DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a variable an object?

Is a variable an object?

This is probably a dumb question but I'm really new to C++. I understand that a class creates a custom type. And when you instantiate it, you make an instance of the object. This is obviously very similar to creating a simple variable, so is a variable considered an object as well? Fundamental types don't seem to have member functions or data members like objects.

Yes, btw, I have searched for an answer to this before I posted. I've actually been searching for a week and have gotten mixed answers.

Yes is the same.

These terms are slightly overalpping. An object in the C++ world usually refers to an instance of a class, and sometimes it's called a class object to make the intention clearer. In the C world, an object is a variable or a constant.
    When reading text in "standardese" objects have the collective meaning of class objects and variables, i.e., a chunk of a memory that contains some value. In less official texts, for example newsgroup posts, one usually uses 'object' in the sense of a class object, and 'variable' for any POD type such as int, char etc.
    BTW, this isn't a dumb question at all.
    Danny Kalev

They are cosidered same. However for a complex class C
    C a;
    C b;

a=b (can throw exceptions,make your program crash)
    however int a ,b;
    a=b; will always work.

a=b; //assuming these are class objects
    Doesn't have to throw. It depends on how the copy-ctor, assignment operators etc. are implemented.

as for assigning two variables: surprisingly, you can have an exception here too (a trap actually) if one of the variables is a NaN for example. Therefore, this generalization is at best very loose.
    Danny Kalev

as Danny said, they're both a chunk of memory.

Well, you probably know what a constructor is,
    so you can say:

classA myObject(5,"something"); //for initialization of object

BUT

you can also say
    int a(10); //which is pretty much an initialization of int. Same as int=10;

So you see on both cases i'm initializing the Objects through constructors.
    Argumentation the "=" operator for initialization is overwritten.
    Last edited by etenv; 06-15-2007 at 04:41 PM.

So is it the same with all the types? The book I'm learning from seems to only refer to strings and vectors as objects since they have member functions. Int, char, float, etc. don't have member functions or data members within themselves do they?

as Danny said, they're both a chunk of memory.

Well, you probably know what a constructor is,
    so you can say:

classA myObject(5,"something"); //for initialization of object

BUT

you can also say
    int a(10); //which is pretty much an initialization of int. Same as int=10;

So you see on both cases i'm initializing the Objects through constructors.
    Argumentation the "=" operator for initialization is overwritten.
    When you assign an argument to the constructor in myObject, could you instead put classA myObject=5 just like a variable? Also, that value in the constructor would be a data member, so does that mean that int has a data member that holds its value?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to understand this all more clearly rather than just memorizing it.

no that kind of assignment (ClassA myObject=5 )wont go. The Operator "=" is only for "primary" types.

BTW,
    classA myObject(5,"something")
    should be
    classA classA(5,"something")

Sorry, my bad. :)

Actually, you *can* write Myclass a=5;

if Myclass has a constructor that takes int as an argument, and that constructor isn't declared explicit. Look for further information on explicit constructors on DevX. I've written several tips and articles about this topic.

To summarize: all variables are objects, but programmers usually restrict the former to non-class objects, and the latter to class objects.
    The more precise distinction in the C++ literature is: POD types and non-POD types.
    Danny Kalev

Okay, if that's the case, I'm a little confused with what my book is saying then. It says, "You can store objects in variables, just like with built-in types." Does that mean that the name (or identifier) is the variable and the value of it is the object?

no that kind of assignment (ClassA myObject=5 )wont go. The Operator "=" is only for "primary" types.

BTW,
    classA myObject(5,"something")
    should be
    classA classA(5,"something")

Sorry, my bad.
    Why are you assigning an object with the same name as the class?

Quote Originally Posted by zeeenza
    Okay, if that's the case, I'm a little confused with what my book is saying then. It says, "You can store objects in variables, just like with built-in types." Does that mean that the name (or identifier) is the variable and the value of it is the object?

Why are you assigning an object with the same name as the class?
    Sorry if i confused you. There is no particular reason. The only reason was that i wasn't focused and that i was thinking on something else while writing. So anyway, don't consider it important.
    But it's still something legal to do. a Class can have an Object with the same name, although you wouldn't want to have the same names for classes and objects in 99,9% of the cases :)

Would that compile? My guess is no. I could see if you have "Object object" but not "Object Object".

it compiled just fine with Dev-C++. My guess is it should compile anywhere.
    myClass::myClass, where is the problem?

I guess the compiler is smarter than I am. I would expect I could not be sure if the programmer was referring to the class or the object.

there is a concept of atomic data types which basically are data types that your CPU can *directly* manipulate: this is 8,16,32,64 bit integers and 32,64 and 80 bit floats for most common processors. (Whether your high level language abstracts them into objects or not). There will be some terminology difference from book to book, but these are not objects in the OOP sense.