Couple questions for newbie

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Couple questions for newbie

Couple questions for newbie

I'm about to do a JSP based app and I'd like to ask a few questions. I'll probably use a non-dedicated host initially. I've found one that uses Resin.

1. Does Resin handle connection pooling?

2. If not, should I implement my own connection pooling. Will it really make a difference on a low-medium traffic site?

3. I have middle tier experience with other technologies, but not EJB. Is it difficult to learn? I want to know if I should avoid it all together for the time being. If I can get good performance on a site that won't generate alot of traffic early on, I'm good to go.

4. What's the best MySQL JDBC driver? Is Connector/J good?

Thanks.

connection pooling for what? clients or databases?

i dont know, but it will make little or no difference what so ever - servlet containers usually operate the SingleThreadModel by default, so each client has a thread on the server - juggling comes down to the O/S more than resin

i would initially avoid ejb; they only seem really well suited to scalability.. you can gaina better understanding of enterprise apps if you dont use them, for starters

er, i would imagine that any driver written for mysql, by the guys at mysql, would be a fair bet to being the best one
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

I'm talking about pooling client connections. Also, do you you know of any good stress testers, preferably free?

Thanks.

it's been ages since i stress tested an app... hmm, i cant remember what we used, but a google search should come up with something

pooling connections from clients? i wouldnt bother; most connections arent http persistent so you can think of the JVM as a pool.. just spam out connections, and when they die, let the garbage collector get them...

plus, client connections arent exactly cacheable because of the massive variations in destination addresses and security issues... db connections, yeah, no problem.. always same source, same destination... similar useage, but client-server interaction is quite randon and variaed..
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Thanks again.