DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best webserver firewall ?

Arrow Best webserver firewall ?

Hey everybody;

I know that checkpoint is the best firewall for a dedicated server, but also it's too expensive ... for a small business plan, we pay 100$ per month ... anybody suggest another good firewall ? or anybody know a common bad issue if I buy the software and install it myself instead ? or it will be much more expensive in that case ? if you use a firewall please tell me your suggestions and why u recommend it . Thanks.
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

Outpost firewall?

Thanks for your answer.

Is this designed to run under dedicated servers ? and do you have some good experience with it ? because at the website they talk only about the PC protection .
    Programmer&Cracker CS

If money is your primary concern, then what kind of price range would you find acceptable?

Thanks Hack;

I don't know how to decide about that, I rent the server for 250$/month and the firewall cost 100$/month .. so now I don't use firewalls anymore because this extra 100 bucks are too expensive for such small business. I know it's somewhat risky but there still webservers that run good and safely without firewalls... but I want to know if anyone here has a better solution .. maybe buying the software for myself will be cheaper ? or another good webserver firewall .. i know checkpoint is exllent and the best but as you said it's expensive for me now ... i really hope to have one for example for 30$/month maximum 50$/m (total of 300$/m) ... or buy it once for a range of 1000$ if this is a better solution .. I need your suggestions.
    Programmer&Cracker CS

Linux (redhat 5) server ...
    Programmer&Cracker CS

Cisco?

Have you considered a decent hardware firewall?

Hello jetx; thanks very much for your suggestion, do you think it's a good solution ? actually I feel like it's useless .. it only protect the local network or somewhat like that ... but doesn't protect the web interface ... maybe I'm wrong , so please tell me more suggestions .. and which one you recommend ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Programmer&Cracker CS

Security Appliance

Cisco is just one. You could look at various appliances depending upon budget, eg Cisco 5500 ASA (Adaptive Security Appliance). There are a few ways to set it up, the simplist being a DMZ so the router (internet) goes through the firewall to your DMZ network where all your public services.. web servers, ftp, etc; the LAN is separate from this.

Getting it set up. Cisco is a little daunting so cheaper (time and security wise) to get a Cisco qualified tech, shouldn't cost more than a few hours work.

Take a look hare: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...omparison.html

thanks jetx for the info.
    but still want to know if it's really useful as firewall for webinterface ...
    any proof or documentaion for this, or why software firewall is much more expensive ? we have already a CISCO router here in the company .. but I'm not sure if this what we should have near the server too, I just want to protect the server ports, ftp, web-interface .. and give a very little access to some programs, I mean for example not to completly close a port number but give access to one only program and prevent anything else ... and so on
    I'm waiting your answer because according to it I should decide if I'll upgreat the hosting plan or no ... so please give me more details. thanks in advance.
    Programmer&Cracker CS

Hello jetx; no news ?
    Programmer&Cracker CS

OpenBSD is my first choice of firewall in the world when security in the concerned. Moreover, this firewall is free of charge.

Hello Peter, thank you for the information.
    The problem that I have redhat at the server not unix, is it easy to change the OS ? should I open a ticket for this or what should I do ? I know this may take some time, our server will be down during this time ... and I googled for this and the results are something like "use OpenBSD as firewall" .. or "how to firewall protect OpenBSD" and so on , can you please give me a direct dcoumentations about a good firewall with openbsd package ? to just be sure before doing anything , and any info if there is similar for redhat would be better for my case ?
    Thanks you.
    Programmer&Cracker CS

Here are some links you might want to take a look at.

http://www.openbsd.org/security.html

http://www.openbsd.org/

http://www.openbsd101.com/

Thanks Hack, but still moving from redhat to unix I think it needs too much work .. and reinstalling applications and updates and configuring database , website down , moving storage, don't know what to do really I hope just not being attacked by any bad guy those next couple of monthes, ... just a wish !!!!!!!

..and later I'll reinstall the checkpoint software.
    Programmer&Cracker CS