Java IDE


DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Java IDE

  1. #1
    Debbie Guest

    Java IDE


    Hi,

    I am a programmer specialising in VB but I would like to get into the Java
    environment aswell. What is the most used IDE out there?
    I only really know of 2, JBuilder and IBM's visualAge.

    Thanks
    Debbie


  2. #2
    Russell Jones Guest

    Re: Java IDE

    You should check out the free open-source Eclipse IDE as well.

    http://www.eclipse.org

    "Debbie" <deborahroff@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
    news:3f817ccd$1@devx7.web.devx.com...
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a programmer specialising in VB but I would like to get into the Java
    > environment aswell. What is the most used IDE out there?
    > I only really know of 2, JBuilder and IBM's visualAge.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Debbie
    >




  3. #3
    Brooks Guest

    Re: Java IDE


    "Debbie" <deborahroff@webmail.co.za> wrote:
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am a programmer specialising in VB but I would like to get into the Java
    >environment aswell. What is the most used IDE out there?
    >I only really know of 2, JBuilder and IBM's visualAge.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Debbie
    >


    Also checkout netbeans at netbeans.org. Free. I've been using it for several
    months and pleased in general. Very nice for non-enterprise web development.
    Read others saying that if you come from a VB background, you'll probably
    like Netbeans better than Eclipse.
    If you have money, Jbuilder gets excellent reviews.

  4. #4
    Doug Guest

    Re: Java IDE


    "Debbie" <deborahroff@webmail.co.za> wrote:
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I am a programmer specialising in VB but I would like to get into the Java
    >environment aswell. What is the most used IDE out there?
    >I only really know of 2, JBuilder and IBM's visualAge.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Debbie
    >


    After looking at several, my company decided this year on IntelliJ's IDEA.
    It's far and away the easiest most intuitive Java IDE we've worked with.

  5. #5
    Tia Guest

    Re: Java IDE


    "Doug" <java.@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    >
    >"Debbie" <deborahroff@webmail.co.za> wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am a programmer specialising in VB but I would like to get into the Java
    >>environment aswell. What is the most used IDE out there?
    >>I only really know of 2, JBuilder and IBM's visualAge.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Debbie
    >>

    >
    >After looking at several, my company decided this year on IntelliJ's IDEA.
    > It's far and away the easiest most intuitive Java IDE we've worked with.



    Amen, Doug. I have been using IDEA since the early days of 2.x. Current build
    is 3.0.5 and the much anticipated 4.0 will be out soon. Also award winning
    and of the many IDE's I have tried, this is by far the most intuitive one.
    Geared to make coding easier and more enjoyable for users of all levels.
    Not free, but well worth it!


  6. #6
    John P Guest

    Re: Java IDE


    All,

    I have been a prof. s/w engineer for 15 years and have used editors/IDEs
    from vi, emacs, MS Visual Studio, SlickEdit, etc... Although I have always
    considered open source a "hackers" game, it has really matured into main
    stream....I cannot recommend Eclipse more highly (www.eclipse.org).

    It is open, so you can modify it to your liking, you can write custom plug-ins,
    and it is fast as it uses native controls for the platform on which it is
    running. Bravo to this open source project.

    John



    "Brooks" <bxb@cs.state.ny.us> wrote:
    >
    >"Debbie" <deborahroff@webmail.co.za> wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I am a programmer specialising in VB but I would like to get into the Java
    >>environment aswell. What is the most used IDE out there?
    >>I only really know of 2, JBuilder and IBM's visualAge.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Debbie
    >>

    >
    >Also checkout netbeans at netbeans.org. Free. I've been using it for several
    >months and pleased in general. Very nice for non-enterprise web development.
    >Read others saying that if you come from a VB background, you'll probably
    >like Netbeans better than Eclipse.
    >If you have money, Jbuilder gets excellent reviews.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7

    Java IDE

    Frankly,
    Intellij IDEA is by far the best IDE all around, except for one thing:
    It is not open source, thus you cannot write a plug-in for that IDE.
    Otherwise I would advice you to try Eclipse or NetBeans. Both are great.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11

    IDEA Rules

    Debbie,

    I feel Idea has set a new standard for IDEs by which all others will be measured. That includes VS.Net.

    A recent survey on java lobby showed Eclipse is begining to dominate the IDE space. I believe this is only because eclipse is free.

    The Netbeans folks are doing some good things again now too. Development seemed to have died off some, but they recently released a new version with a very modern windowing system that rivals Eclipse. Netbeans is also free.

    Rob Abbe

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3
    >A recent survey on java lobby showed
    >Eclipse is begining to dominate the IDE
    >space. I believe this is only because
    >eclipse is free.

    I've been trying various IDE's on and off, JCreator, IBM Visual Age, JBuilder Personal Edition, IntelliJ IDEA and around 4 months back Eclipse. My vote is for Eclipse hands down. Saying that Eclipse is dominating the market because it's free isn't really fair. ( Even though there are a lot of other free IDE's, given this fact it's still amazing that Eclipse comes out on top still ;-) )

    I feel the real reason is more because of what you can do in eclipse. I don't intend to diss the IDEA folks, but
    it has all the features of IntelliJ and then some more. Take debugging for instance, in eclipse you have what is known as 'hot code replace'. That is while you are debugging an app, you can go change the code, have it compiled and continue execution without having to stop and restart your app. That's a pretty nifty feature I haven't seen implemented in any other Java IDE yet. Quite VB like wouldn't you say ;-).

    Then the sheer amount of plugins are awesome. Just for Java they range from application profilers, decompilers, database integration wizards, xml/xslt editors and what not. Yes they're free too. It just keeps getting better.

    I'm not saying it's without it's drawbacks however. For one Eclipse is moving onto version 3 while most plugins currently available support the 2.1.3 release.

    The second drawback I see is that users will take a bit of a while to get used to the way things work under Eclipse. But once you write a HelloWorld app things fall into place more clearly.

    I personally work with the 2.1.3 release so that I get to work with all those cool plugins :-).

    All said and done, whatever your reqirements. Eclipse really is a one size fits all IDE ;-).

    Cheers !!

    ~gtloafer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center