DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: setting tab index

setting tab index

Hello!

In Java, what command that we can use to set tab index? For example, I have 4 JTextFields as inputs, and I only want to press TAB button in my keyboard in order to move it down.

Thank you guys!

The press of a key will generate a KeyEvent. Create a listener which listens to the events and, if the TAB key is pressed, then switches focus to the "next" of your textfields.

The Java Tutorial has a "How to Write a Key Listener" entry in the Swing trail:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor...ylistener.html

thanks..

Well, I didnt know that it would be that hard just to set my tab index.

A.

I would not characterize it as "hard" ... but that's a matter of perception, I guess. How else do you suggest we intercept the OS's hardware handler?

I am very new to JAVA programming; thus, I dont have any suggestions. I actually could press TAB button and the cursor moved from one JTextField to another. But, the problem is that I have another JTextFields which are not "editable;" I want to skip these JTextFields.

Also, I want to make ENTER key works, but it always gives me error. Same as disabling them. My instructor said that rather than putting error box whenever user put string inputs, it would be better if we use key listener to disable all the words (e.g. a, s, d, f, g, h, j, etc,) and only enabling the numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0).

I used so many error box, I'm afraid that he would take points off from me. I have the lowest mark on yesterday's quiz; so, I have to get full points in the project.

Sorry for the late reply, I was sleeping. I am in another side of the world, so we have different time zone. I would never ever take online classes anymore while I'm taking a summer off hahaha....

THANK YOU

A

Post Re : setting tab index

Quote Originally Posted by adityatan
    I am very new to JAVA programming; thus, I dont have any suggestions. I actually could press TAB button and the cursor moved from one JTextField to another. But, the problem is that I have another JTextFields which are not "editable;" I want to skip these JTextFields.

Also, I want to make ENTER key works, but it always gives me error. Same as disabling them. My instructor said that rather than putting error box whenever user put string inputs, it would be better if we use key listener to disable all the words (e.g. a, s, d, f, g, h, j, etc,) and only enabling the numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0).

I used so many error box, I'm afraid that he would take points off from me. I have the lowest mark on yesterday's quiz; so, I have to get full points in the project.

Sorry for the late reply, I was sleeping. I am in another side of the world, so we have different time zone. I would never ever take online classes anymore while I'm taking a summer off hahaha....

THANK YOU

A
    Hi Adityan

You could implement the KeyListener for the purpose of skipping and the same could be used for detecting the key presses. So you could program to skip if the key pressed is not a number.

For more support/clarity you can paste here the code wrapped by the code tags, for presenting the problem/exceptions much accurately.
    It could help increase the possibility of getting precise answers.
    With Regards
    Anand

keyListener

import java.awt.*;
    import java.awt.event.*;
    import javax.swing.*;
    import javax.swing.border.*;
    import java.text.*;

public class FutureAnnuity extends JFrame
    {
    // JButton to initiate calculations for Future Annuity Balance, Total of Payments, and Total Interest Earned
    private JButton calculateJButton;

public FutureAnnuity()
    {
    createUserInterface();
    }

public void createUserInterface()
    {

Container contentPane = getContentPane();
    contentPane.setBackground( Color.WHITE );
    contentPane.setLayout( null );

calculateJButton = new JButton();
    contentPane.add( calculateJButton );
    calculateJButton.addActionListener(

new ActionListener() // annonymous inner class
    {
    // event handler called when calculateJButton is pressed
    public void actionPerformed( ActionEvent event )
    {
    calculateJButtonActionPerformed( event );
    }

} // end annonymous inner class

); // end call to addActionListener

setTitle( "Future Annuity - Project 1" ); // set title bar text
    setSize( 390, 398 ); // set window size
    setVisible( true ); // display window

} // end method createUserInterface

// calculate the Future Annuity Balance, Total of Payments, and Total Interest Earned
    private void calculateJButtonActionPerformed( ActionEvent event )
    {
    annuity();

} // end method calculateJButtonActionPerformed

public static void main ( String[] args)
    {
    FutureAnnuity application = new FutureAnnuity();
    application.setDefaultCloseOperation( JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE );

} // end method main

} // end class FutureAnnuity

annuity() is my calculation. I will provide it in the next page.

In annuity(), you can see that there are a lot of try and catch, since i want to validate
    input values. if you can tell me where to put the key listener for disabling non-number pads

I want the code to process calculation when we pressed ENTER when calculateJButton is focus.

I skipped so many procedures here. So dont worry about them.

Thank you!

Aditya

key listener

Thanks ananth

I really want to give the code to you; however, this is an open forum, I can't give it right away, because this is a site recomended by my teacher. My code could be copied by my other classmates who may visited the site. Please contact me at rc_kola2000@yahoo

Do you want to validate as you go? That seems wasteful. Wouldn't it be more meaningful to wait to validate completed input? That is what is nice with Pattern and Matcher - you take the input stream, if it matches the requirements of the pattern you submit and process (convert to float or whatever you're going to do), if it does not match you invite the user to try again. In this manner you are checking programmatically, with a "while" or "if" loop rather than counting on try/catch to do this for you.

As to your navigation keypresses - there is no way around it. You'll just have to establish KeyListeners for your containers to respond to enter or tab or whatever other key you want to provide functionality for [that's one of the great parts of programming: YOU have the power to provide the functionality YOU design rather than being dependent on what others might expose to you ... but the responsibility is that YOU have to provide it].