DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop loading windows at start-up until...

Stop loading windows at start-up until...

I am trying to make a program that, during start-up, creates a randomly generated password, encrypts it, and then displayed on the user interface. The user then decrypts it and types it in into the appropriate field, and if correct, Windows continues to load. If not, the program displays another randomly generated password, and keeps going.

The creating the password and all of that is easy enough, but I do not know how to make it so Windows will stop loading until the password is typed in correctly. If someone can give me a link, or post some source code for my problem I would be grateful.

I don't know if it's possible to do that with Visual Basic. See http://www.google.com/search?q=windo....microsoft.com for more information.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Work around?

Well I maybe instead of stopping Windows from loading everything on start-up, the program locks the background so only the password program can have the focus. Is that possible?

No, this is not possible for security reasons: if it were possible, then any hacker could create a program that could lock you out of your system.
    Phil Weber

C++?

Hummm yes I can see how being locked out of your own computer might be a small problem :0.

You said this was probably not possible with Visual Basic, but I know some C++. About how hard would it be to do what I ask, which is just stalling the start-up process, with C++?

Have you read the articles returned by the link I posted? You'll have to create a custom GINA DLL.
    Phil Weber

I've read some of them, and as far as I can tell this will be way too advanced for me. I'll just try to make something else.

Would it be possible for this form not to be the start up form in your
    executable, but to have another form that is the start up form. This
    now startup form would do the password stuff and then when the correct password is entered the startup form would start the form that does the
    processing that you don't want done until the password is entered.
    Jerry Nesbett

Re:

I think you may have mis-read what I was asking. I wanted the actual Windows start-up to be stalled, not my program.

to tell you the truth I do not really understand the porpuse of this application. Why do I have to decrypt a random generated password to log on? Can you please specify?

When you say "windows start-up" you mean booting or logon?
    Which OS are you using?

Marco
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

Re:

Well, to make it less confusing, just forget about what I said the program should actually do in terms of the password. When I Say start-up I mean after loggin in in Windows XP.

AFAIK the only way to "get involved" with the bootup process under an NT-derived OS like XP or 2000 is the C++ GINA .DLL route.

VB6 just doesn't have access to the low level OS capabilities you need. You'll need to use a language like C, C++, or Assembly Language.

It's not going to be easy no matter which of the 3 above you choose-- as Phil said, there are legitimate security concerns with this kind of programming, so Windows makes you jump through various hoops to prove you have the right to what you're trying to do.

Sorry I don't have better news- but what you want can't be done in VB6 alone.

Perhaps you could modify your program design? Do you *really* need to block access to Windows itself? It seems to me that Windows itself does a pretty good job of doing what you're trying to do, as long as you're using the NTFS filesystem.

?

-Andrew

No, I do not need to block Windows, I just thought this would be the only way to prevent one from just alt+ctrl+deleting the program, or even just alt tabbing out.

In that case in XP it is already possible to restrict what the user can/cannot do. For example, our customers creates "operator" accounts with only one access: our programs that monitor their system. In that way the operator cannot play solitaire or browse the internet. See if that can help you.
    Marco
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

That way does not sound like it would block out the key combinations such as alt+ctrl+delete and alt+tab that would make the program I am trying to make not function as I intend it to. The only thing now I am trying to temporarily block out are those 2 key combinations.