DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Conversion from old screen format to widescreen format

Question Conversion from old screen format to widescreen format

I wish to convert my VB6 application from the older square screen format to the newer landscape (wide screen) format. Given that my application consists of 6 forms with a tab control on each form that has 6-10 tabs, this may a formidable task as there are hundreds of controls that would have to be re-positioned -- would just like some pointers. The problem is that the application contains some controls towards the bottom of the form and/or tab that disappears below the screen for which I cannot select and move to a new location when I load the application onto a wide screen system .

My original plan would be to move all the controls into the upper half of the form and/or tab under the square screen format, move the application to the system with the wide screen, then re-position all the controls in the wide format.

Just wondering if there is any shortcut that would make the process a bit easier and faster.
    Brian

I've used this a few times...see how it works for you.

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/to...reen-size-vb6/

Thanks for the response. My application already uses a a 3rd-Party resizer, but when the application is loaded on a widescreen system, it shrinks down the text way too small and stretches the controls a bit out of proportion (I suspect that the resizer is structured to work primarily with the more square format). I think it would be better to re-layout the controls so it looks more proportionately correct. Just looking for a pointer as to how to expose controls in the IDE that have moved off the visible page. It looks like I need to first move the controls up the page in the square format then load into the widescreen system and layout the control under the wide format.
    Brian

The 3rd-Party resizer that I used was developed before widescreens were introduced, so when my application runs on widescreen, it doesn't resize correctly (I assume that the resizer was developed for a 4:3 aspect ratio - square) and cannot resize correctly under 16:9 aspect. Therefore, I spent a couple of days re-formatting my application for widescreen and it looks great. Additionally, once the layout has been adjusted for widescreen, the resizer also works great. I just need to maintain two versions of my app - square and widescreen.
    Brian

which 3rd-party resizer do you have?
    i am looking for a good resizer.
    andreas

I use FastForm from a company called Dev4Dev. Unfortunately, Dev4Dev no longer exists. However, if you Google FastForm Resizer, you'll find a number of sites that now offer the software as shareware. How'd you like that -- I paid for it and now it is free. It's absolutely incredible as it is not only a resizer but allows you to set properties that controls which controls and/or fonts are resized but allows for gradient form fills and very interesting effects when forms are opened and closed.
    Brian

thank you

If the company does not exist anymore it means that you don't have assistance on their products. Who want to buy something that you can't fix/update unless you have the code to do it yourself?
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

mstraf,

I understand your point. However there are a lot of excellent products that are no longer supported but work flawlessly or continue to fill a need (e.g., VB6). How many legacy applications do we all have on our computers that are no longer supported yet we continue to use them because they work and fill a need? My favorite contact application is Lotus Organizer - no longer supported but it does what I want it to do. I have used FastForm for years and it does exactly what it is designed to do and I have never had a problem or needed support of any kind. I just drop it on my form and it works without any problems. The only reason I continue to use the product is because I purchased the product over a decade ago, since acquiring the tool I never needed support, and it still works perfectly. Now it's free, so nothing is lost if you wish to do something more than what the product was designed to do - if it doesn't do what you want it to do, simply delete if from your form. If it does what you want it to do, then it didn't cost anything - that sounds good to me.
    Last edited by bkh_vb1; 02-17-2011 at 05:54 PM.
    Brian