DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: smilies have been disabled

smilies have been disabled;)

It's been a longstanding problem, particularly on the C++ forum: sequences such as ); and :: which are VERY common in C++ code, were treated as smilies and distorted code listings which weren't enclosed in CODE tags. Although users can turn off smilies from their posts explicitly, many posts are from first time users who aren't aware of that, and even experienced members don't have the time and patience to master these intricacies. Furthermore, many members don't enclose code listings in code tags (I often ignore code tags too because they take up more time). So I decided to disable smilies completely in the C++ forum. Considering their negligible usefulness in a professional C++ forum, and considering the damage they do cause, I think it's a reasonable compromise -- readable code, and no smilies.

If you find this policy too draconian, please let me know and I'll see if this policy should be reviewed.
    Last edited by Danny; 01-09-2008 at 07:18 PM.
    Danny Kalev

I personally think similes are an important part of our language. They are like decorations. I think life itself is like a simile.

I'm not sure I would go as far as say life itself is like a similie, but otherwise I would agree about them.

However, in this instance, and for that one section, I support the move. The smilies make heavy use of the ":" sign, and so does the C++ language. As pointed out, this can cause problems when attempting to post code.

You can still use smilies but in their raw text form, e.g., :) :( and so on. They will not be automatically replaced with a small icon, as they have been thus far. And again, the :( sequence is quite common in C++ code: member initialization lists for example, the ? ternary operator etc., so I prefer to let them stand for what they are (i.e., two characters) and let the human reader interpret them according to the context. Humans are far better than vBulletin in this respect, at least!
    Danny Kalev

Thumbs up Good decision

Smilies are good, no doubt. They help you add 'emotions' and 'gestures' to text you type. But I think that it does more harm than good for this particular forum. It is a head ache to go back and correct code that has been converted to smilies. And it is too tiring to put code tags for a single line of code. Good decision Danny.

nice decision..go ahead

Great idea..

It is a pet hate of mine!