i'm a new programmer and i need help

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: i'm a new programmer and i need help

Unhappy i'm a new programmer and i need help

the boss has a large gun that can shot projectilesat various heights. for each shot stunman can either stand still or jump. if he stands still and the shot is height 1 or 2, then he gets hit. if he jumps and the shot is at a height above 2, then he is also hit. Otherwise, he is not hit. Given the height of each shot and a sequence of jumps. how many hits will stunman take.

the input integer() pattern is the pattern of heights at which the shots are being fired. each element of the pattern between 1 and 7, inclusive. The input string jumps is the sequence of jumps that stunman will attemp, 'J' means jump and 'S' means he will stand still.

The methopd should return an integer representing the number of times stunman is hit.

I know the function looks something like this

Public Function hitTaken(pattern as Integer(),jumps as String)as Integer

Please help.

I wouldn't be here if i haven't tried all the other avenues first.
    i've searched the web and books with no luck. i know somewhat what it should look like but can't get it to work.
    Last edited by newbee; 02-06-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Hi, newbee: If we do your homework for you, how will you learn? Why don't you try to solve the problem first, and ask for help if you get stuck?

I'll give you a hint: VB's Rnd function can generate a series of random numbers between 1 and 7. Try looking up the function in VB's online help, or searching the Web for examples of how to use the function.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

I do not think searching the web will help you in this case...

You have an array of interers, right? For each elements, you have a hit if the value is less then 3 and the guy stay still, or if the value is greater than 2 and the guy jumps. Did I get this straight?
    Now, write a nice for loop for each element of the array (look at ubound and lbound) and implements the above statement using a sequence of if's.
    If you already have the input parameters because someone is passing them to you, you are home free. Otherwise follow Phil suggestion and generate them randomly.
    Because the probabililty that the boss shots low is 2 out of 7, I suggest to jump to survive...

Everyone was a newbee,
    Marco

> I know somewhat what it should look like but can't get it to work.

In that case, why don't you post the code you have and explain how it's not working. Perhaps we can help you find the problem without doing the assignment for you.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!