DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: XP look & feel

XP look & feel

Hi all,

Am looking for recommendations for a dll(?) that will provide XP look & feel. Have googled and found 1,000,000+ entries, so would like any high recommendations!

Also (not sure if this is a silly question) some say you need XP - is this referring to the VB development machine, or the end-user if exe's are being distributed?

Greg

Thanks Noa,

Provides some answers that were missing re 'manifest's (esp the use of pic boxes!)

Greg

Using the manifest file described on that site, things are looking good, but can anyone throw any light on :-

'The listview and treeview in the illustration are from the VB5 common controls, which uses comctl32.dll' - how do I obtain/use them (for VB6), and are there any drawbacks?

Greg

You will find VB5 controls 'Microsoft Windows Common Controls 5.0 (SP2)' are standard on any OS up to XP. Right click the components toolbar and you can scroll down to them. They are not supported as standard in Vista and the VB5 runtimes are no longer shipped. However I can assure you that they work if you copy them to Vista!

The downside is that you would have to ship the VB5 runtimes with your VB6 programme and I don't know if comctrl32 can be re-distributed. Someone else will give you the definite answer there.

Why not search for VB6 replacements that have the 'look'. Try VBAccelerator and others.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

Am looking into VBaccelerator.

One question re your 'comctl32' - if I use this from W2000 and put on my XP (and do the same for users of exe), do you 'lose' some other features? If not, why is there a later one for XP? Would these other users be in danger of having some other prog that depended on a later version?

Cheers - Greg

Greg, each new version has bought more goodies to use. However give http://members.ozemail.com.au/~geoff...l32/index.html also try and do a general search.

Comctl32 exists on all versions of Windows up to and including XP. I don't have Vista, so don't know.

Steve.

Smile XP Look

Hi,

I have used Osen XP Form ActiveX (early freeware version) with excellent result in one very professional looking application.

That freeware version I found two years ago from freevbcode.com.

It is a little difficult to get all things working with it, but its worth it. You will get nice XP looking forms (even in Win95 and NT). Surely that latter commercial version might be even better.

Then you might also need that one: http://www.vbmaster.gbadmin.de/downl...etail.php?id=7 (excellent set of XP style controls).

I don't recommend to use manifest file method, because you won't get full set of XP look controls by using it. Some controls will still be in non XP look.

-nakkimake-