DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defining v. Coding

Quote Originally Posted by User Experience View Post
    If you test a part of an app and it doesn't work correctly, is it difficult to fix?
    If you are having a problem with your car, how long do you think it would take a mechanic to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    If you are having a problem with your car, how long do you think it would take a mechanic to fix it?
    Haha...I guess that depends on how hard the mechanic works.

What are some of the most common applications you're working on?

All Financial related.

All Financial related.
    Are you using Rich intefaces with any of those or are you more focused on logic and functionality?

The interfaces involved I wrote, from scratch, as I did with all of the rest of the functionality for each app.

The only thing I didn't do myself was the construction of the actual SQL Server 2000 database. That is handled by another department and anything I need done in those terms are done based on a request created by me and approved by this department's manager.

The interfaces involved I wrote, from scratch, as I did with all of the rest of the functionality for each app.

The only thing I didn't do myself was the construction of the actual SQL Server 2000 database. That is handled by another department and anything I need done in those terms are done based on a request created by me and approved by this department's manager.
    Do you think Rich Interfaces are selling features for software and applications? I've wondered this for a while now, whether the look and feel of the application makes a huge difference, or if the workflows and logic are what set apps apart.

Quote Originally Posted by User Experience
    Do you think Rich Interfaces are selling features for software and applications? I've wondered this for a while now, whether the look and feel of the application makes a huge difference, or if the workflows and logic are what set apps apart.
    I think there are two answers to this.

If you are writing commerical software, then I believe a rich interface would be a HUGE selling point.

If, on the other hand, you are a corporate developer whose sole purpose in life is to automate a business process then I don't think the user community much cares what it looks like as long as it works and makes their jobs easier to do.

So, if you are in the market to market rich interface software, I would target commerical deveopment companies.

I think there are two answers to this.

If you are writing commerical software, then I believe a rich interface would be a HUGE selling point.

If, on the other hand, you are a corporate developer whose sole purpose in life is to automate a business process then I don't think the user community much cares what it looks like as long as it works and makes their jobs easier to do.

So, if you are in the market to market rich interface software, I would target commerical deveopment companies.
    I agree with you completely. Does WPF appeal to you much then? Considering that you're developing financial apps for a large company, do you find WPF appealing or does it matter if you use that of WinForms.

It might if I were back in my home shop working on our products again.

Here in the corporate world, however, it is more of a "get it done and get it done now" envirnoment that I don't think rich interfaces would have much of a home in.

It might if I were back in my home shop working on our products again.

Here in the corporate world, however, it is more of a "get it done and get it done now" envirnoment that I don't think rich interfaces would have much of a home in.
    Yeah, I would see it that way as well.

Do you create applications on the side for creative or enjoyment purposes? I guess for those WPF could be appealing.

In theory though, even if you weren't concerned about RUI's couldn't you still use WPF to create the apps you would in Winforms without bulking up the UI?

In theory...sure!

In theory...sure!
    I guess its a matter of sticking with what has worked for you since you started.

What developing tasks are easier to perform in WPF? What about WinForms?

Quote Originally Posted by User Experience View Post
    What developing tasks are easier to perform in WPF? What about WinForms?
    I've never used the Rich Interfaces so I have no points of comparision.

I've never used the Rich Interfaces so I have no points of comparision.
    Ahhh...I see.

I've heard developers say WPF applications end up being slow and bulky on your RAM because of the heavy focus on UI's and graphics.

Then there are developers who store all of their UI files and coding in a single, separate .dll

Are you developing any CRM like applications?