DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Converting UTC date format into SQL date field

Converting UTC date format into SQL date field

I have a delimited text file which has certain text fields containing strings with date and time information. Instead of the standard 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS' format, these strings are in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) format -- 'YYYY-MM-DDTHH24:MI:SS' -- the only difference being the inclusion of 'T' as a separator. For example, one such value appears in the text file as
    '2005-12-07T14:25:50'

My objective is to import this text file into an Oracle table via a control file. The appropriate fields in the table have been defined as being type Date. The control file instructs the program to read the aforementioned strings as date fields. However, I cannot seem to find the correct format that accounts for the 'T' separator. I've tried a few different ones, including 'YYYY-MM-DDTHH24:MI:SS', but none has worked.

I suppose as a last resort I could read in these specific fields as text fields, then execute a function which would strip out the 'T' separator. But I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a simpler solution.

Well, in case anyone is curious, the solution turns out to be quite simple. Use the following format:

'YYYY-MM-DD"T"HH24:MI:SS'

It's important that you place double quotes around the character T and single quotes around the entire format. The result is a datetime value without the character T.

Also, if the value being imported happens to be just 'T', the following statement should be used in your control file:

<fieldname> DATE 'YYYY-MM-DD"T"HH24:MI:SS' "decode(:<fieldname>, 'T', null, null, null, :<fieldname>)",

This tells SQL*Loader to assign a null value if <fieldname>='T' or <fieldname> is null. Otherwise, import the value as is.

Hope this helps someone out there, especially if you're dealing with lab data in CDISC format.

Smile Convert UTC date format into SQL DateTime format

You can filter and take out only datetime and remove timezone and cast it into datetime.
    Eg: select cast(left('2009-07-17T14:23:10-05:00',19) as datetime)