DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Game programming with Visual C++, MFC and TCP, UDP and Socket API

Wink Game programming with Visual C++, MFC and TCP, UDP and Socket API

Hello everyone,

I have to do programming to make a small, straightforward game operating over a LAN network. I think I should use Visual C++ and MFC libraries from Microsoft, because it's easy to learn and use. Dealing with some network programming concepts such as TCP, UDP and some Socket API is also essential.

I have no background in gaming and network programming. So, I face some difficulties.

Can you please give me some simple sample games source codes such as hangman, bingo, puzzle etc., with or without networking, for me to get familiar with.
    I appreciate projects built with MS Visual C++ 2005/2008. But any advices are invaluable!

Thank you for any help.

Edit by admin: no contact info permitted on the forum, thank you

If you think MFC is easy to learn. Then simply learn it and make a game using it.

Are you aware that there are technologies other than MFC? Are you aware that there are technologies other than Visual C++ "from Microsoft"?

Technologies that are imo easier than MFC for games are:

SDL (Best for 2D)
    OpenGL (For 3D)
    Borland VCL (For components e.g buttons)

You are almost certainly developing for Windows... so Visual C++ will suffice... But perhaps you might be interested in looking at other (free) alternatives? It seems to me like this is for school work so I guess you do not need to look at cost... yet...

Once you are happy that you can do the game graphics using MFC (or other) then do a google for 'c++ winsock'... and then learn that.

Examples are all well and good but you will still need to get your hands dirty.
    http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by kpedersen View Post
    If you think MFC is easy to learn. Then simply learn it and make a game using it.

Are you aware that there are technologies other than MFC? Are you aware that there are technologies other than Visual C++ "from Microsoft"?

Technologies that are imo easier than MFC for games are:

SDL (Best for 2D)
    OpenGL (For 3D)
    Borland VCL (For components e.g buttons)

You are almost certainly developing for Windows... so Visual C++ will suffice... But perhaps you might be interested in looking at other (free) alternatives? It seems to me like this is for school work so I guess you do not need to look at cost... yet...

Once you are happy that you can do the game graphics using MFC (or other) then do a google for 'c++ winsock'... and then learn that.

Examples are all well and good but you will still need to get your hands dirty.
    http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php
    GL is the basics, look into openscenegraph or whatever that has morphed into in the last few years. For 2d, I say directx is pretty darn easy and ultra fast.

But if you really want to do it right, you will buy good software, 3-d modeling tools that export code; they can even export animation sequences etc. This is very costly though, thousands of dollars (USD) per tool. Visual is costly too, though, unless you try to use the toy one they give away.

I dunno, start small and simple. Make a 2d directx game (free, anyone can tap these libraries) that uses networking to communicate. From there, its realy just learning about graphics and sound and the like; the networking stuff is pretty simple really. Graphics is not simple, time was people would play a game written by a kid with cheezy graphics but now, if the graphics are not ultra high quality people will not touch it, thats why so many games have no plot, just graphics. And they sell --- people will buy a shooter with great graphics all day long. Its a large topic and, worse, you need to be a better artist than programmer to do good graphics. The programming side is easy now, if you buy the good tools, its the art side that is hard (at least for me, I cannot draw a quality stick figure).