DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Buttons appearing too quickly ...

Angry Buttons appearing too quickly ...

VB6/XP, Hobby Programmer. I'm suddenly having a problem with a command button appearing before the rest of the form.

ie. form1 loads form2 , then unloads itself. You play a little game on form2. When the game is over form2 does this 'form1.show', then unloads itself.

It has worked great forever, then just recently I noticed the default command button for form1 will pop up (become visible) over the top of the form2 background graphic before form2 is unloaded, and before the entire form1 becomes visible.

Can someone tell me how to keep this from happening? And maybe better yet, what I might have recently done to make it happen? I've been dabbling with this App for a long time and never had this problem. I did recently add a bunch of graphics to an imagelist on the form, but I tried removing all but one and no change.

Any help appreciated.

Shannon

me.hide
    form1.show
    unload me

Good Luck

Can you zip up your project and attach it?

I'd like to take a look.

VB5 ... when I read your post, I thought, "Duh". Then I tried it and it failed to stop the problem.

I got the button to stop what I'm calling 'penetration' of my previous form by changing the tab index away from '0'. Apparently, being the first item in the tab index is what trigger it to appear so quickly. I hadn't noticed at the time of my first post, but I also have this graphic penetration issue with several other controls. Two small text boxes,. which when replaced with labels, ceased to have the problem. And now, two remaining up/dn controls are doing the same thing. I tried changing the tab index to very late, and replacing them with slider controls, but neither worked, as the slider controls exhibited the same behavior.

I think I can remedy by making two little custom graphic buttons, but I'd really like to understand the 'why' of this situation, since as I said in post one, I don't recall this issue until recently. What could have changed to cause it?

Still confused.

try...
    me.hide
    doevents
    form1.show
    unload me

Good Luck

Okay, I tried that ... interesting workaround (will remember this concept). Now what's happening is the form2 is being successfully hidden (first), but the little white boxes/buttons are now showing up OUTSIDE any VB form (just before redisplaying form1) and can be seen against my Desktop Wallpaper. LOL. I laugh because it was unexpected. What a pain this has become.

Any other suggestions?

All out! Don't know besides putting a me.visible = true in form load but I don't think that will help. Perhaps post your code so Hack can take a look...

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by hack View Post
    can you zip up your project and attach it?

I'd like to take a look.
    It couldn't hurt...

Try implementing a timer on form 1 that waits a second and then makes the form visible (then disables itself). In form2 do:

Code:
    form1.timer1.enabled = true
    me.close
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    VB6/XP, Hobby Programmer. I'm suddenly having a problem with a command button appearing before the rest of the form.

ie. form1 loads form2 , then unloads itself. You play a little game on form2. When the game is over form2 does this 'form1.show', then unloads itself.

It has worked great forever, then just recently I noticed the default command button for form1 will pop up (become visible) over the top of the form2 background graphic before form2 is unloaded, and before the entire form1 becomes visible.

Can someone tell me how to keep this from happening? And maybe better yet, what I might have recently done to make it happen? I've been dabbling with this App for a long time and never had this problem. I did recently add a bunch of graphics to an imagelist on the form, but I tried removing all but one and no change.

Any help appreciated.

Shannon

...joe

That's an idea, Joe, thanks!

Hack, it's too big to just be passing around, and maybe more importantly, the last thing I would ever do is let an advanced programmer look at my elementary coding attempts.