What are the Advantages of VB.NET? - Page 9


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 143

Thread: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

  1. #121
    Dan Barclay Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:25:22 -0800, "Phil Weber"
    <philweber@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > This "ranting" as you call it began long before VB.NET came to
    > > be...It began with VB1 and quieted as 3rd party vendors provided
    > > most of the "repair" of what was missing from the language. It
    > > began again at VB4 with breaking of a fundamental datatype and
    > > quieted as MS promised (and seemed to demonstrate with VB5)
    > > that they "got it." Now this.

    >
    >Dan: So, can we expect you to "quiet" again as MS or third parties "repair"
    >VB.NET?


    Nope. I made promises to some MS folks the last time that I wouldn't
    shut up if they did this again (again).

    >You've survived changes to the language for over a decade; why not
    >conclude that you'll get through the latest round just as you have in the
    >past?


    Because

    (1) the changes with VB1 were relatively minor, and the "build" would
    fail instead of just compiling incorrect code. The changes also were
    done in a way that I could change my *DOS* code, allowing me to make
    changes in my single source that would work in both DOS and Windows.
    This was to be a "one time, we had to do it to get to Windows fast, we
    won't do it again" excuse given by people with little MS Basic
    background. The DOS dev folks pretty much disappeared to other
    projects about that time.

    (2) The changes made with VB4 (particularly UNIMESS) continued to work
    in spite of documentation saying it wouldn't. Most people did *not*
    convert $trings to byte arrays to handle binary data because it
    continued to work if your country settings were typical US settings.
    They congregated a bunch of us and said "oops, we 'get it' and we
    won't do that again."

    So, you see, I can't very well trust them on this. However, I made a
    promise and I want them to be able to trust me.

    Dan
    Language Stability is a *feature* I wish VB had!
    (#6)/(#1!)
    Error 51
    Error 3
    Error 9
    ....

  2. #122
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Hi Dan,

    So how long do you plan on complaining? It's been 2-3 years so far. Will
    you be complaining 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Till the day you die? Far
    be it for me to tell other people how to live their lives, but life is too
    short to waste it like this.

    /Pat
    --------------------------
    It's the platform, stupid.
    --------------------------

    Dan Barclay <Dan@MVPs.org> wrote:
    >On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:25:22 -0800, "Phil Weber"
    ><philweber@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Dan: So, can we expect you to "quiet" again as MS or third parties "repair"
    >>VB.NET?

    >
    >Nope. I made promises to some MS folks the last time that I wouldn't
    >shut up if they did this again (again).



  3. #123
    Dan Barclay Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    On 12 Feb 2003 13:11:30 -0800, "Patrick Troughton"
    <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote:

    >So how long do you plan on complaining? It's been 2-3 years so far. Will
    >you be complaining 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Till the day you die?


    Dunno. I said (promised <g>) to others here that I wouldn't quit
    complaining until the problem was fixed or until I finished converting
    to some other environment. I speculated at the time that it could be
    a while. CouldBe.

    >Far
    >be it for me to tell other people how to live their lives, but life is too
    >short to waste it like this.


    Waste? Watching TV is a waste. Who knows, maybe I can save someone
    else from making the same mistake I made (trusting MS). Or, maybe, we
    can somehow get MS's attention. That wouldn't be a waste, even for
    you.

    Dan

    ----------------------
    It's the application, stupid
    ----------------------

    Language Stability is a *feature* I wish VB had!
    (#6)/(#1!)
    Error 51
    Error 3
    Error 9
    ....

  4. #124
    Kunle Odutola Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    Kent wrote:
    > Then it is my opinion against yours then? How is your opinion any
    > more valid than mine.


    I presented some reasons/arguments to support my opinion. You didn't.

    > As far as that goes, I doubt too many shops would choose VB.Net over
    > say C# based on the reasons you provided.


    It only takes one shop to vindicate my opinion.

    > There used to be real
    > advangages to using VB over C++. Those advantages are now gone
    > because of the .NEt platform.


    C++ is NOT C#. There are still advantages to using MC++ over VB.NET or C# or
    indeed F#. But that is another topic isn't it?

    > It's the platform supid!


    Actually, it's your spelling.... ;-)

    Kunle


  5. #125
    Kent Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Pat should ask himself how long he is going to wear that cheerleader outfit
    that he's wearing. It could really stand to be laundered.

    I hope you never stop Dan! These guys need to know we won't stand for this
    any longer.


    Dan Barclay <Dan@MVPs.org> wrote:
    >On 12 Feb 2003 13:11:30 -0800, "Patrick Troughton"
    ><Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote:
    >
    >>So how long do you plan on complaining? It's been 2-3 years so far. Will
    >>you be complaining 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Till the day you die?

    >
    >Dunno. I said (promised <g>) to others here that I wouldn't quit
    >complaining until the problem was fixed or until I finished converting
    >to some other environment. I speculated at the time that it could be
    >a while. CouldBe.
    >
    >>Far
    >>be it for me to tell other people how to live their lives, but life is

    too
    >>short to waste it like this.

    >
    >Waste? Watching TV is a waste. Who knows, maybe I can save someone
    >else from making the same mistake I made (trusting MS). Or, maybe, we
    >can somehow get MS's attention. That wouldn't be a waste, even for
    >you.
    >
    >Dan
    >
    >----------------------
    >It's the application, stupid
    >----------------------
    >
    >Language Stability is a *feature* I wish VB had!
    > (#6)/(#1!)
    >Error 51
    >Error 3
    >Error 9
    >....



  6. #126
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    > I hope you never stop Dan! These guys need to know
    > we won't stand for this any longer.


    Kent: We know! How many times do you think you need to tell us?

    If I hate my job, I quit and move on. I don't stay and gripe about it.
    Nobody's telling you that you must "stand for it." If you hate VB.NET or MS,
    fine: Use C# or Java. I'm just not into all the sour grapes negativity.

    You guys are like an ex-wife whose husband has had an affair. Rather than
    simply forgive him or divorce him and get on with your life, you'd stalk him
    and terrorize his future girlfriends.
    --
    Phil Weber


  7. #127
    Jens Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    > You guys are like an ex-wife whose husband has had an affair. Rather than
    > simply forgive him or divorce him and get on with your life, you'd stalk

    him
    > and terrorize his future girlfriends.


    Great comparisson.



  8. #128
    blob Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    "Mark Jerde" <mark.jerde@verizon.no.spam.net> wrote:
    >> C++ programmers have always had an advantage over VB developers.

    >
    >Having been the sole VB developer on a project with half a dozen VC++
    >developers, those "advantages" include feature-free UIs (for the same level
    >of effort) and buffer and pointer problems.
    >
    > -- Mark
    >
    >
    >

    Holy ****. Must have been some shitty C++ developers who were doing VB.

  9. #129
    blob Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    "Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote:
    >
    >Hi Kent,
    >
    >Again, that argument goes both ways. There used to be real advangages to
    >using C++ over VB. Those advantages are now gone because of the .NET platform.
    >.NET levels the playing field. There is little or nothing you can do in

    C#
    >that you can't do with VB.NET. Unlike C++ and VB6, there's really no measurable
    >advantage to using C# over VB.NET. It all comes down to which syntax you
    >prefer. If you prefer curly brackets and case-sensitivity, then use C#.

    If
    >you prefer English-like keywords and case-insensitivity, then use VB.NET.
    >
    >/Pat
    >--------------------------
    >It's the platform, stupid.
    >--------------------------
    >
    >"Kent" <kp@kp.org> wrote:
    >>
    >>Then it is my opinion against yours then? How is your opinion any more

    >valid
    >>than mine.
    >>
    >>As far as that goes, I doubt too many shops would choose VB.Net over say
    >>C# based on the reasons you provided. There used to be real advangages

    >to
    >>using VB over C++. Those advantages are now gone because of the .NEt platform.
    >>
    >>It's the platform supid!

    >



    You are forgetting a few things. C# will surpass VB.NET with the changes
    coming. So, do VB.NET or C#? I think the answer is clear.

  10. #130
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    Actually, both languages continue to be enhanced. I can personally guarantee
    that the next version of VB.NET will add bit shifting and loop variable declaration
    because I've been using the beta since last summer. Don't be too surprised
    to see operator overloading, XML documentation and generics in future releases
    as well.

    /Pat
    ---------------------------
    It's the platform, stupid.
    ---------------------------

    "blob" <blob@blobblobblob.com> wrote:
    >
    >You are forgetting a few things. C# will surpass VB.NET with the changes
    >coming. So, do VB.NET or C#? I think the answer is clear.



  11. #131
    Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >Sandhya
    >
    >Dont' listen to Kent, he's a Java fanatic only here to troll this newsgroup.
    >
    >
    >VB.Net has several advantages over C# such as better Intelisense, no case
    >sensitivity, many little convenient features missing from C#, such as With
    >blocks, Select Case blocks, code completion, etc. plus high (but not perfect)
    >code compatibility with VB6.
    >
    >Java is more portable than .Net right now, but likely not for long. If you
    >are writing server apps, Java is a good choice but if your writing desktop
    >apps, .Net is far better.


    Doesn't C# have a comparable switch case like C++? Also I don't think not
    having case sensitivity is an advantage.
    James Skinner


  12. #132
    David A. Rothgery Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    vb.@127.0.0.1 <vb.@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    > "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > >
    > >Sandhya
    > >
    > >Dont' listen to Kent, he's a Java fanatic only here to troll this newsgroup.
    > >
    > >
    > >VB.Net has several advantages over C# such as better Intelisense, no case
    > >sensitivity, many little convenient features missing from C#, such as With
    > >blocks, Select Case blocks, code completion, etc. plus high (but not perfect)
    > >code compatibility with VB6.
    > >
    > >Java is more portable than .Net right now, but likely not for long. If you
    > >are writing server apps, Java is a good choice but if your writing desktop
    > >apps, .Net is far better.

    >
    > Doesn't C# have a comparable switch case like C++?


    C#'s is better than C's (C# can switch on strings; C can't), but it
    still has the annoying 'break' requirement (at least it's enforced by
    the compiler in C#), VB's syntax for grouping multiple cases together is
    much cleaner (Case x, y, z instead of case x: case y: case z) and VB has
    Case X To Y for ranges, where there's nothing comprable in C# (or C++ or
    Java).

    > Also I don't think not having case sensitivity is an advantage.


    I've never seen a good case for case sensitivity in a programming
    language.

    --
    Dave Rothgery
    Picking nits since 1976
    drothgery@alum.wpi.edu
    http://drothgery.editthispage.com

  13. #133
    blob Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    David A. Rothgery <drothgery@alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
    >vb.@127.0.0.1 <vb.@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Sandhya
    >> >
    >> >Dont' listen to Kent, he's a Java fanatic only here to troll this newsgroup.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >VB.Net has several advantages over C# such as better Intelisense, no

    case
    >> >sensitivity, many little convenient features missing from C#, such as

    With
    >> >blocks, Select Case blocks, code completion, etc. plus high (but not

    perfect)
    >> >code compatibility with VB6.
    >> >
    >> >Java is more portable than .Net right now, but likely not for long. If

    you
    >> >are writing server apps, Java is a good choice but if your writing desktop
    >> >apps, .Net is far better.

    >>
    >> Doesn't C# have a comparable switch case like C++?

    >
    >C#'s is better than C's (C# can switch on strings; C can't), but it
    >still has the annoying 'break' requirement (at least it's enforced by
    >the compiler in C#), VB's syntax for grouping multiple cases together is


    >much cleaner (Case x, y, z instead of case x: case y: case z) and VB has


    >Case X To Y for ranges, where there's nothing comprable in C# (or C++ or


    >Java).
    >
    >> Also I don't think not having case sensitivity is an advantage.

    >
    >I've never seen a good case for case sensitivity in a programming
    >language.
    >
    >--
    >Dave Rothgery
    >Picking nits since 1976
    >drothgery@alum.wpi.edu
    >http://drothgery.editthispage.com



    Here we go again. You are giving advice with that crappy resume? Jesus
    man get a real job. Do something worthwhile before you tout your wares as
    a software engineer. Nothing on your resume shows any "engineering" skills.
    Pick this!

  14. #134
    Bob Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?

    In article <3e4e1dfe$1@tnews.web.devx.com>, vb.@127.0.0.1 says...
    >
    > "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > >
    > >Sandhya
    > >
    > >Dont' listen to Kent, he's a Java fanatic only here to troll this newsgroup.
    > >
    > >
    > >VB.Net has several advantages over C# such as better Intelisense, no case
    > >sensitivity, many little convenient features missing from C#, such as With
    > >blocks, Select Case blocks, code completion, etc. plus high (but not perfect)
    > >code compatibility with VB6.
    > >
    > >Java is more portable than .Net right now, but likely not for long. If you
    > >are writing server apps, Java is a good choice but if your writing desktop
    > >apps, .Net is far better.

    >
    > Doesn't C# have a comparable switch case like C++? Also I don't think not
    > having case sensitivity is an advantage.
    > James Skinner
    >
    >

    Jim,

    The VB Select Case is much more powerful than the C# or C++ switch
    statements.

    I suspect the case sensitivity issue is a religious issue. In my case, I hate
    having to use the shift key, so I really like being able to declare the
    variable in the proper case and then simply type all variables in lower case
    and have the IDE proper case it for me.

    Bob

  15. #135
    Kent Guest

    Re: What are the Advantages of VB.NET?


    pfffft whoopitie doo. the syntax is irrelivant. They generate pretty much
    the same code and it all runs at pretty much the same speed. The multi language
    support of the .Net platform is a total joke!


    Bob <tooslow42junk@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >In article <3e4e1dfe$1@tnews.web.devx.com>, vb.@127.0.0.1 says...
    >>
    >> "Bob" <vb@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Sandhya
    >> >
    >> >Dont' listen to Kent, he's a Java fanatic only here to troll this newsgroup.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >VB.Net has several advantages over C# such as better Intelisense, no

    case
    >> >sensitivity, many little convenient features missing from C#, such as

    With
    >> >blocks, Select Case blocks, code completion, etc. plus high (but not

    perfect)
    >> >code compatibility with VB6.
    >> >
    >> >Java is more portable than .Net right now, but likely not for long. If

    you
    >> >are writing server apps, Java is a good choice but if your writing desktop
    >> >apps, .Net is far better.

    >>
    >> Doesn't C# have a comparable switch case like C++? Also I don't think

    not
    >> having case sensitivity is an advantage.
    >> James Skinner
    >>
    >>

    >Jim,
    >
    >The VB Select Case is much more powerful than the C# or C++ switch
    >statements.
    >
    >I suspect the case sensitivity issue is a religious issue. In my case, I

    hate
    >having to use the shift key, so I really like being able to declare the


    >variable in the proper case and then simply type all variables in lower

    case
    >and have the IDE proper case it for me.
    >
    >Bob


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center