DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Massive Emails to TV Shows

  1. #1
    Cmutt1974 Guest

    Massive Emails to TV Shows


    I'm not in the IT field, but maybe one day I will be its always been a secret
    passion of mine.

    I think people need to bring this H1B visa thing, and the worker shortage
    thing to the attention of the mass media. What I've found that works is having
    an advocate in the mass media. I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews, but
    they are persistent when they think they have an issue that will get them
    viewers. White viewers love to hear O'Riley go off on how corrupt Jesse Jackson,
    the Clintons, Enron etc., If 100 people emailed O'Riley everyday with an
    H1B horror story it will take a few weeks, but they will investigate the
    issue, and O'Riley will sit the politicians who support this program down
    and ask them directly how could they support a program that displaces American
    workers. If has numbers that say well 1000 H1B visas were awarded to companies
    in your district, but you have 3000 unemployed IT workers. O'Riley is very
    good at this sort of thing, because he thinks he speaks for the working man
    in America, so I think you should give him something to speak about. Instead
    of worrying about what deal Pepsi has with a popular Rapper, he should worry
    about the deal some of these high tech firms have with India. I mean no disrespect
    to any Asians, but America is moving closer and closer to being a police
    state.

    I think this issue may be somewhat more important, because it may the start
    of something very new in our country. Jobs that require higher education
    are being slashed, given away, or sent to other countries. If the price of
    a college education is not dropping, nor should the salaries of IT workers.
    Things are going to get very dangerous if avenues for gainful employment
    are being undercut, by the gov't.

    An outsiders view of whats going on in the IT field is that too many individuals
    and companies are busy trying to be the next Microsoft, or trying to sound
    the alarm about how bad Microsoft really is. The best way to kill a giant
    is to make him complacent, not to antognize him.

  2. #2
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: Massive Emails to TV Shows

    > I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews, but they are persistent
    > when they think they have an issue that will get them viewers.


    Yes, and xenophobia is always a huge draw.
    --
    Phil Weber



  3. #3
    mark Guest

    Re: Massive Emails to TV Shows


    The H-1B Visa is a GUEST worker visa. When a host gives a party, it is not
    rude for the host to ask the guests to depart by a certain hour. In
    fact, it is considered rude for those guests to linger to an unreasonable
    hour.

    Our GUESTs were given a timeframe to come to the US and work. The party
    is over, tens of thousands of highly skilled American IT professionals
    are out of work. The current yearly cap of 195,000 GUESTs per year is set
    to revert back to 65,000 GUESTs per year come 2004. It is hardly
    xenophobic for American IT workers to ask that the expiration date and reduced
    cap stand as legislated by our Congress in 2000.


    "Phil Weber" <pweber@nospam.fawcette.com> wrote:
    > > I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews, but they are persistent
    > > when they think they have an issue that will get them viewers.

    >
    >Yes, and xenophobia is always a huge draw.
    >--
    >Phil Weber
    >
    >



  4. #4
    mark Guest

    Re: Massive Emails to TV Shows


    Media shows are after ratings. I doubt this will be effective. You want
    to be effective? Write your state and local representatives and inform them
    of what is going on with H-1B legislation and the ITAA's lobbying efforts.
    Ask them to contact your state's US Congressional delegation because:

    1. They will get more attention than you will with you US Rep.
    2. They are concerned about the local economy
    3. You have the implicit defacto support of all their constituents if you
    can get them interested and concerned enough about the issue.

    I have been have mucho success with this approach.

    Also, write your local chamber of commerce and let them know about the program
    and it's impact to the economy. Point out that much of the money earned
    by H-1Bs goes home overseas and out of the local economy. Get 'em fired
    up and ask them to write your state's US Congressional delegation and your
    state representatives for the community.

    This is how you will get your US Representative's and Senator's collective
    attention on this issue.

    Good Luck, keep up the fight.

    Mark


    "Cmutt1974" <cmutt1974@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >I'm not in the IT field, but maybe one day I will be its always been a secret
    >passion of mine.
    >
    >I think people need to bring this H1B visa thing, and the worker shortage
    >thing to the attention of the mass media. What I've found that works is

    having
    >an advocate in the mass media. I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews, but
    >they are persistent when they think they have an issue that will get them
    >viewers. White viewers love to hear O'Riley go off on how corrupt Jesse

    Jackson,
    >the Clintons, Enron etc., If 100 people emailed O'Riley everyday with an
    >H1B horror story it will take a few weeks, but they will investigate the
    >issue, and O'Riley will sit the politicians who support this program down
    >and ask them directly how could they support a program that displaces American
    >workers. If has numbers that say well 1000 H1B visas were awarded to companies
    >in your district, but you have 3000 unemployed IT workers. O'Riley is very
    >good at this sort of thing, because he thinks he speaks for the working

    man
    >in America, so I think you should give him something to speak about. Instead
    >of worrying about what deal Pepsi has with a popular Rapper, he should worry
    >about the deal some of these high tech firms have with India. I mean no

    disrespect
    >to any Asians, but America is moving closer and closer to being a police
    >state.
    >
    >I think this issue may be somewhat more important, because it may the start
    >of something very new in our country. Jobs that require higher education
    >are being slashed, given away, or sent to other countries. If the price

    of
    >a college education is not dropping, nor should the salaries of IT workers.
    >Things are going to get very dangerous if avenues for gainful employment
    >are being undercut, by the gov't.
    >
    >An outsiders view of whats going on in the IT field is that too many individuals
    >and companies are busy trying to be the next Microsoft, or trying to sound
    >the alarm about how bad Microsoft really is. The best way to kill a giant
    >is to make him complacent, not to antognize him.



  5. #5
    simon Guest

    Re: Massive Emails to TV Shows


    Most people have overlooked the fact that many of these H1B workers (or "guest"
    workers as you stated) will apply and receive the so-called Green Cards before
    their visas expire (or before the end of the "party"). By then, they are
    not "guests" anymore.

    simon.



    "mark" <drdiminished@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >The H-1B Visa is a GUEST worker visa. When a host gives a party, it is

    not
    >rude for the host to ask the guests to depart by a certain hour. In
    >fact, it is considered rude for those guests to linger to an unreasonable
    >hour.
    >
    >Our GUESTs were given a timeframe to come to the US and work. The party
    >is over, tens of thousands of highly skilled American IT professionals
    >are out of work. The current yearly cap of 195,000 GUESTs per year is set
    >to revert back to 65,000 GUESTs per year come 2004. It is hardly
    >xenophobic for American IT workers to ask that the expiration date and reduced
    >cap stand as legislated by our Congress in 2000.
    >
    >
    >"Phil Weber" <pweber@nospam.fawcette.com> wrote:
    >> > I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews, but they are persistent
    >> > when they think they have an issue that will get them viewers.

    >>
    >>Yes, and xenophobia is always a huge draw.
    >>--
    >>Phil Weber
    >>
    >>

    >



  6. #6
    mark Guest

    Re: Massive Emails to TV Shows


    Simon, ya know what? I don't care 'bout those folks getting their green card.
    I wish they would. I just want the **** cap returned to 65K in 2004 like
    it is supposed to, that's all I want... And this chair... The Cap returned
    to 65K, this chair... and that ashtray... and I want lobbying groups like
    the ITAA to stop lying about the outlook for hiring next year. It ain't
    rosie. It's crap. You know, I know it, we all know it. Maybe if we all
    moved to Bangalore we could all get work.


    "simon" <substring0NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >Most people have overlooked the fact that many of these H1B workers (or

    "guest"
    >workers as you stated) will apply and receive the so-called Green Cards

    before
    >their visas expire (or before the end of the "party"). By then, they are
    >not "guests" anymore.
    >
    >simon.
    >
    >
    >
    >"mark" <drdiminished@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>The H-1B Visa is a GUEST worker visa. When a host gives a party, it is

    >not
    >>rude for the host to ask the guests to depart by a certain hour. In
    >>fact, it is considered rude for those guests to linger to an unreasonable
    >>hour.
    >>
    >>Our GUESTs were given a timeframe to come to the US and work. The party
    >>is over, tens of thousands of highly skilled American IT professionals


    >>are out of work. The current yearly cap of 195,000 GUESTs per year is

    set
    >>to revert back to 65,000 GUESTs per year come 2004. It is hardly
    >>xenophobic for American IT workers to ask that the expiration date and

    reduced
    >>cap stand as legislated by our Congress in 2000.
    >>
    >>
    >>"Phil Weber" <pweber@nospam.fawcette.com> wrote:
    >>> > I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews, but they are persistent
    >>> > when they think they have an issue that will get them viewers.
    >>>
    >>>Yes, and xenophobia is always a huge draw.
    >>>--
    >>>Phil Weber
    >>>
    >>>

    >>

    >



  7. #7
    simon Guest

    Re: Massive Emails to TV Shows


    Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with people migrating to this country.
    That's what United States is all about. May God bless them.

    But I have problem when the general public are **misled** that they are just
    "temporary helpers".

    simon.


    "mark" <drdiminished@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >Simon, ya know what? I don't care 'bout those folks getting their green

    card.
    > I wish they would. I just want the **** cap returned to 65K in 2004 like
    >it is supposed to, that's all I want... And this chair... The Cap returned
    >to 65K, this chair... and that ashtray... and I want lobbying groups like
    >the ITAA to stop lying about the outlook for hiring next year. It ain't
    >rosie. It's crap. You know, I know it, we all know it. Maybe if we all
    >moved to Bangalore we could all get work.
    >
    >
    >"simon" <substring0NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Most people have overlooked the fact that many of these H1B workers (or

    >"guest"
    >>workers as you stated) will apply and receive the so-called Green Cards

    >before
    >>their visas expire (or before the end of the "party"). By then, they are
    >>not "guests" anymore.
    >>
    >>simon.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>"mark" <drdiminished@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>The H-1B Visa is a GUEST worker visa. When a host gives a party, it is

    >>not
    >>>rude for the host to ask the guests to depart by a certain hour. In
    >>>fact, it is considered rude for those guests to linger to an unreasonable
    >>>hour.
    >>>
    >>>Our GUESTs were given a timeframe to come to the US and work. The party
    >>>is over, tens of thousands of highly skilled American IT professionals

    >
    >>>are out of work. The current yearly cap of 195,000 GUESTs per year is

    >set
    >>>to revert back to 65,000 GUESTs per year come 2004. It is hardly
    >>>xenophobic for American IT workers to ask that the expiration date and

    >reduced
    >>>cap stand as legislated by our Congress in 2000.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>"Phil Weber" <pweber@nospam.fawcette.com> wrote:
    >>>> > I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews, but they are persistent
    >>>> > when they think they have an issue that will get them viewers.
    >>>>
    >>>>Yes, and xenophobia is always a huge draw.
    >>>>--
    >>>>Phil Weber
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>

    >>

    >



  8. #8
    Cmutt Guest

    Re: Massive Emails to TV Shows



    Mark I think we disagree. Your method will yield results, but without a campaign
    donation or a serious block of voters. I don't see how its going to affect
    a change. If your approach was to contact Association of Automobile dealers,
    or the Mortage/Student/auto loan lenders, and say that H1B visas are going
    to cause a drop in your auto sales, and a rise in loan defaults, because
    the people who took out those loans can't pay them back.

    To defend my point about the TV News Shows. Its simple Pols go onto to these
    shows for publicity, which is the same reason they have town hall meetings.
    All Pols hate negative publicity (except Clinton). The H1B visa issue is
    a big negative, it smells like a conspiracy. The only issue the huge Tech
    companies all agree on is H1B visas. Sun and Microsoft agree on almost nothing,
    but they both agree on this issue. The media flushes out conspiracies, and
    corruption, not politicians. More than anything the people who really make
    out on this issue are the lawyers, and lawyers are very good a protecting
    themselves first, and their profession second. Too many politicians are former
    lawyers. Remember HI Tech workers are a minority, and the only equalizer
    any minority has in this country is the mass media. Don't discredit this
    tool out of hand. A few good reporters can accomplish a lot more than a few
    angry unemployed Americans.

    Let me tell you a few more things when you are minority the first thing the
    majority will think is that there is something wrong with you. Here are a
    few mis-statements for you "American workers are lazy", "American workers
    don't have the required skills", "The foreign workers are better educated".
    Statements like these only help to re-enforce negative stereo types about
    the American work ethic. Its true that Americans won't do certain jobs, but
    people have invested years in becoming HI Tech professionals. No one I know
    of invested years in becoming a factory worker, which is why there wasn't
    a huge stink about factory jobs being moved to Mexico, yes some protested,
    some communities were hurt, but I think there was always a feeling that people
    could be trained to do other things, go back to school get a degree in Computer
    Science, or even a Certification. The problem is that it looks like the HI
    Tech industry is about to go the way of the Manufacturing industry, and this
    is very disturbing because people go into debt hoping to have a career in
    this field. As of right now I don't think anyone should be persuing a career
    in the Hi Tech field unless they are prepared to pay off loans making 10
    dollars an hour.

    I'm ranting now sorry about that, but keep all your options open, and how
    long does it take to write an email. I send them off every other day now,
    because I believe in your cause, and who knows maybe my industry will be
    next.
    "mark" <drdiminished@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >Media shows are after ratings. I doubt this will be effective. You want
    >to be effective? Write your state and local representatives and inform

    them
    >of what is going on with H-1B legislation and the ITAA's lobbying efforts.
    > Ask them to contact your state's US Congressional delegation because:
    >
    >1. They will get more attention than you will with you US Rep.
    >2. They are concerned about the local economy
    >3. You have the implicit defacto support of all their constituents if you
    >can get them interested and concerned enough about the issue.
    >
    >I have been have mucho success with this approach.
    >
    >Also, write your local chamber of commerce and let them know about the program
    >and it's impact to the economy. Point out that much of the money earned
    >by H-1Bs goes home overseas and out of the local economy. Get 'em fired
    >up and ask them to write your state's US Congressional delegation and your
    >state representatives for the community.
    >
    >This is how you will get your US Representative's and Senator's collective
    >attention on this issue.
    >
    >Good Luck, keep up the fight.
    >
    >Mark
    >
    >
    >"Cmutt1974" <cmutt1974@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm not in the IT field, but maybe one day I will be its always been a

    secret
    >>passion of mine.
    >>
    >>I think people need to bring this H1B visa thing, and the worker shortage
    >>thing to the attention of the mass media. What I've found that works is

    >having
    >>an advocate in the mass media. I hate Bill O'Riley and Chris Matthews,

    but
    >>they are persistent when they think they have an issue that will get them
    >>viewers. White viewers love to hear O'Riley go off on how corrupt Jesse

    >Jackson,
    >>the Clintons, Enron etc., If 100 people emailed O'Riley everyday with an
    >>H1B horror story it will take a few weeks, but they will investigate the
    >>issue, and O'Riley will sit the politicians who support this program down
    >>and ask them directly how could they support a program that displaces American
    >>workers. If has numbers that say well 1000 H1B visas were awarded to companies
    >>in your district, but you have 3000 unemployed IT workers. O'Riley is very
    >>good at this sort of thing, because he thinks he speaks for the working

    >man
    >>in America, so I think you should give him something to speak about. Instead
    >>of worrying about what deal Pepsi has with a popular Rapper, he should

    worry
    >>about the deal some of these high tech firms have with India. I mean no

    >disrespect
    >>to any Asians, but America is moving closer and closer to being a police
    >>state.
    >>
    >>I think this issue may be somewhat more important, because it may the start
    >>of something very new in our country. Jobs that require higher education
    >>are being slashed, given away, or sent to other countries. If the price

    >of
    >>a college education is not dropping, nor should the salaries of IT workers.
    >>Things are going to get very dangerous if avenues for gainful employment
    >>are being undercut, by the gov't.
    >>
    >>An outsiders view of whats going on in the IT field is that too many individuals
    >>and companies are busy trying to be the next Microsoft, or trying to sound
    >>the alarm about how bad Microsoft really is. The best way to kill a giant
    >>is to make him complacent, not to antognize him.

    >



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center