DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Free PDF creator/modifier?

Free PDF creator/modifier?

Hello,

This is sort of in relation to my last post about making a scrolling form. I was also considering just outputting the data to a PDF.

I downloaded a few trials of PDF writer/editing libraries, but can't get any of them to perform as needed.

What I'm looking for is something that will:

1) Most preferrably, fill in the form fields of a PDF form with data from the program

2) also possible, but not as easy, create the entire PDF from scratch, but including form fields of a fixed size, which the data will be put into.

It should be FREE. I am doing this entire program on spec and can't pay $500 for something which might not be purchased.

Lastly, will a browser window within an MDI display a PDF? With the Acrobat plugin?

Thanks,
    Jason Antman

I don't know of any free libraries for PDF conversion. I tried some myself, and our company ended up "rolling our own".

As to the last question, I can definitively say yes, if you use the internet control in a child form in an MDI application, it WILL display the PDF file, so long as the plugin is installed (same as if it was loaded directly in the browser). I have written an app that does just that.
    Bob Rouse
    Dimension Data

You can pretty much forget about getting a PDF creator/modifier for free. Everyone wants one, and dozens of folks a month are looking for them.

Yet none have ever surfaced. Your either going to need to pay for it, or make your own. The payment method is probably cheaper.

FoxitSoftware.com has a SDK (you pay for it). The pay is based on what you need it to do. They might be a good place to talk to.