DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Excel 2000, Copy function

Thumbs up Excel 2000, Copy function

Is there any way to copy only the populated cells in a worksheet via VB code? I am creating a dasa base that pulls data from worksheets that will be constantly updated with new info. I would like to be able to extract the data from the constantly updated worksheet by using VB code to copy only the populated cells.

Thanks

Steven

Welcome To DevX

The simple answer is Yes.

However, before the "how" answer can be given, we would need to know a few things.

Will the populated cells ALWAYS be the same? In other words, something like A1:F26?
    I assume the excel spreadsheet name will never change?
    Will the contents of each cell go into its own db table field or will the data in different cells be combined to go into one field?
    How often does this get populated?
    What happens at the end of the day when you go home and your program stops running?

(BTW: What database are you using?)

Vb

I am creating database using excel 2000. I work in the oil business, the continualy updated worksheets, we'll call it "Rig Info" from now on, each contain data specific to one rig. The concept is to have one main worksheet where you can select the rigs you want to view, click a button, and the output gives you the data from each of these rigs in one worksheet ("Report Sheet"). The Rig Info sheets can be updated at any time. The Rig Info formats will stay the same, but when it is updated with new info, the info will populate the next available row. The Rig Info data extracted today might have cells A1:F10 populated, but tomorrow the Rig Info sheet might have 2 new data entries leaving A1:F12 populated. I am looking for a code that will select and copy only the populated rows...I hope this explanation helps

Thanks,
    Steven

Based on what you posted, this application begs, screams out and pleads for the use of a real database as opposed to Excel.

Have you worked with anything like Access before?

No, I have never used access...just visual basics.

Ok, then we will stay with Excel (but I would suggest looking at a database tutorial)

Back to your example...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveng1017
    The concept is to have one main worksheet where you can select the rigs you want to view
    So far, so good
    click a button, and the output gives you the data from each of these rigs in one worksheet ("Report Sheet").
    The first worksheet has a list of Rigs, and you choose one. Got it.

Once that you have chosen one, where is the data coming from that will produce the output?
    The Rig Info sheets can be updated at any time.
    This is a bit confusing. Previously you said I would pick the rig that I wanted to view, then click a button to see the output. If this is the case, how are the sheets updated at any time?

The big question here is: what is producing the data that I will be copying to a worksheet? Where is it coming from?

This might be a moot question if, regardless of where it is coming from, it all mysteriously winds up on a single spreadsheet, and all I have to do is go to that spreadsheet and copy what I want to another spreadsheet.

Is there any way to copy only the populated cells in a worksheet via VB code?
    Yes there is an object for each worksheet called UsedRange. With it you can determin the number of used rows and columns.
    ActiveWorksheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    ActiveWorksheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count