VB & SQL Server

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: VB & SQL Server

VB & SQL Server

[Originally posted by Ed Ardzinski]

I just put some memory in my computer, and am testing out my Win 2K Server side...with 96 MB or RAM it was tough to work with. :) Now with 224 MB it's nice.

I had been messing with a SQL Server Database...converted one of our dental offices Sybase DB's into SQL Server and was playing around with a front end I was doing in VB 6, SP 4. I have a Data Environment connecting in to the SQL Server.

When I do some queries on patient histories or office financial data, The program hesitates when I'm closing, and closes the VB Dev Environment also. When I don't do much in the program I can close it normally, keeping the IDE open.

Any ideas what's the issue? Is it a service pack issue, or maybe I've got some tweaks to make in the SQL Server (btw, it's SQL Server 7)?

Thanks...

Re:VB & SQL Server

[Originally posted by Sabir Mustafa]

I think that you did'nt close the recordset after taking results. Try using a server side and readonly recordset type for the queries you want to use for viewing data and then close them with close command.

Re:Re:VB & SQL Server

Thanks for the hint...I'll look into it. Usually I'm pretty good about closing recordsets, but I did this so long ago I can't remember...and I didn't do anything but try and run last time.

Re:Re:VB & SQL Server

Great call! That was the whole problem! I just a lazy turd when I slapped this thing together...