DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: VC++ - updating .dsp file?

VC++ - updating .dsp file?

i wrote a program in vc++ 6 years ago. i am trying to make some changes to it. i download visual c++ 2010 express. when i tried to load it, it tells me the .dsp file cannot be loaded.

do i need to use an older compiler like years ago, or is this problem fixable?

thanks.

too many versions between them. You can migrate from version to version with the professional (paid for) versions, but even so I wonder if a 6 could be moved to 10 directly, thats like 5 versions and many of the things that 6 allowed are now illegal (and always were, but it allowed them).

If you have access to them, try running it from 6 to 2002, 2002 to 2005, and 2005 to 2010. Even if that means borrowing someones machine. The finaly professional 2010 should make a file the express version can read; expreass may be able to read 2005 files as well.

However, again, many of the things in 6 probably are broken in 2010 anyway, unless the program is quite simple, or non-gui based (straight up c++ or the like).

I still have 2002 installed and 2005 is what I still use. If you want me to try it, pack up a zip file and post it somewhere. At the very least, it cant hurt to get it into a "solutionlolbuzzword" file (.SLN) instead of the oldschool dsw/dsp versions. I am willing to bet that once its in sln format, it will work in the express.

i don't have access to those older versions. what files would i need to compress to send to u? all cpp and h files, and resources? is there a good place to post large files?

I dont know. probably project and source files yes, resource too sigh. There are free places to post files like google. Or make a ftp server on your machine and send me a login to it.

Define large, its more than like 20 mb??

i collected the files. they are 4.6 mb in total. should i e-mail them?

yes, but make sure you removed the debug and release folders, the intermediate files (most start with the letter 'i' like ilk) any browser file (sbr?) etc.

Ill send you a working email address tomorrow from work. I cant do anything with it from home anyway.

Update:
    VS 2005 bought version is able to convert the project from .dsw format into .sln format, did not have to step from 2002 to 2005.

do u have a sense if visual studio .net (2003) has a good shot at working since 2005 apparently does?

anything in between, except possibly the freebie express versions, should work. All I have are 6, 2002, and 2005 at this time, so I just started with the newest of those.

i tried to recompile my program on a friend's machine with vc++ 6. i get the following error:

Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder (3)\project files\Release\game.exe', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfc42.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTF.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSCTFIME.IME', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\shlwapi.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    The thread 0xA70 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    The thread 0xC30 has exited with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).
    The program 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\New Folder (3)\project files\Release\game.exe' has exited with code -1073741819 (0xC0000005).

any idea why?

thanks.

operating system may be wrong for version 6. Remember, 6 is from windows 2k or earlier OS, thats a Millenium, xp, vista, and 7 versions ago.

You can copy those dlls and it may work, depends on what the code did though.

It could just be the path to those files has changed. I am unsure.

Those are not errors, it just says no symbols so you cannot debug it*

i misspoke. i did compile successfully. the errors showed up as the program crashed halfway through. unfortunately, i can't seem to figure out how to create a debug version.

i went to project settings and in the debug window i put the path name of the debug executable. nothing else. under tools/options, i'm not sure what should be set there. anyway, no debug executible is built.

could u tell me how to do it?

thanks.

There should be a drop down in the configuration to swap to debug. If that has been removed, you can do it by hand but its a pain.

You have to find and change the mfc dll setting to debug version of the dlls. You have to change the debug info to database w/ edit and continue. You have to change it to debug in a couple of places. You have to figure out how to get the debug define in and the release define out.

There are about 10 settings that relate to debug directly or indirectly that you probably need to swap. The best way to figure them out is to start a new project, and it will have both a debug and release setup. Flip between them and write down every difference on every setting and go back to this real project , make the changes you wrote down to debug. If a setting seems to not effect debug, look up what it actually does in your help.

How complex was the program?

It is usually easier to create a new project and just import the .h, .c, .cpp files.

That way all the configuration / compilation settings will be fresh and targeted at your current environment.