DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Addition of Stings in C++

Talking Addition of Stings in C++

hi i just started learning c++. I have been using turing and java but i thought its always best to start learning as a total newbie :P

well i was trying to make a program using functions and i had some problem adding strings e.g.

if string a is "hello"
    string b is "world"

string c should add a and b so its stores the string "helloworld"

the + thing doesnt work like it does in java or turing..

any help?

im using visual studio .net 2003

C++ std::string is not the same as Java's String.

You need to #include <string>

then:

using std::string;
    string a = "hello";
    string b="world";
    string c=a+b;
    Danny Kalev

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    C++ std::string is not the same as Java's String.

You need to #include <string>

then:

using std::string;
    string a = "hello";
    string b="world";
    string c=a+b;
    o wow thanx :D

its funny how string is common in programs and c++ has a separate header for it

Well, that's C++. You need to #include the specific libraries you're program will use. I don't think Java is very different in this respect. You also need to import the right packages in Java if you want to use them, don't you?
    Danny Kalev

yea but atleast u dont have to import stuff for the very basic things like strings and stuff

Well, C++ isn't Java for bad or good. The best way to learn a new language is to start thinking in that language instead of looking for the former language's features. BTW, if you want strings without header files you can use char *. Not that I would recommend it...
    Danny Kalev

you cannot do much in C++ without including the correct headers, lesson #1. The same 10 or 15 headers will unlock almost everything in the language, and you can do a LOT with only 5 or 6 of them.

The string one makes sense: until the standard string, there were 20 or more compiler/vendor/home-rolled/opensource/etc string libraries out there (MFC still supports their own string mess & has functions that want that object instead of std one). Adding it to the core language would break older programs that used the keyword "string" to mean one of those older libraries. Also, the C and C++ "way of doing stuff" is to include the stuff you need and to leave out what you don't need. Adding one thing to core language but not another would be even more confusing. (Ok we added strings, do we add math? vectors? everything & bloat it up? where are the lines drawn?)

I suppose one could take an older language that did all the hard work of resolving all these issues, copy it and clean it up, and claim that your new language was "better" because it forced the current popular programming paradigm onto the programmer, forced portability at the cost of performance, or had whatever other "features", but this has been done before and it created as many problems as it solved. What Im trying to say here is that no language is yet the end all be all way to express your ideas, your sort of stuck with new languages that severely limit your options or older ones that have some strange "historical" things but give you the freedom to do your job. Both have a place in todays programming world, and likely will for decades to come... roll with it and soon the reasons things are done the way they are will begin to make sense.