DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: encryption

encryption

hi all,

any of you using ShareCrypt from www.securstar.com?

i work for a company that is interested in the product. basically it encrypts shared network drives or folders by allowing simultaneous data access to different users and preventing unauthorized access from non-authorized people. that's about all i know about it..i never tried it myself though.

any infos and suggestions from people that already tried it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!

Well, it looks like a legitimate website and product and it uses good encryption methods with AES 256 bit and Blowfish 448 Bit so that is another plus.

Do you have it on board yet, or are you just at the research stage?

encryption

hi,

no, i haven't tried it myself yet, i'm in the research stage

i have talked to the customer support from SecurStar though..among other things i was concerned that it isn't an open source soft but here's what i found out regarding a possible backdoor: "We have never been asked by any government to add a "back door" into our software, and we have no interest in making one. In any case, no country in the world, other than Germany (where SecurStar is incorporated), can force us to put a back door in our software. Please note that we incorporated SecurStar in Germany, because Germany is one of the few governments in the world that actively promotes strong cryptography while other countries are more restrictive on this subject matter. If laws in Germany should change in the future, we are prepared to move the company accordingly."

So this is info that comes directly from the source and I believe it or at least it sounds legitimate...

thank you for responding, i hope i will hear more suggestions and opinions soon.

Hello atlanteea,

If you are really interested in that software you can access the home page of the company SecurStar and download there the trial version they do offer, for 30 days, so you`ll be able to see if it fit your companies needs and also if it is easy to use.

Good luck and let me know how it worked!

hello snowwhite,

thank you for your reply!

Hi,

I have finally tried the software and i must say i am very pleased with it.

first i decided to use the hong kong server but it didn't seem to work properly on that server so i followed your advice and contacted the customer support, and that was a good decision because they were quite helpful, they moved me on the netherlands server which is working perfectly...

thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by atlantea
    hello snowwhite,

thank you for your reply!

Hi,

I have finally tried the software and i must say i am very pleased with it.

first i decided to use the hong kong server but it didn't seem to work properly on that server so i followed your advice and contacted the customer support, and that was a good decision because they were quite helpful, they moved me on the netherlands server which is working perfectly...

thanks anyway

Your welcome,

But the last part of your reply I did n`t understand completely so please write back what you meant.

10X