DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: FILE or file descriptor for an fstream?

FILE or file descriptor for an fstream?

Can I get an associated FILE or file descriptor for an fstream object?

My guess is no, since O'reilly doesn't tell me how and says that basic_filebuf may or may not use stdio.h functions.

I thought I'd ask the experts before giving up.

What exactly are you wanting to do? I think you can get a descriptor, but not a C FILE structure from a fstream. But what is the goal?

This is a frequent question, and the answer is probably "no". At least with respect to standard C++, there's no way to obtain a descriptor from an fstream object or bind an fstream object to a descriptor. The reason, as your book suggested, is implementation dependecies. Just as new doesn't necessarily have to use malloc() to allocate raw memory, the fstream library isn't required to use stdio.h as its underlying implementation, and in fact, there are quite a few libraries that don't implement fstream by means of stdio.h.
    Non-standard API (mostly in the POSIX) world did have a way to do that though. They are deprecated and non-portable but they will probably live forever, just as io.h does...
    Danny Kalev

What led to the question was my desire to "lock" streams for thread safety: to prevent mixing and matching of lines of output.
    In POSIX.1, all FILE type routines are required to act as though sandwiched between flockfilelock() and flockfileunlock(). Depending on the implementation of ostreams, you might (only hope) to get items between the "<<" to be output "atomically".

It would be wonderful if the new c++ standards include stream locking.... Will they?

C++ is in the process of adding concurrency support, which includes a thread library, a modified memory model etc. so I assume that streams will also undergo a similar facelift, but at the moment I'm not aware of any concrete proposal.
    Danny Kalev

In the process...
    Does that mean don't expect it in c++09?

Not necessarily. There are concrete C++09 proposals for thread support, and there's also a proposal for thread-local storage, so may get something like a thread-local stream object that can be accesses only from within its thread.
    Most stream implementations are already thread safe to some extent, e.g., Rogue Wave's STL uses locks for I/O.
    Danny Kalev