DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Problems with Certificates

Problems with Certificates

Hello guys,

I have an application that uses a Server certificate to protect the web connections to the application.

Every user have to have a client certificate too in order for them to connect to the application.

The thing is that I have installed a server certificate already used by another machine ("Server 1") on a new server ("Server 2") because we have to migrate our testing environment to this new machine.

I can connect using my certification to the "Server 1" but not to the new one ("Server 2", the one where I copied the certificate).

When I try to connect to "Server 2", WITH THE SAME CLIENT CERTIFICATE (this one works correctly on "Server 1") I'm getting an error message (see below).

The servers are different.

"Server 1" is a Windows 2000 machine with IIS 5.1.

"Server 2", where the certificate is not working is a Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6

Both IISs are configured the same way.

Do you think the problem is the server certificate that is not working correctly because I copied the server certificate from one server to another?

What the problem could it be?

PLEASE HELP !

Thank you all

ERROR MESSAGE:

The page requires a valid SSL client certificate
    Your client certificate was revoked, or the revocation status could not be determined. A Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) client certificate is used for identifying you as a valid user of the resource.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrator to establish to establish client certificate permissions or to obtain a new certificate.
    HTTP Error 403.13 - Forbidden: Client certificate has been revoked on the Web server.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 403.
    Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled About Certificates, Certificate Revocation Lists, Enabling Client Certificates, and About Custom Error Messages.

generally the certificate contains many identical informations for the server that it run under it, like the server domain name, in local network maybe this will be just the IP address.
    so when maybe you have copied the crtificate, with the same signed data, the problem occure becaue the new server has a different Ip than the oldest one. this type of securty is very important or like that anyone can install say any microsoft's certificate under his server and tell ppl that he is a micro$oft partner or at least secured and this is not true.
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

do you have a problem installing a new one instead ?
    Programmer&Cracker CS
    MyBlog:Blog.Amahdy.com
    MyWebsite:www.Amahdy.com

Problems with Certificates

Thank you for helping Amahdy.
    I'll try installing a new certificate for my machine.

Thank you again