Thread: Variable sized arrays

Variable sized arrays

When I use g++ -pedantic, it complains about:

Code:
    int SomeClass::f(int i,...)
    {
       char buf[i];
    }
    It gives me the message that ISO C++ forbids variable-size arrays.

Is g++ correct in calling this a variable-sized array?

If it is correct, can someone tell me the rationale on why the above code is bad?

(I can change it by "char *buf = new char[i]; ", but then I don't get the benefit of an auto variable.

Variable sized arrays are available only in C99. See http://www.devx.com/cplus/10MinuteSolution/27219

In C++ and in pre C99 C all arrays must have constant sizes which are must be known at compile time (yes, there are constants which aren't known at compile time but that's a digression).
    In your code, you're using a variable instead of a constant as the array's size so the compiler assumes that you meant to use VSA. If you want to use this feature you need to enable C99 extensions explicitly, but note that this will make your code non-portable (at least with respect to C++).
    Danny Kalev

Thanks for the info.
    When I think variable-sized array, I think of BASIC or what we can do in collection classes. Since the size of the array was fixed at instantiation, I thought of it as a fixed-size array.
    Of course, this means that the compiler can't know what size it is at compile time.
    Is the issue, then, that the compiler needs/wants to know the size of any object that will be instantiated on the stack (versus the heap)?

Exactly. The compiler must know the exact size of an array to allocate sufficient stack or static storage for it (that is, it needs to know the offset for other local variables on the same stack frame). In C99, the meaning of an array was stretched, and now arrays can have a size that isn't known at compile time but this incurs serious performance penalties and risks. Anyway, C++ isn't going to adopt this feature. I spoke with Bjarne Stroustrup about this and other C99 features. He didn't exactly express his enthusiasm about VSAs...
    Danny Kalev

> Anyway, C++ isn't going to adopt this feature
    i guess, because std::vector<> does provide equivalent functionality.
    albeit, less efficiently (when you have sufficient stack space).

std::vector is no quite the same thing because its allocation scheme is dynamic, it's resizable, it occupies much more memory than N*sizeo(T) objects, a vector's address is not the address of the first array element etc.
    The closest thing to VSA is std::array<T>, or some non-standard stack-allocated dynamic arrays. To be honest, C++ doesn't have a viable equivalent to VSAs.
    Danny Kalev

In C++ the array size must be known before compilation. If you wants that the user give the size of array then take the input at run time and passes it to the array.