Capture an Enter keypress, Fake a Tab keypress


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Capture an Enter keypress, Fake a Tab keypress

  1. #1
    TechnoSpaz Guest

    Capture an Enter keypress, Fake a Tab keypress


    Does anyone know how to implement a simple capture of enter and make the browser
    think they pressed tab.

    I tried:

    If window.event.keycode = 13 Then
    window.event.keycode = 9
    End If

    and had that called from a OnKeyPress. I know it gets there after throwing
    in a MsgBox debug line. But I cannot figure out how to move the dern cursor.
    I have a lot of input boxes created via ASP before the page is loaded and
    I hoping to avoid using a setfocus kinda command.

    Too bad SendKeys isn't available in DHTML.

    Thanx for any help

  2. #2
    Matthew Solnit Guest

    Re: Capture an Enter keypress, Fake a Tab keypress

    "TechnoSpaz" <Atom_Russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:3c34ea38$1@147.208.176.211...
    > I tried:
    > If window.event.keycode = 13 Then
    > window.event.keycode = 9
    > End If
    > and had that called from a OnKeyPress.


    It might work if you try it from onkeydown instead of onkeypress.

    -- Matthew Solnit



  3. #3
    Techno_Spaz Guest

    Re: Capture an Enter keypress, Fake a Tab keypress


    "Matthew Solnit" <msolnit.spamsux.yahoo-com> wrote:
    >"TechnoSpaz" <Atom_Russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >news:3c34ea38$1@147.208.176.211...
    >> I tried:
    >> If window.event.keycode = 13 Then
    >> window.event.keycode = 9
    >> End If
    >> and had that called from a OnKeyPress.

    >
    >It might work if you try it from onkeydown instead of onkeypress.
    >
    >-- Matthew Solnit
    >
    >

    I tried that as well, no luck. Thank you though.

  4. #4
    TheGuy Guest

    Re: Capture an Enter keypress, Fake a Tab keypress


    "TechnoSpaz" <Atom_Russell@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >Does anyone know how to implement a simple capture of enter and make the

    browser
    >think they pressed tab.
    >
    >I tried:
    >
    > If window.event.keycode = 13 Then
    > window.event.keycode = 9
    > End If


    I was able to trap the backspace key with the following JavaScript called
    from the onKeyDown() event:

    if ( event.keyCode == 8 )
    {
    }

  5. #5
    ovid Guest

    Re: Capture an Enter keypress, Fake a Tab keypress


    Here's some code I snagged from a web site the other day. I haven't done
    anything but skim it and was going to figure out what it is doing but haven't
    had the time. Just a guess, could help. If not, sorry.

    function AutoTab( hItem, maxLength, linkItem ){

    var vKeyCode,oItem
    oItem = eval(linkItem);
    vKeyCode = window.event.keyCode
    if(vKeyCode==9 && window.event.shiftKey){ return; }
    switch(window.event.keyCode){
    case 37 : return;
    case 39 : return;
    case 16 : return;
    case 46 : return;
    }
    if (window.event.keyCode != 9 ){
    if( typeof(oItem) == "object" ){
    if( (String(oItem.value).length == 0) && (String(hItem.value).length
    == maxLength) ){
    oItem.focus()
    }
    }
    }
    }





    "TheGuy" <d@d.org> wrote:
    >
    >"TechnoSpaz" <Atom_Russell@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Does anyone know how to implement a simple capture of enter and make the

    >browser
    >>think they pressed tab.
    >>
    >>I tried:
    >>
    >> If window.event.keycode = 13 Then
    >> window.event.keycode = 9
    >> End If

    >
    >I was able to trap the backspace key with the following JavaScript called
    >from the onKeyDown() event:
    >
    >if ( event.keyCode == 8 )
    >{
    >}



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center