What are the Advantages of VB.NET? - Page 4


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 143

Thread: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

  1. #46
    Mike Mitchell Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    On 6 Feb 2003 06:27:59 -0800, "Patrick Troughton"
    <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote:

    >
    >Hi Sandhya,
    >
    >Sorry, lots of typos in my first post, let me try again....


    Yeah, I noticed! Even case insensitivity won't fix them!

    MM

  2. #47
    Mike Mitchell Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    On 6 Feb 2003 18:55:41 -0800, "blob" <blob@blobbloblboblo.com> wrote:

    >Yeah, tell him the truth. It adds all the **** that you mentioned so you
    >don't have to use real programming languages and actually learn something.


    No one should have to use real programming languages any longer.
    Computer science should get its *** in gear and come up wth a RAD
    system that uses pictures, iterative prototyping, programming by
    example, and other genuine innovations.

    MM

  3. #48
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Hi Mike,

    http://www.softwire.com/prod_intro-4.html

    /Pat
    --------------------------
    It's the platform, stupid.
    --------------------------

    Mike Mitchell <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >On 6 Feb 2003 18:55:41 -0800, "blob" <blob@blobbloblboblo.com> wrote:
    >
    >No one should have to use real programming languages any longer.
    >Computer science should get its *** in gear and come up wth a RAD
    >system that uses pictures, iterative prototyping, programming by
    >example, and other genuine innovations.
    >
    >MM



  4. #49
    Miguel Santos Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    "Mike Mitchell" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:ve474vg9v3red58n1sr4qi605tk5npit61@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:02:07 +0100, <RemoveThisToMail_ms@netvisao.pt>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >.....................Well talk again in a few years time and see what
    > >prevailed.

    >
    > One word: L-i-n-u-x.
    >
    > MM


    Gosh, has it been a few years already? Time sure flies...

    Miguel Santos



  5. #50
    Miguel Santos Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    "Mike Mitchell" <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:b6474vkmm5kbiartjvuthjctnv9a7dh3bl@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:38:36 -0000, "Miguel Santos"
    > <RemoveThisToMail_ms@netvisao.pt> wrote:
    >
    > >(needed those sarcams tags so ppl wouldn't confuse me with MM

    >
    > <sarcasm>
    >
    > Oh?
    >
    > </sarcasm>
    >
    > Ah, I see what you mean now.
    >
    > MM


    Hey, I meant Marilyn Monroe

    Miguel Santos



  6. #51
    Miguel Santos Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    "blob" <blob@blobbloblboblo.com> wrote in message
    news:3e432418$1@tnews.web.devx.com...
    >
    >
    > public class C : I
    >


    What is that?
    Oh, I got it, it's an Indian guy with a turban and a silly smile!

    Miguel Santos



  7. #52
    Larry Triezenberg Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    Interesting, particularly the LEGOŽ components....

    "Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message
    news:3e43a8b7$1@tnews.web.devx.com...
    > http://www.softwire.com/prod_intro-4.html




  8. #53
    Larry Triezenberg Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    Why not eliminate the goto with:

    Do While blnCondition = False
    'do some processing
    'if NOT (some condition) then
    'do some processing
    'end if
    Loop
    <g>

    "Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton@.com> wrote in message
    news:3e42fe09$1@tnews.web.devx.com...
    >
    > Hi Dan,
    >
    > That would be fine with me. The only time I use GoTo is in the situation
    > I just described...
    >
    > While blnCondition = False
    > 'do some processing
    >
    > 'if some condition then
    > GoTo Continue
    > 'end if
    > 'do some processing
    >
    > Continue:
    > End While
    >
    > If VB ever gets a Continue statement, getting rid of GoTo would be very

    easy
    > for me to do. It pays to think ahead. Also, if I even need to port VB.NET
    > code to C#, again, it would be very easy to do.
    >
    > /Pat
    > --------------------------
    > It's the platform, stupid.
    > --------------------------
    >
    > Dan Barclay <Dan@MVPs.org> wrote:
    > >On 6 Feb 2003 15:19:04 -0800, "Patrick Troughton"
    > ><Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >Yup, maybe you should look for that change in the next version.
    > >Getting rid of that will keep people from writing nasty spaghetti
    > >code.
    > >
    > >Dan
    > >Language Stability is a *feature* I wish VB had!
    > > (#6)/(#1!)
    > >Error 51
    > >Error 3
    > >Error 9
    > >....

    >




  9. #54
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Hi Larry,

    It was an example.

    /Pat
    --------------------------
    It's the platform, stupid.
    --------------------------

    "Larry Triezenberg" <ltriezenberg@pathsys.com> wrote:
    >Why not eliminate the goto with:
    >
    >Do While blnCondition = False
    > 'do some processing
    > 'if NOT (some condition) then
    > 'do some processing
    > 'end if
    >Loop
    ><g>
    >
    >"Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton@.com> wrote in message
    >news:3e42fe09$1@tnews.web.devx.com...
    >>
    >> Hi Dan,
    >>
    >> That would be fine with me. The only time I use GoTo is in the situation
    >> I just described...
    >>
    >> While blnCondition = False
    >> 'do some processing
    >>
    >> 'if some condition then
    >> GoTo Continue
    >> 'end if
    >> 'do some processing
    >>
    >> Continue:
    >> End While
    >>
    >> If VB ever gets a Continue statement, getting rid of GoTo would be very

    >easy
    >> for me to do. It pays to think ahead. Also, if I even need to port VB.NET
    >> code to C#, again, it would be very easy to do.
    >>
    >> /Pat
    >> --------------------------
    >> It's the platform, stupid.
    >> --------------------------



  10. #55
    Bob Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Mike Mitchell <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >On 6 Feb 2003 11:25:10 -0800, "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >>The obsolete GoSub command, for one.

    >
    >But you don't have to use it, do you? Why remove it just to spite
    >those that do?
    >
    >MM

    Tough love. Babies who dont' give up the bottle on their own must be weaned
    eventually.

  11. #56
    Kent Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Bob,

    You hold the record on moronic posts. You think if you poo poo the problems
    of others long enough that you're helping the situation?

    Kent

    "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >Mike Mitchell <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>On 6 Feb 2003 11:25:10 -0800, "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>
    >>>The obsolete GoSub command, for one.

    >>
    >>But you don't have to use it, do you? Why remove it just to spite
    >>those that do?
    >>
    >>MM

    >Tough love. Babies who dont' give up the bottle on their own must be weaned
    >eventually.



  12. #57
    Bob Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    "Kent" <kp@kp.org> wrote:
    >
    >Bob,
    >
    >You hold the record on moronic posts. You think if you poo poo the problems
    >of others long enough that you're helping the situation?
    >
    >Kent


    I know your mad now, but dont' worry, learn to use subroutines and it will
    all be over.

  13. #58
    Kent Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Interested in MINDSTORM?

    Check this out.

    http://tinyvm.sourceforge.net

    "Larry Triezenberg" <ltriezenberg@pathsys.com> wrote:
    >Interesting, particularly the LEGOŽ components....
    >
    >"Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message
    >news:3e43a8b7$1@tnews.web.devx.com...
    >> http://www.softwire.com/prod_intro-4.html

    >
    >



  14. #59
    Kent Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    You'll notice how many of your brain farts I actually take the time to respond
    to...

    "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >"Kent" <kp@kp.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>Bob,
    >>
    >>You hold the record on moronic posts. You think if you poo poo the problems
    >>of others long enough that you're helping the situation?
    >>
    >>Kent

    >
    >I know your mad now, but dont' worry, learn to use subroutines and it will
    >all be over.



  15. #60
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Hi Kent, Bob,

    A while back, someone was kind enough to go to the trouble of developing
    his own GoSub=>Sub converter exactly for these purposes. If memory serves
    me correctly, he even offered to give it away for free. But his efforts were
    promptly shot down by the .NOTters. It's sad, but you can't help people who
    don't want to be helped.

    /Pat
    --------------------------
    It's the platform, stupid.
    --------------------------

    "Kent" <kp@kp.org> wrote:
    >
    >Bob,
    >
    >You hold the record on moronic posts. You think if you poo poo the problems
    >of others long enough that you're helping the situation?
    >
    >Kent
    >
    >"Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>
    >>Mike Mitchell <kylix_is@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >>>On 6 Feb 2003 11:25:10 -0800, "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>The obsolete GoSub command, for one.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center