DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: C++, RTTI and vectors; getting the exact type

C++, RTTI and vectors; getting the exact type

Hello,

I have a base class that derives two childs.

class A {};
    class B : public A {};
    class C : public A {};

I have another class that has a pointer to collection of class A members using a vector, something like this:

vector<*A> *m_collection;

And what I do is to create objects of class B or C and add the to the collection using push_back:

B *myb = new B();
    m_collection->push_back(myb);

Then I loop the collection and try to check using 'typeid' but it always return the base class (A). Is it not possible to know the exact type?

Thank you!!!

For typeid to be evaluated at run-time, it must be applied to a reference to a polymorphic class type.

This means, class A must be a polymorphic type - ie. it must have at least one virtual function. for example,
    Code:
    class A { public: virtual ~A() {} /* .... */ };
    typeid must be applied to a reference (not pointer). for example,

Code:
    A* pointer = m_collection[i] ;
    if( pointer != 0 )
    {
            A& reference = *pointer ;
            const std::type_info& typeinfo = typeid(reference) ;
    }
    This would give you the type_info corrosponding to the run-time type of the object.

One tint nit: your vector needs to be declared like this:
    vector<A*> m_collection;

There's no need to use m_collection as a pointer, unless you want to pass it to a function.
    Danny Kalev

Since you seem to be a learner (as am I), let me be so bold as to make a suggestion. Rarely should you need typeid or dynamic_cast to determine if the object is from a derived class. That is, you should rarely want to know. The base class pointer (which may point to an object of a derived class) should behave correctly without first interrogating it.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixj View Post
    Since you seem to be a learner (as am I), let me be so bold as to make a suggestion. Rarely should you need typeid or dynamic_cast to determine if the object is from a derived class. That is, you should rarely want to know. The base class pointer (which may point to an object of a derived class) should behave correctly without first interrogating it.
    Thanks for you advice. I am a learner too. But I don't really see the point why should I not interrogate an object which type it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    One tint nit: your vector needs to be declared like this:
    vector<A*> m_collection;

There's no need to use m_collection as a pointer, unless you want to pass it to a function.
    True, thanks. Yes, in the "real" code I will need to pass it to a function. I tend to use pointers all the time. I don't know if this is not a good practice. Should the code have an excess of pointers or the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by vijayan View Post
    For typeid to be evaluated at run-time, it must be applied to a reference to a polymorphic class type.

This means, class A must be a polymorphic type - ie. it must have at least one virtual function. for example,
    Code:
    class A { public: virtual ~A() {} /* .... */ };
    typeid must be applied to a reference (not pointer). for example,

Code:
    A* pointer = m_collection[i] ;
    if( pointer != 0 )
    {
            A& reference = *pointer ;
            const std::type_info& typeinfo = typeid(reference) ;
    }
    This would give you the type_info corrosponding to the run-time type of the object.
    THANK YOU!!! I worked fine!!!

There will be rare times when you need to, which is why the capability is provided. Generally, however, a base class has virtual functions because you want it to behave polymorphically, e.g.
    Code:
    // Given that Plane and Bird are classes derived from Winged with a virtual function fly()
    Plane plane(...);
    Bird bird(...);
    Winged* winged[2] = { &plane, &bird };

winged[0]->fly();
    winged[1]->fly();
    I don't need to know what kind of Winged winged[i] is, I just want it to fly like it is supposed to. If I need to know, there's a least a decent chance that I didn't need the virtual functions.

i don't think it's a good practice to put pointers into a vector without first ensuring they are handled correctly; furthermore, using RTTI to determine an object's type IMHO sort of defeats the idea of polymorphism -- your code should be designed so it doesn't have to ask: "what type are you", the beauty of polymorphism is that the appropriate member function is called automatically and determined during runtime.