DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Writing apps for Windows Mobile 2003?

Writing apps for Windows Mobile 2003?

Hi everyone. I have done some looking around and I need to ask a question. I'm trying to write an app for Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Edition; it appears I cannot do that with VB.NET without some other conversion tool or something.

When I try to run the app, I get the following error message: An unexpected error has occured in TrainingRecord.exe. Select Quit and then restart this program, or select Details for more information.

When I select Details, I get the following:
    TrainingRecord.exe
    TypeLoadException
    Could not load type
    System.Windows.Forms.Form form
    assembly System.Windows.Forms,
    Version = 1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral,
    PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089.

So I did some looking around on MSDN and googled ["VB.NET" & "Windows Mobile 2003"] and I found some things that look to me like I need another software development tool or something? I guess that's what my question is. Can't I do this with VB.NET? On the MSDN web site, they have the "Windows Mobile 5.0 Developer Evaluation Kit" available and it looks like it might be free, but I really can't tell if it's what I even need.

Can anyone provide any guidance on this? I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Shaun
    One, two, FIVE!
    Three, sir.
    THREE!

You can use VS.NET 2003 to develop applications for the .NET Compact Framework: http://msdn.microsoft.com/smartclien...tanding/netcf/
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Thank you very much for this. I looked around for a while but I didn't really understand a lot of what I was seeing. This makes a bit of sense; I'll have to play with it some.

After looking into it a bit further, I have one more question. I have just the regular old VS.NET standard version. I don't see the "Smart Device Application" option listed. Is it that my version is too old or that I only have VB in my VS installation?

Thanks!

Shaun
    Last edited by Hapkidoin; 07-30-2005 at 10:37 AM.
    One, two, FIVE!
    Three, sir.
    THREE!

Thank you very much for the previous help, Phil. Maybe you or someone else can help me with another issue I have run into.

I have a copy of VS.NET 2003 Pro now and I was able to write an app that runs on the Pocket PC. However, now I have another issue that I've run into. From the research that I've done so far, it appears that the .NET Compact Framework will not support OLE DB. I'm having a hard time believing that they've cut off communication with their own product (Access) but I can't find what to use now. My app needs to pull some information out of the time clock every morning in case employees have been added or deleted and that information is in an Access DB. I'm not asking for "the answer" here, but I need to find out what to be researching to get this connection made. I googled it and I've bascially gotten a bunch of stuff that says it isn't there anymore. I tried MSDN and found the following:

OLE DB Wrapper Not supported in .NET Compact Framework.

I don't know enough about this whole thing to know if that means that I'm just totally out of luck or what. Could someone offer me a little guidance here? I just don't know what to search for at this point.

Thanks!

Shaun
    One, two, FIVE!
    Three, sir.
    THREE!

Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

In general, you will most likely want to use SQL Server CE as your database engine. You can also use XML or flat files.

Brad!

Thank you very much for the help guys. I've got a couple things I'm going to try and I'll try to remember to post here what ends up working.

Thanks!

Shaun
    One, two, FIVE!
    Three, sir.
    THREE!