HELP!! Getting ORA-01019 error when connecting to oracle

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: HELP!! Getting ORA-01019 error when connecting to oracle

HELP!! Getting ORA-01019 error when connecting to oracle

I receive the error ORA-01019 when trying to make a connection to oracle through VB. I can work fine with Oracle outside of VB, so VB must be the problem. I have uninstalled VB and reinstalled, I have installed different drivers and also followed oracle help by deleting the oracle client from my machine and reinstalling making sure I erase everything from the registry and nothing works. has anyone else run into this problem? if so...HELP!!!

This is what the Oracle documentation recommends for this type of error. Hope it helps.

"ORA-01019 unable to allocate memory in the user side

Cause: The user side memory allocator returned an error.

Action: Increase the size of the process heap or switch to the old set of calls."

[Oracle7 Server Messages]

What are you using to connect to Oracle? OCI, ODBC, OLE, Oracle Objects for OLE, ADO, DAO, RDO, etc?

Also, before you conclude that VB is the problem and continue re-isntalling, have you tried to create DB connections otherwise and outside Oracle products which may use OCI, TNS or other mechanisms for connecting?

For example, try to create an ODBC data source from Control Panel connecting to the database. You can use the Oracle ODBC divers from MS or Oracle. Then try connecting from some other tool like MS Access, MS Query, or Excel. This way, you test ODBC itself and the ability to connect using it. I believe in the process of creating a DSN you also test it when you retrieve table descriptions. This is all assuming you are using ODBC.

What version of the Oracle client are you using?
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

We are using Oracle 9i. Everything outside of VB connects to oracle fine, we have tried reallocating memory, upgrading memory you name it. The problem only occurs when trying to connect to oracle through VB. We have uninstalled and reinstalled VB 2 or 3 times. Still nothing works. Any help or ideas would be of great value.

Thanks.

Could you post your connection string code?
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

thanks for everyone's help, we missed a couple of drivers in the oracle install. once we installed them the connection string worked.