DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Beyond C99?

Beyond C99?

I know that this is a C++ forum, but I'll ask anyway: Is there an active effort to develop and release a new standard for C (beyond C99). The last standard had future language directions information, so it seems like they intended for the language to keep growing.

There is a C committee that's been working constantly since C89 or even earlier. The standardization never stops because there are always issues that require clarification, bug fixing etc. However, AFAIK there is no new C standard planned for the near future. The fact is that even C99 is considered too advanced for many programmers and implementations.
    Danny Kalev

Wow, that means that there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

If it is no longer growing then it is possible to learn 100% of the language :)

One day this may happen to ++ :p

Quote Originally Posted by kpedersen View Post
    Wow, that means that there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

If it is no longer growing then it is possible to learn 100% of the language :)

One day this may happen to ++ :p
    When that day arrives, rest assure that a new standard (or two) will be knocking on your doors... in the meantime, simple C99 features such as variable length arrays and designated initializers are still unheard of in many projects and implementations.
    Danny Kalev

Your examples surprise me, because gcc 3.4 supports both. I know you're not a fan of gcc. I might not be if I had the opportunity to work much with other compilers.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixj View Post
    Your examples surprise me, because gcc 3.4 supports both. I know you're not a fan of gcc. I might not be if I had the opportunity to work much with other compilers.
    It's more than just "which implementation supports this new feature" but: when will C++ support them too? There's a lot of antipathy toward VLAs but I still haven't heard a single argument against designated initializers in C++.
    Generally speaking, it takes about 10 years for a brand new standard to percolate to the average software project and programmer.
    I think however that your original question could lead to another related topic: which features do you miss in C99? Which new features should C adopt?
    Danny Kalev