DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: VB6 Documentation Tool

  1. #1
    Dennis Tucker Guest

    VB6 Documentation Tool


    I posted a message before about VB6 Documentation. What I am looking for is
    a tool to take the comments from your code and turn them into some sort of
    documentation.

  2. #2
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    http://news.devx.com/newspolicy.asp

    /Pat

    "Dennis Tucker" <dennisjt@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >I posted a message before about VB6 Documentation. What I am looking for

    is
    >a tool to take the comments from your code and turn them into some sort

    of
    >documentation.



  3. #3
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool

    > http://news.devx.com/newspolicy.asp

    Patrick: Why the link? Has Dennis violated the newsgroup guidelines in some
    way?
    ---
    Phil Weber
    DevX Newsgroup Admin



  4. #4
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    Yes. He posted to the wrong newsgroup. This is the vb.announcements newsgroup
    and he's not making an announcement. He's asking for help. He should go to
    vb.general. Also, he's posted the same message two days in a row.

    /Pat

    "Phil Weber" <pweber@devx.com> wrote:
    > > http://news.devx.com/newspolicy.asp

    >
    >Patrick: Why the link? Has Dennis violated the newsgroup guidelines in some
    >way?
    >---
    >Phil Weber
    >DevX Newsgroup Admin



  5. #5
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool

    > Yes. He posted to the wrong newsgroup. This is the
    > vb.announcements newsgroup and he's not making an
    > announcement.


    Patrick: If you take a look at http://news.devx.com, you'll see that this
    group is labeled "Announcements/Third-Party Info." I can see how someone
    might conclude that this is the best place to ask for information about
    third-party tools.

    > Also, he's posted the same message two days in a row.


    Actually, he didn't. The content of today's post is substantially more
    specific than that of yesterday's. It would have been nice if he had posted
    today's message as a followup to yesterday's, rather than starting a new
    thread, but other than that I don't think he's been out of line. Let's not
    be too quick to jump on people who are making a good-faith effort to use
    these groups as intended. Thanks!
    ---
    Phil Weber
    DevX Newsgroup Admin



  6. #6
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    Hi Phil,

    This is a strange post coming from you. Normally, you're pretty level headed.

    "Phil Weber" <pweber@devx.com> wrote:
    > > Yes. He posted to the wrong newsgroup. This is the
    > > vb.announcements newsgroup and he's not making an
    > > announcement.

    >
    >Patrick: If you take a look at http://news.devx.com, you'll see that this
    >group is labeled "Announcements/Third-Party Info." I can see how someone
    >might conclude that this is the best place to ask for information about
    >third-party tools.


    I wasn't making a judgement call on him.

    > > Also, he's posted the same message two days in a row.

    >
    >Actually, he didn't. The content of today's post is substantially more
    >specific than that of yesterday's. It would have been nice if he had posted
    >today's message as a followup to yesterday's, rather than starting a new
    >thread, but other than that


    Actually, he did. Read the etiquette page, Phil. It clearly states "If you
    don't get a reply within a couple of days, check your message to ensure that
    it meets the clarity guidelines outlined above, then repost it, perhaps including
    the words 'Repost' or 'Second attempt' in the subject."

    > I don't think he's been out of line. Let's not
    >be too quick to jump on people who are making a good-faith effort to use
    >these groups as intended. Thanks!


    What on earth are you talking about? My post consisted of a single line:

    http://news.devx.com/newspolicy.asp

    How is that jumping on someone?

    BTW, I didn't see you or anyone else try to help him. I was the only one
    who even bothered. So take your own advice and don't be too quick to jump
    on people who are making a good-faith effort to use these newsgroups as intended.
    Thanks!

    /Pat

  7. #7
    Dennis Tucker Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    I posted this message in this newsgroup because I am not asking for VB help
    nor am I getting started, looking for help with ADO, or inquiring about .NET
    etc...
    The reason why I reposted the message because I felt that someone might think
    I am looking for documentation that I would normally find in vb.general.

    What I am looking for is a "Third Party" tool that will aid in forming documentation
    out of VB code.
    "Dennis Tucker" <dennisjt@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >I posted a message before about VB6 Documentation. What I am looking for

    is
    >a tool to take the comments from your code and turn them into some sort

    of
    >documentation.



  8. #8
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    Hi Dennis,

    As I said, and Phil has concurred, you should be posting in a more appropriate
    newsgroup where you are more likely to get a better response. Try vb.general.

    /Pat

    "Dennis Tucker" <dennisjt@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >I posted this message in this newsgroup because I am not asking for VB help
    >nor am I getting started, looking for help with ADO, or inquiring about

    .NET
    >etc...
    >The reason why I reposted the message because I felt that someone might

    think
    >I am looking for documentation that I would normally find in vb.general.
    >
    >What I am looking for is a "Third Party" tool that will aid in forming documentation
    >out of VB code.
    >"Dennis Tucker" <dennisjt@home.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I posted a message before about VB6 Documentation. What I am looking for

    >is
    >>a tool to take the comments from your code and turn them into some sort

    >of
    >>documentation.

    >



  9. #9
    Tim Hitchings \(Infragistics\) Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool

    On more reason why a .3rdparty would be helpful.
    See microsoft.public.vb.3rdparty.
    or rename the group to Announcements/3rdparty Info

    "Phil Weber" <pweber@devx.com> wrote in message
    news:3a8345af@news.devx.com...
    > > Yes. He posted to the wrong newsgroup. This is the
    > > vb.announcements newsgroup and he's not making an
    > > announcement.

    >
    > Patrick: If you take a look at http://news.devx.com, you'll see that

    this
    > group is labeled "Announcements/Third-Party Info." I can see how

    someone
    > might conclude that this is the best place to ask for information

    about
    > third-party tools.





  10. #10
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool

    > As I said, and Phil has concurred, you should be posting
    > in a more appropriate newsgroup where you are more
    > likely to get a better response. Try vb.general.


    Patrick: I concurred? If I thought Dennis' message was more appropriate for
    vb.general, I would have moved it there. I think it's fine here.
    ---
    Phil Weber
    DevX Newsgroup Admin



  11. #11
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool

    > What I am looking for is a tool to take the comments from
    > your code and turn them into some sort of documentation.


    Dennis: You might take a look at the DevX Product Guide in the "Help
    Authoring" category
    ( http://www.devx.com/free/products/subcategory.asp?id=73 ). Specifically,
    the following products look like they may do what you're looking for:

    Document! VB
    ( http://www.devx.com/free/products/pg...ontent_id=4582 )

    PowerDOC for Visual Basic
    ( http://www.devx.com/free/products/pg...ontent_id=2284 )

    VBdocman
    ( http://www.devx.com/free/products/pg...ontent_id=6401 )

    Hope that helps!
    ---
    Phil Weber



  12. #12
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    It sounded like you did...."If you take a look at http://news.devx.com, you'll
    see that this group is labeled "Announcements/Third-Party Info." I can see
    how someone might conclude that this is the best place to ask for information
    about third-party tools."

    /Pat

    "Phil Weber" <pweber@devx.com> wrote:
    > > As I said, and Phil has concurred, you should be posting
    > > in a more appropriate newsgroup where you are more
    > > likely to get a better response. Try vb.general.

    >
    >Patrick: I concurred? If I thought Dennis' message was more appropriate

    for
    >vb.general, I would have moved it there. I think it's fine here.
    >---
    >Phil Weber
    >DevX Newsgroup Admin
    >
    >



  13. #13
    Phil Weber Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool

    > Read the etiquette page, Phil.

    Patrick: Thanks for the tip (I *wrote* the etiquette page ;-).

    > My post consisted of a single line: http://news.devx.com/-
    > newspolicy.asp. How is that jumping on someone?


    Perhaps I read into your post something other than what you intended; if so,
    I apologize. Usually when I post a link to the newsgroup guidelines page,
    it's because I feel that the user has violated the guidelines in some way. I
    assumed that you posted it for the same reason, and I felt that posting the
    link without any explanation, particularly since you are a user just like
    Dennis (as opposed to a Section Leader whose responsibility it is to ensure
    things are posted in the right place), was a somewhat harsh response.

    > So take your own advice and don't be too quick to jump
    > on people who are making a good-faith effort to use these
    > newsgroups as intended.


    I'm sorry if you feel "jumped on"; that was not my intent. I just felt that
    Dennis' use of this group was appropriate, and didn't want him to be
    discouraged from using these groups in the future because of what I
    interpreted as a hostile response from a fellow user. Thanks!
    ---
    Phil Weber
    DevX Newsgroup Admin



  14. #14
    Dennis Tucker Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    Patrick, as I stated before I am looking for a third party tool to aid in
    the implementation of VB productivity. I felt this was the appropriate place
    for this particular scenario. If I ever decide to post another question or
    seek some professional expertise I will re-think as to where I post and/or
    I will consult with you and get your expert opinion on the appropriate newsgroup.

    Thank you

    "Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote:
    >
    >It sounded like you did...."If you take a look at http://news.devx.com,

    you'll
    >see that this group is labeled "Announcements/Third-Party Info." I can see
    >how someone might conclude that this is the best place to ask for information
    >about third-party tools."
    >
    >/Pat
    >
    >"Phil Weber" <pweber@devx.com> wrote:
    >> > As I said, and Phil has concurred, you should be posting
    >> > in a more appropriate newsgroup where you are more
    >> > likely to get a better response. Try vb.general.

    >>
    >>Patrick: I concurred? If I thought Dennis' message was more appropriate

    >for
    >>vb.general, I would have moved it there. I think it's fine here.
    >>---
    >>Phil Weber
    >>DevX Newsgroup Admin
    >>
    >>

    >



  15. #15
    Patrick Troughton Guest

    Re: VB6 Documentation Tool


    Hi Dennis,

    Ah, biting the hand that feeds, I see? Would you rather post the same message
    day after day and wonder why nobody's bothered responding? At least I posted
    something constructive while everyone else was ignoring you. Have a nice
    day.

    /Pat

    "Dennis Tucker" <dennisjt@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >Patrick, as I stated before I am looking for a third party tool to aid in
    >the implementation of VB productivity. I felt this was the appropriate place
    >for this particular scenario. If I ever decide to post another question

    or
    >seek some professional expertise I will re-think as to where I post and/or
    >I will consult with you and get your expert opinion on the appropriate newsgroup.
    >
    >Thank you
    >
    >"Patrick Troughton" <Patrick@Troughton.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>It sounded like you did...."If you take a look at http://news.devx.com,

    >you'll
    >>see that this group is labeled "Announcements/Third-Party Info." I can

    see
    >>how someone might conclude that this is the best place to ask for information
    >>about third-party tools."
    >>
    >>/Pat
    >>
    >>"Phil Weber" <pweber@devx.com> wrote:
    >>> > As I said, and Phil has concurred, you should be posting
    >>> > in a more appropriate newsgroup where you are more
    >>> > likely to get a better response. Try vb.general.
    >>>
    >>>Patrick: I concurred? If I thought Dennis' message was more appropriate

    >>for
    >>>vb.general, I would have moved it there. I think it's fine here.
    >>>---
    >>>Phil Weber
    >>>DevX Newsgroup Admin
    >>>
    >>>

    >>

    >



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center