1@news.devx.com>...
    >
    >> In this case, he DOES amount to much...he is now a LEAD developer for

    an unamed
    >> software company......oh, okay, okay, the first five letters are Micro.

    You
    >> draw your own concusions...while the real programmers continue slammin'

    you
    >> VB losers, who could't prgrammer a 1985 VCR, with buttons the size of

    40DD
    >> tits!

    >
    >And is he one of the ones who's trying to make VB into a "real" language
    >all at once, instead of phasing in the changes, because he knows what's
    >best for everybody? And does "what's best" toss into the garbage one of
    >the keys to exception-safe code, using local-scoped objects for resource
    >management, thanks to VB.NOT's non-deterministic finalization? Oops!
    >
    >Just remember, before your next prayer to LEAD developers, or 40DD tits
    >for that matter, there was a LEAD developer who brought us MS Bob...
    >
    >--
    >Joe Foster <mailto:jfoster@ricochet.net> Got Thetans? <http://www.xenu.net/>
    >WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming

    to
    >because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away,

    ha ha!
    >
    >



  15. #30
    Michael Culley Guest

    Re: Enough Language Bigotry!

    >>I won't respond to any flames about this, there is no need for it.

    It seams she is now not only responding to flames, but doing plenty of
    flaming herself!!

    --
    Michael Culley
    www.vbdotcom.com


    "Jonathan Wood" <jwood@softcircuits.com> wrote in message
    news:3a888f8b@news.devx.com...
    > David,
    >
    > > Creates a thread with...
    > >
    > > > The first rule of conduct in "professional programming" is to avoid

    > > language
    > > > bigotry. Each and every language has its own purpose and design. A

    > > language
    > > > is a tool in the programmer's hands.

    > >
    > > Followed by...
    > >
    > > > while the real programmers continue slammin' you
    > > > VB losers, who could't prgrammer a 1985 VCR, with buttons the size of

    > 40DD
    > > > tits!

    > >
    > > Any more Nollen's in there?

    >
    > Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that! <g>
    >
    > Nollen must be trolling. Go find another newsgroup Nollen.
    >
    > --
    > Jonathan Wood
    > SoftCircuits Programming
    > http://www.softcircuits.com
    >
    >




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center