DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Help with XML

Help with XML

Hello All,
    I am new to XML. Can someone help me with XML in .Net and how to master XML.

I need help topics in using the xsd to convert data from SQL to XML.

Thank you

Get a copy of the 3rd edition of the XML Pocket Reference; it'll get you up and running with XML and XML Schema. Ignore the section on DTDs.

As far as SQL to XML goes, if you're using SQL Server 2000 or later, try appending FOR XML AUTO to the end of a select statement. The XML returned won't be valid per-se, since they won't have a top-level element, but you'll be able to work with it after wrapping a root element around its string value.

That's the easiest way to start out. The XSD functionality that you're talking about is called a "mapping schema", and it's a horrible pain to get precise. If you're dead set on using it, though, get a binder, print out the sections from the SQLXML 3.0 Documentation help file, and get ready to read, then not understand, then try, then fail, and eventually get something that spits out what you were looking for. I warn you though, if you're trying to get your result precise using only the mapping schema, it will be slow as molasses if you're working with anything complicated. Learn XSLT (pick up a pocket reference for that too) and just transform your result from whatever form will get it out of the database the quickest. FOR XML AUTO works best for that.

Good luck, it sounds like you're going to need it.

thank you

Can you suggest good books/web site on "3rd edition of the XML Pocket Reference"?

I really want to master XML.

Thank you for your help.

XML Pocket Reference, Third Edition. It's available at most Barnes & Nobles/Borders/bookstores.

I think you're looking at it wrong - there's really not much to XML, and there's really no point at which you've "mastered" it. If it's not broken (if the XML parses correctly), then it's valid XML - congratulations, you've passed. Now, as far as working with XML? Then you're talking about mastering the XML dialects and tools, such as XSLT, XPath, XML Schema, XQuery, XForms, XHTML... the list goes on and on, and there will be even more in the future. Just start out with XSLT - get a copy of the XSLT 1.0 Pocket Reference, and then start trying it. Try a whole bunch of different things. Download oXygenXML; you're going to need a good XML editor if you're trying not to drive yourself crazy while getting the hang of XSLT. Then try transforming anything into anything else; if it's XML coming in, then you can transform it into nearly anything you want. Think outside the box, and you'll do fine.