DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Using EXEL in my app ?

Arrow Using EXEL in my app ?

Hey all;
    I just wanna know if there is any restriction type to use office application in my project, I'm now making an option that save a selected form in EXEL format .. to be able to be saved as exel , edited and printed again .
    I use for this of course a refrence to exel.exe file so is there any restrictions in such a type of application ? must I tell micro$oft or what ?
    Other thing, I want to be safe that the user already have exel , so is there any problem to put the exel.exe file in my installation package ?
    I know obviously if the user want to have an exel copy, it must have exel installed but what if he want to save it only just for now and use it later or from another computer ? if taking the exe file is not leagel what must I do ?

Thanks for reply.
    Last edited by Amahdy; 01-29-2007 at 07:00 PM.
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

I need answer in both cases free and non-free app ? and if it's not leagl what should I do to have a permision from micro$oft ?

please I need answer urgent .
    Thanks
    Programmer&Cracker CS

I know this is late but...

You can not package or distribute Excel. Its a separately licensed program. The end users are required to each have their own license for it. You could write your files out to a .csv format for use in Excel later as its nothing more then a textfile with Comma Separated Values. Once opened in Excel when they do get it they can opt to save it in an xls Excel format.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer code questions via PMs.
    Microsoft MVP 2006-2009
    Office Development FAQ (VBA, VB6, VB.NET, C#)
    Software Engineer MCP (VB6 & .NET)
    Reps & Rating PostsVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6Outlook Global Address List

Thanks Rob for answer, actually I have to do that even if it's illeagle and maybe I have my reasons:
    1- I want to save a full formated report as exel sheet so I dont think that cvs can help.
    2- The software user have a lincense on his owen machine, but not on the server machine in where the softwae should run and should have the exel library to link to it .
    3- Micro$oft ignored my support ticket for no reason !

But still need a solution , I dont love to have a not fully leagle work and I need to do what the Master want in the software !
    Programmer&Cracker CS

I know that they are telling you that but even not having an Office Client Access License per user is illegal too.

Excel is a complex app that is just too difficult and troubling to even think of distributing.

If they have Excel on the system then just having your reference to Excel in your project is fine. Just error trap for it the system they try to run it from doesnt have Excel or the version you are supporting.

MS probably ignored your ticket since it illegal but would have been nice of them to just tell you cant distribute.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer code questions via PMs.
    Microsoft MVP 2006-2009
    Office Development FAQ (VBA, VB6, VB.NET, C#)
    Software Engineer MCP (VB6 & .NET)
    Reps & Rating PostsVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6Outlook Global Address List

I asked them about: if it's illegal how much must I pay to make this , and please don't tell me a complete office lincense ... that's all
    I think u know now why I haven't recived answers but at least I wanted suggestions .
    Anyway I baught the software like that, and my support for it will ends 1/7 ; and I don't plan to make this again bcoz I'm now looking forward to convert it to JAVA and use OpenOffice for newer versions .

Thanks again Rob.
    Programmer&Cracker CS

Can you use the Excel 2007 format? It should be a zipped XML file, so you could have full features stored within it. That would not require a copy of excel to create or use -- only knowing the format of the XML file. I assume this informaiton would be available online. Of course, writing the Excel 2007 file will require a bit of work on your part.

I don't see Microsoft letting you distribute Excel.exe with your applications.

Brad!

No I haven't any idea about it but maybe I'll look for this also. althouhgt it require the newest version of office at the client machine to be able to open them which is not true within at least two years I think ...

Thanks Brad .
    Programmer&Cracker CS

You can not bundle or appropriate Excel. Its an independently authorized program. The end-clients are needed to each have their own permit for it. You could work your records out to a .csv design for use in Excel later as its just a content document with Comma Separated Values. When opened in Excel when they do get it they can select to spare it in a Xls Excel design.

I agree with the previous commentator: the use of the .csv format will be very suitable, because this format is universal and can be used in different software.