DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Excel Automation and Detection in VB6

Excel Automation and Detection in VB6

My application uses Excel automation. Therefore, I reference the Excel Object Library. I have 2 questions...

1) How can I detect the presence of Excel on the system where my application is being used -- essentially to warn the user that the portion of the application that automates Excel will not work?

2) Since my application references the Excel Object Library, if the application is installed on a system that does not have Excel installed, will the application even run if Excel is not present?

Thanks
    Brian

Re: Excel Automation and Detection in VB6

Originally posted by bkh_vb1
    My application uses Excel automation. Therefore, I reference the Excel Object Library. I have 2 questions...

1) How can I detect the presence of Excel on the system where my application is being used -- essentially to warn the user that the portion of the application that automates Excel will not work?
    Couple of different ways to do this. Since you're already using automation you could simply trap the error that will occur when you call CreateObject. Not elegant but you're certain to determine whether automation with Excel is available.

You can also use the FindExecutable API function call to locate the path to the Excel executable:

Code:

Declare Function FindExecutable Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "FindExecutableA" (ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal lpResult As String) As Long

Function ExcelPath() As String

Dim sDummyFile As String
    Dim sDir As String
    Dim sFilePath As String * 255

sDummyFile = "e:\My Documents\book1.xls"

If FindExecutable(sDummyFile, sDir, sFilePath) > 32 Then
        ExcelPath = TrimNull(sFilePath)
    End If

End Function

Function TrimNull(item As String) As String

Dim pos As Integer

pos = InStr(item, Chr$(0))

If pos Then
              TrimNull = Left$(item, pos - 1)
        Else: TrimNull = item
        End If

End Function

2) Since my application references the Excel Object Library, if the application is installed on a system that does not have Excel installed, will the application even run if Excel is not present?
    Your application will run but as soon as you attempt to instantiate Excel objects it will fail.

In addition, if the application is to support multiple versions of Excel you will probably want to consider using late binding by not referencing the type library and declaring all Excel variables as Object.
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)