DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

  1. #31
    Joe \Nuke Me Xemu\ Foster Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    "Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message <news:3c265851@147.208.176.211>...

    > >It's too bad, really, that VB.NOT takes away one of the most useful ways
    > >to use classes, the "resource acquisition is initialization" idiom:

    >
    > Wow, that's quite a stretch. I have probably 20 or 30 books on VB and that's
    > the first time I heard that one. Most people would say that biggest advantages
    > of classes are code reuse, encapsolation, polymorphism, etc. but you think
    > it's "resource acquisition is initialization". Hehe. I see the links you
    > provide as "evidence" are C++ articles. Still grasping for straws, eh Joe?
    >


    I'd gotten good encapsulation and code re-use even before classes, using
    plain old modules. AFAICT, the two biggest advantages of classes in VB
    Classic are polymorphism and resource management. As even you should be
    able to see, assuming you pull your head out one of these days, I said
    that the "resource acquisition is initialization" idiom is *one* of the
    most useful ways to use classes, not *the* most useful. Anyway, not all
    of the cites were C++ articles -- you "must have missed" Phil Weber's own
    CHourglass class! Now FOAD.NET, moron.

    --
    Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com> "Regged" again? <http://www.xenu.net/>
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
    because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!



  2. #32
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character


    "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
    >links which define the term, idiot.
    >you illiterate cretin,
    >imbecile


    With sound arguments like that, who needs logic and facts! Boy, you really
    showed me that time!

    /Pat

  3. #33
    Joe \Nuke Me Xemu\ Foster Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    "Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message <news:3c266e6f@147.208.176.211>...

    > "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
    > >"Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message <news:3c265851@147.208.176.211>...
    > >
    > >
    > >I'd gotten good encapsulation and code re-use even before classes, using
    > >plain old modules.

    >
    > I agree with you on that.


    Yet you claim that encapsulation and code reuse are among the biggest
    advantages of *classes*, even when you later agree that neither one
    requires in absolutely any way whatsoever the use of classes.

    > > As even you should be
    > >able to see, assuming you pull your head out one of these days, I said
    > >that the "resource acquisition is initialization" idiom is *one* of the
    > >most useful ways to use classes, not *the* most useful.

    >
    > You need some work on your reading comprehension skills. Go back and re-read
    > my post. If there's something you don't understand, *ask*. That would be
    > a much better idea than putting your foot in your mouth by accusing me of
    > saying something I didn't say.


    You are claiming that since that particular *term* may come from the C++
    crowd, the *concept* is unknown in VB. That's why I included the C++
    links which define the term, idiot. Perhaps you'll also argue that a
    mugging isn't a mugging if the mugger doesn't specifically state, "this
    is a mugging", eh?

    > >Anyway, not all
    > >of the cites were C++ articles -- you "must have missed" Phil Weber's own
    > >CHourglass class!

    >
    > Again, your reading comprehension skills have failed you. Where in Phil's
    > article does he say that "resource acquisition is initialization" is one
    > of the most useful ways to use classes?
    >
    > In fact, please tell everyone the *exact* line number where he says that
    > "resource acquisition is initialization" is one of the most useful ways to
    > use classes. We would love to see where he says that. Don't worry - take
    > all the time you need to find the quote. We'll wait....


    Actually, you illiterate cretin, *I* said it is one of the most useful
    ways to use classes. Here's the quote, imbecile, which appears *after*
    I make :

    "It's too bad, really, that VB.NOT takes away one of the most useful ways
    to use classes, the 'resource acquisition is initialization' idiom:"
    -- news://news.devx.com/3c251647@147.208.176.211

    Now please provide the cite in which I claimed that Phil Weber said that
    "'resource acquisition is initialization' is one of the most useful ways
    to use classes". I would love to see where I say that. Don't worry --
    take all the time you need to find the quote. We'll wait....

    > >Now FOAD.NET, moron.

    >
    > Ah, the personal insult. You sure showed me. Boy, if that doesn't prove to
    > everyone you're right, I don't know what will!


    Then again, you could simply learn to read...

    --
    Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com> L. Ron Dullard <http://www.xenu.net/>
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
    because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!



  4. #34
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    > Phil Weber's own CHourglass class!

    To be fair, I should acknowledge that the CHourglass example was first
    posted in these groups by Karl Peterson. I merely "borrowed" it for my
    article.
    ---
    Phil Weber



  5. #35
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character


    Hi Joe,

    Sorry, I was in a hurry last night and just jotted down a quick response.
    Your post deserves some special attention....

    "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
    >
    >Yet you claim that encapsulation and code reuse are among the biggest
    >advantages of *classes*,


    Actually, I didn't say that. Again, your reading comprehension skills are
    failing you. Here's what I said....

    <QUOTE>
    Most people would say that biggest advantages of classes are code reuse,
    encapsulation, polymorphism, etc. but you think it's "resource acquisition
    is initialization".
    </QUOTE>

    Do you understand what the *subject of a sentence* is? I believe they teach
    this in 4th or 5th grade. Perhaps you can ask a 10-year-old to explain it
    to you.

    > even when you later agree that neither one
    >requires in absolutely any way whatsoever the use of classes.


    Correct. This seems to be the only point of my posts you do understand -
    yet for some reason, you still seem confused by it.

    >You are claiming that since that particular *term* may come from the C++
    >crowd, the *concept* is unknown in VB.


    Again, your reading comprehension skills have failed you. Here's what I really
    said....

    <QUOTE>
    Wow, that's quite a stretch. I have probably 20 or 30 books on VB and that's
    the first time I heard that one. Most people would say that biggest advantages
    of classes are code reuse, encapsulation, polymorphism, etc. but you think
    it's "resource acquisition is initialization".
    </QUOTE>

    > That's why I included the C++
    >links which define the term, idiot.


    Exactly! That proves my point that you were stretching - you couldn't find
    a VB article to back up your statements so you had to resort to obscure C++
    articles. QED.

    >> >Anyway, not all
    >> >of the cites were C++ articles -- you "must have missed" Phil Weber's

    own
    >> >CHourglass class!

    >>
    >> Again, your reading comprehension skills have failed you. Where in Phil's
    >> article does he say that "resource acquisition is initialization" is one
    >> of the most useful ways to use classes?
    >>
    >> In fact, please tell everyone the *exact* line number where he says that
    >> "resource acquisition is initialization" is one of the most useful ways

    to
    >> use classes. We would love to see where he says that. Don't worry - take
    >> all the time you need to find the quote. We'll wait....

    >
    >Actually, you illiterate cretin, *I* said it is one of the most useful
    >ways to use classes. Here's the quote, imbecile, which appears *after*
    >I make :
    >
    >"It's too bad, really, that VB.NOT takes away one of the most useful ways
    >to use classes, the 'resource acquisition is initialization' idiom:"
    >-- news://news.devx.com/3c251647@147.208.176.211
    >
    >Now please provide the cite in which I claimed that Phil Weber said that
    >"'resource acquisition is initialization' is one of the most useful ways
    >to use classes". I would love to see where I say that. Don't worry --
    >take all the time you need to find the quote. We'll wait....


    Ah, this is even better! First, you post a link to Phil's article as 'evidence'
    to support your bizarre 'one of the most useful ways to use classes is "resource
    acquisition is initialization" idiom' claim. Now you realize he doesn't say
    that at all...which is what I told you from the beginning!

    Good. So we now both agree that Phil's article does not back up your erroneous
    'one of the most useful ways to use classes is "resource acquisition is initialization"
    idiom' claim. I'm glad we finally agree on this point.

    >links which define the term, idiot.
    >you illiterate cretin,
    >imbecile


    With sound arguments like that, who needs logic and facts! Boy, you really
    everyone your intelligence level that time!

    BTW, if I were you, I would quit while I'm behind. But if you want to respond,
    go ahead. All I ask is that you actually *read* my posts. This is about the
    third or fourth time you've put your foot in your mouth. You think you would
    learn by now....

    /Pat

  6. #36
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character


    "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
    >"Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message <news:3c266e6f@147.208.176.211>...
    >
    >Now please provide the cite in which I claimed that Phil Weber said that
    >"'resource acquisition is initialization' is one of the most useful ways
    >to use classes".


    Sure, no problem....

    <Joe DiggingHoleDeeper="True">
    I said that the "resource acquisition is initialization" idiom is *one* of
    the most useful ways to use classes, not *the* most useful. Anyway, not
    all of the cites were C++ articles -- you "must have missed" Phil Weber's
    own CHourglass class!
    </Joe>

    /Pat <BG>

  7. #37
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    > BTW, if I were you, I would quit while I'm behind. But
    > if you want to respond, go ahead.


    Actually, if you wish to continue this argument, please do so in
    vb.dotnet.discussion. We try to keep the signal-to-noise ratio high in the
    technical groups. Thank you!
    ---
    Phil Weber

    [Followup-To: vb.dotnet.discussion]



  8. #38
    Joe \Nuke Me Xemu\ Foster Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    "Phil Weber" <pweberonline@fawcette.com> wrote in message <news:3c27067f@147.208.176.211>...

    > > Phil Weber's own CHourglass class!

    >
    > To be fair, I should acknowledge that the CHourglass example was first
    > posted in these groups by Karl Peterson. I merely "borrowed" it for my
    > article.


    http://devx.com/gethelp/newinquiry.asp?ItemID=15

    --
    Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com> Wanna buy a Bridge? <http://xenu.net/>
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
    because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!



  9. #39
    Joe \Nuke Me Xemu\ Foster Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    "Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message <news:3c277a29$1@147.208.176.211>...

    > "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote:
    > >"Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote in message <news:3c266e6f@147.208.176.211>...
    > >
    > >Now please provide the cite in which I claimed that Phil Weber said that
    > >"'resource acquisition is initialization' is one of the most useful ways
    > >to use classes".

    >
    > Sure, no problem....
    >
    > <Joe DiggingHoleDeeper="True">
    > I said that the "resource acquisition is initialization" idiom is *one* of
    > the most useful ways to use classes, not *the* most useful. Anyway, not
    > all of the cites were C++ articles -- you "must have missed" Phil Weber's
    > own CHourglass class!
    > </Joe>


    Obviously, CHourglass is a nice, concise example of the RAII technique.
    You /are/ able to read and comprehend straightforward VB code, aren't you?
    Oh well, please continue to feel free to add one and one to get Sqr(-Pi).

    --
    Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com> Sign the Check! <http://www.xenu.net/>
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
    because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!



  10. #40
    Karl E. Peterson Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    "Joe "Nuke Me Xemu" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote in message
    news:3c2ad890@147.208.176.211...
    > "Phil Weber" <pweberonline@fawcette.com> wrote in message

    <news:3c27067f@147.208.176.211>...
    >
    > > > Phil Weber's own CHourglass class!

    > >
    > > To be fair, I should acknowledge that the CHourglass example was first
    > > posted in these groups by Karl Peterson. I merely "borrowed" it for my
    > > article.

    >
    > http://devx.com/gethelp/newinquiry.asp?ItemID=15


    To be entirely fair, I recall tossing this about on CompuServe during the VB4 beta.
    That discussion included a number of folks present now -- Phil, Kathleen, LJ, Don,
    Zane, and Jonathan, amongst others.

    Later... Karl
    --
    [Microsoft Basic: 1976-2001, RIP]


  11. #41
    Joe \Nuke Me Xemu\ Foster Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    "Karl E. Peterson" <karl@mvps.org> wrote in message <news:3c448362$2@147.208.176.211>...

    > "Joe "Nuke Me Xemu" Foster" <joe@bftsi0.UUCP> wrote in message
    > news:3c2ad890@147.208.176.211...


    > > "Phil Weber" <pweberonline@fawcette.com> wrote in message

    > <news:3c27067f@147.208.176.211>...
    > >
    > > > > Phil Weber's own CHourglass class!
    > > >
    > > > To be fair, I should acknowledge that the CHourglass example was first
    > > > posted in these groups by Karl Peterson. I merely "borrowed" it for my
    > > > article.

    > >
    > > http://devx.com/gethelp/newinquiry.asp?ItemID=15

    >
    > To be entirely fair, I recall tossing this about on CompuServe during the VB4 beta.


    Here's another version... Geeze, it's all over the place!

    http://www.csdn.net/dev/Visual%20Bas.../e-tips146.htm

    Here's the earliest reference I can find, Tip 42:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....ftn&oe=KOI8-R

    > That discussion included a number of folks present now -- Phil, Kathleen, LJ, Don,
    > Zane, and Jonathan, amongst others.


    And yet, some of them now deny any legitimate use for DF. I wonder why
    that might be... Did they all go to Redmond for an "intensive" or what?
    Perhaps I've just been reading waaay too much Philip K. **** lately? =)

    --
    Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com> Wanna buy a Bridge? <http://xenu.net/>
    WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above They're coming to
    because my cats have apparently learned to type. take me away, ha ha!



  12. #42
    Karl E. Peterson Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    Hi Joe --

    > Here's the earliest reference I can find, Tip 42:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm....ftn&oe=KOI8-R


    WOW! In Russian, no less. I'm impressed. (That's the 5th Edition, August 1997, of
    VBPJ's <cite>101 Tech Tips</cite> for anyone wondering.)

    > > That discussion included a number of folks present now -- Phil, Kathleen, LJ,

    Don,
    > > Zane, and Jonathan, amongst others.

    >
    > And yet, some of them now deny any legitimate use for DF.


    I think, if you pressed them, the buzzword of the day is "better story". HTH!

    Later... Karl
    --
    [Microsoft Basic: 1976-2001, RIP]


  13. #43
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: Converting Hex values to Decimal and Character

    > KEP: That discussion included a number of folks present now --
    > Phil, Kathleen, LJ, Don, Zane, and Jonathan, amongst others.
    >
    > J"NMX"F: And yet, some of them now deny any legitimate use
    > for DF.


    Joe: To whom are you referring by "some of them?" I don't recall having seen
    anyone on Karl's list deny any legitimate use for DF.
    ---
    Phil Weber



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center