DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Multi Select Terms And Conditions

Multi Select Terms And Conditions

Hi,

This is my first post.

I am coding a client/server application which needs the user to select and save multiple terms and conditions. Each clause (terms and conditons) can be of any length. These terms and conditions will change for each master record and hence the user should be able to select which to include and exclude from the final printout. On the data entry interface, the user should be able to view and select (checkbox) which clause applies.

What should be the best logic and method to implement this considering the fact that the database will grow very big over a period of time? Please assist. Its urgent.

Front-end IDE: VB6
    Database MS Access (To be changed to server class later on)

Thanks in advance,

Tom

The method would depend on how each term or condition is stored and how it is linked. Are you attaching these terms and conditions to a document or to the user himself? Is there a standard list of terms and conditions that they must select from? Are the users allowed to add or edit new terms or conditions?
    You need a table to hold the terms and conditions. It should have a key field that links each entry to the particular User/Document. If they are allowed to edit or add their own terms and conditions then you will need a text field for these otherwise a key field that links to a standard term/condition will do, and finally a Yes/No field which is Yes to include it and No to exclude it.
    You should have a master table that contains a list of the standard terms/conditions. If they are allowed to edit these then when one is selected from the list you can copy the text from this table to the text field in the users table. If they are not allowed to edit the text then you can just store the key field for this term/condition in the users table(save a lot of space). You can also use this table to get a list of items to preload into the users table, so all they have to do is select Yes or No to the ones to Include/Exclude.

Thanks very much, Ron.

But I have already considered all these factors. Anyway to answer your questions -

1. The terms and conditions will become a part of the final document and not linked to the user.
    2. There will be a standard list of terms and conditions (Terms and Conditions Master) where the user can add/edit new/existing terms.
    3. The master table will hold the terms and conditions and will also have a unique id field.

For each new agreement/contract record, the user has to select any/all terms and conditions (from the master table) that apply to that particular contract. These selection of terms and conditions should again be editable both in terms of selection only (remove/add existing/add new terms). The text for each term and condition will not be editable here in the contract/agreement module. That helps limit down the size of this table and eventually the database also.

My requirement is how to normalize the contract/agreement table so that it indicates which terms and conditions id is included (IDs not appearing will be deemed to have been excluded), such that when I have to show the entire contract/agreement on the screen, it will show all included terms and conditions. The same method will then apply while printing the contract/agreement (CR8 report). Should I store the terms and conditions ID in one field separated by commas or something? If yes, how to cover the removal or inclusion of existing/new terms and clause ID (before final print). Having a Yes/No field is a good idea but that would mean i have to populate each contract/agreement with all existing IDs from the master table and then let the user select yes/no.

To summarize, I need some tips on normalizing or defining the structure of the contract/agreement table. The rest should then be easy.

Nonetheless, thanks very much, Ron.

Regards,

Tom

You need to store the terms ID's in a seperate table linked by the contracts ID.
    This way you can have any number or combination of terms for each contract.
    Last edited by Ron Weller; 07-16-2008 at 11:39 AM.

One more thought. Having the Terms and conditions in a master table is a good way to do it; but allowing users to edit these terms could cause many problems. If you change a term then every contract with that term will also be changed. Once a contract has been accepted you won't want the terms changing and you don't want one person's contract changes effecting any other persons contract. Of course you probably have already thought of this.

Thanks once again, Ron.

I sure did think of the risk of allowing users to change the terms. Thats why i was kinda in between ideas. But i think i will settle for the idea you gave of saving the terms' IDs alongwith the contract's ID. The table naturally will grow huge over a period of time (calls for periodic purge) but i guess thats the only way out with this kinda requirement anyway.

Once again, thanks very much Ron

Tom