DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Total erasure of OLE email messages

  1. #1
    Kitty Guest

    Total erasure of OLE email messages


    Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to 'really' erase Out Look Express
    e-mail messages. That is those coming in and those created & sent. After
    a pc crash I've seen those messages as old as a couple of years return from
    the dead as it were. Delete just does not do the job.
    Thanks,
    Kitty

  2. #2
    javajazz Guest

    Re: Total erasure of OLE email messages


    "Kitty" <kitty5@humboldt1.com> wrote:
    >
    >Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to 'really' erase Out Look Express
    >e-mail messages. That is those coming in and those created & sent. After
    >a pc crash I've seen those messages as old as a couple of years return from
    >the dead as it were. Delete just does not do the job.
    >Thanks,
    >Kitty


    Find "outlook express folder" under c:\windows\application data and open
    appropriate .dbx files with editor and delete what you want. then run scandisk
    to fix file size.

  3. #3
    Michael Howard Guest

    Re: Total erasure of OLE email messages


    even with this you cannot be 100% sure - what happens if data is in the pagefile?
    you can alleviate this by opting to zero-out the page file on shutdown.

    "javajazz" <rumblingspire@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >"Kitty" <kitty5@humboldt1.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to 'really' erase Out Look Express
    >>e-mail messages. That is those coming in and those created & sent. After
    >>a pc crash I've seen those messages as old as a couple of years return

    from
    >>the dead as it were. Delete just does not do the job.
    >>Thanks,
    >>Kitty

    >
    >Find "outlook express folder" under c:\windows\application data and open
    >appropriate .dbx files with editor and delete what you want. then run scandisk
    >to fix file size.



  4. #4
    Eli Allen Guest

    Re: Total erasure of OLE email messages

    Don't forget the temp directory. And make sure you use a file wiper since a
    deleted file can always be undeleted later.
    --
    Eli Allen
    eallen@bcpl.net

    "Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:3afc6dcb$1@news.devx.com...
    >
    > even with this you cannot be 100% sure - what happens if data is in the

    pagefile?
    > you can alleviate this by opting to zero-out the page file on shutdown.
    >




  5. #5
    Michael Howard Guest

    Re: Total erasure of OLE email messages


    ooohhh - such paranoia! gotta love it! :-)

    "Eli Allen" <eallen@bcpl.net> wrote:
    >Don't forget the temp directory. And make sure you use a file wiper since

    a
    >deleted file can always be undeleted later.
    >--
    >Eli Allen
    >eallen@bcpl.net
    >
    >"Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >news:3afc6dcb$1@news.devx.com...
    >>
    >> even with this you cannot be 100% sure - what happens if data is in the

    >pagefile?
    >> you can alleviate this by opting to zero-out the page file on shutdown.
    >>

    >
    >



  6. #6
    Eli Allen Guest

    Re: Total erasure of OLE email messages

    You started it talking about deleting the page file. Mine is about a gig so
    it would slow things down.

    Just thinking, doesn't that mean you should reset instead of logging out
    since resetting is the only way to clear the page file?

    Oh and make sure you display random images on the screen so that nothing can
    be read off it after being turned off. And be sure your room has metal mesh
    in the walls and door and either a metal mesh between two sheets of glass
    for the window or just coat it in copper. But then its best if the room is
    in the middle of the building so rifle mics and/or mics based on reflecting
    a laser light don't work.

    And wash the keyboard after each use so they can't tell how much each key
    was used.

    You should also make sure you know all the devices plugged into the computer
    and follow then to the peripherals to make sure nothing is inserted into the
    middle and there are no other cables running parallel to them as those may
    just be there to pick up the signal. And keep the wires away from the wall
    as you can't easily check there. Also, keep a radio on just take make noise
    to keep any listening devices from working. But then a machine that just
    creates sparks off a high voltage source may work better as that makes noise
    and jams the radio frequencies.

    Someone say paranoid?
    --
    Eli Allen
    eallen@bcpl.net

    "Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:3b00487e@news.devx.com...
    >
    > ooohhh - such paranoia! gotta love it! :-)
    >
    > "Eli Allen" <eallen@bcpl.net> wrote:
    > >Don't forget the temp directory. And make sure you use a file wiper

    since
    > a
    > >deleted file can always be undeleted later.
    > >--
    > >Eli Allen
    > >eallen@bcpl.net
    > >
    > >"Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >news:3afc6dcb$1@news.devx.com...
    > >>
    > >> even with this you cannot be 100% sure - what happens if data is in the

    > >pagefile?
    > >> you can alleviate this by opting to zero-out the page file on shutdown.
    > >>

    > >
    > >

    >




  7. #7
    GhostDof Guest

    Re: Total erasure of OLE email messages


    Erm, I don't want to spoil anyone's reign of thunder, but the fact is that
    copies of the emails will also be residing on every mail server that the
    messagess were sent by, or routed via. It is impossible to 100% delete all
    trace of an e-mail. Hence the old adage - don't email what you wouldn't put
    on a post card.

    Have a nice day!




    "Eli Allen" <eallen@bcpl.net> wrote:
    >You started it talking about deleting the page file. Mine is about a gig

    so
    >it would slow things down.
    >
    >Just thinking, doesn't that mean you should reset instead of logging out
    >since resetting is the only way to clear the page file?
    >
    >Oh and make sure you display random images on the screen so that nothing

    can
    >be read off it after being turned off. And be sure your room has metal

    mesh
    >in the walls and door and either a metal mesh between two sheets of glass
    >for the window or just coat it in copper. But then its best if the room

    is
    >in the middle of the building so rifle mics and/or mics based on reflecting
    >a laser light don't work.
    >
    >And wash the keyboard after each use so they can't tell how much each key
    >was used.
    >
    >You should also make sure you know all the devices plugged into the computer
    >and follow then to the peripherals to make sure nothing is inserted into

    the
    >middle and there are no other cables running parallel to them as those may
    >just be there to pick up the signal. And keep the wires away from the wall
    >as you can't easily check there. Also, keep a radio on just take make noise
    >to keep any listening devices from working. But then a machine that just
    >creates sparks off a high voltage source may work better as that makes noise
    >and jams the radio frequencies.
    >
    >Someone say paranoid?
    >--
    >Eli Allen
    >eallen@bcpl.net
    >
    >"Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >news:3b00487e@news.devx.com...
    >>
    >> ooohhh - such paranoia! gotta love it! :-)
    >>
    >> "Eli Allen" <eallen@bcpl.net> wrote:
    >> >Don't forget the temp directory. And make sure you use a file wiper

    >since
    >> a
    >> >deleted file can always be undeleted later.
    >> >--
    >> >Eli Allen
    >> >eallen@bcpl.net
    >> >
    >> >"Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >news:3afc6dcb$1@news.devx.com...
    >> >>
    >> >> even with this you cannot be 100% sure - what happens if data is in

    the
    >> >pagefile?
    >> >> you can alleviate this by opting to zero-out the page file on shutdown.
    >> >>
    >> >
    >> >

    >>

    >
    >



  8. #8
    Eli Allen Guest

    Re: Total erasure of OLE email messages

    ruining all my fun

    Oh well
    --
    Eli Allen
    eallen@bcpl.net

    "GhostDof" <GhostDog@Ghostdog.net> wrote in message
    news:3b06486a@news.devx.com...
    >
    > Erm, I don't want to spoil anyone's reign of thunder, but the fact is that
    > copies of the emails will also be residing on every mail server that the
    > messagess were sent by, or routed via. It is impossible to 100% delete all
    > trace of an e-mail. Hence the old adage - don't email what you wouldn't

    put
    > on a post card.
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Eli Allen" <eallen@bcpl.net> wrote:
    > >You started it talking about deleting the page file. Mine is about a gig

    > so
    > >it would slow things down.
    > >
    > >Just thinking, doesn't that mean you should reset instead of logging out
    > >since resetting is the only way to clear the page file?
    > >
    > >Oh and make sure you display random images on the screen so that nothing

    > can
    > >be read off it after being turned off. And be sure your room has metal

    > mesh
    > >in the walls and door and either a metal mesh between two sheets of glass
    > >for the window or just coat it in copper. But then its best if the room

    > is
    > >in the middle of the building so rifle mics and/or mics based on

    reflecting
    > >a laser light don't work.
    > >
    > >And wash the keyboard after each use so they can't tell how much each key
    > >was used.
    > >
    > >You should also make sure you know all the devices plugged into the

    computer
    > >and follow then to the peripherals to make sure nothing is inserted into

    > the
    > >middle and there are no other cables running parallel to them as those

    may
    > >just be there to pick up the signal. And keep the wires away from the

    wall
    > >as you can't easily check there. Also, keep a radio on just take make

    noise
    > >to keep any listening devices from working. But then a machine that just
    > >creates sparks off a high voltage source may work better as that makes

    noise
    > >and jams the radio frequencies.
    > >
    > >Someone say paranoid?
    > >--
    > >Eli Allen
    > >eallen@bcpl.net
    > >
    > >"Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >news:3b00487e@news.devx.com...
    > >>
    > >> ooohhh - such paranoia! gotta love it! :-)
    > >>
    > >> "Eli Allen" <eallen@bcpl.net> wrote:
    > >> >Don't forget the temp directory. And make sure you use a file wiper

    > >since
    > >> a
    > >> >deleted file can always be undeleted later.
    > >> >--
    > >> >Eli Allen
    > >> >eallen@bcpl.net
    > >> >
    > >> >"Michael Howard" <mikehow@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> >news:3afc6dcb$1@news.devx.com...
    > >> >>
    > >> >> even with this you cannot be 100% sure - what happens if data is in

    > the
    > >> >pagefile?
    > >> >> you can alleviate this by opting to zero-out the page file on

    shutdown.
    > >> >>
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >>

    > >
    > >

    >




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center