DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: CreateWindowEx Class Names?

CreateWindowEx Class Names?

What are all of CreateWindowEx's Class Names? The only ones I know are BUTTON, SCROLLBAR, and COMBOBOX, but I guess LISTBOX is one, etc. How about for just text that I can place (like a label), and how about for windows? For just a window, would it be FORM?

a window is a CDialog
    try the visual editor (make a dialog based app to learn the basics, later you can do it by typing everything).

Originally posted by jonnin
    a window is a CDialog
    :confused:

a CDialog is a MFC class representing dialogs, which get different meaning from a basic window.

Which other mfc class are you using for your windows or forms or whatever you want to call them? I have found Cdialog to be able to do everything I need, and its certainly nice for a beginner -- just pick a dialog based app to start learning.

Quote Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
    What are all of CreateWindowEx's Class Names? The only ones I know are BUTTON, SCROLLBAR, and COMBOBOX, but I guess LISTBOX is one, etc. How about for just text that I can place (like a label), and how about for windows? For just a window, would it be FORM?
    The so-called "built-in" window classes are listed on the MSDN Platform SDK documentation page about Window Classes. They include BUTTON, COMBOBOX, EDIT, LISTBOX, MDICLIENT, RichEdit (for v1.0), RICHEDIT_CLASS (for v2.0), SCROLLBAR, and STATIC (this is what you'd use for simple text, such as a label). The CreateWindow page also has some information in the Remarks section.

When creating an MFC CWnd, there used to be some "pre-registered" MFC window classes, but they're no longer supported, however the info on registering a custom class in MFC is still useful, and is found at Technical Note 1 (TN001). Info on how to replicate the functionality of the older pre-reged classes can be found at INFO: MFC 4.0 Window Classes. If you just want to create a CWnd and you have no special requirements that would require a custom WNDPROC, the technique described therein should should be satisfactory.

If you're not using MFC and need to create a generic window, you'll need to register a window class and provide a WNDPROC (windows procedure) to handle certain windows messages. The simplest method for doing this is documented at Using Window Classes.
    Last edited by brittmorris; 11-13-2006 at 09:35 PM.