DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Not all data gets through!!!!!!!!!!!

Not all data gets through!!!!!!!!!!!

[Originally posted by anon]

I am making a game where there are two ships(two diff. players) connected over the internet, when one presses the up button, thier ship moves up and winsock1 sends a message to the other comp saying dat the first player's ship just moved up, my problem is that, when the person or both players move at the same time/a bunch of times, not all the commands or messages go through, so while one sees a blue ship in the top left corner, the other sees a blue ship approaching the top left corner. What do I do!!?!?!

Re:Not all data gets through!!!!!!!!!!!

[Originally posted by Greg DeBacker]

You could implement a command confirmation scheme of some sort. When you send a command you wait for a response that the other computer as received everything before continuing. Another way might be to use a terminating string of some sort. All commands end in the same string. The other computer would not send until they get the special terminating string to indicate that all commands have be received.

Grex

Re:Re:Not all data gets through!!!!!!!!!!!

[Originally posted by Marty]

I agree. I have a feeling that one computer is receiving MULTIPLE commands at a time, and you're not processing them all. Each command should be wrapped in something (like XML) or given a delimiter. When you read from a socket (depending on how you are doing that - I usually use the Microsoft Winsock Control in VB), make sure you use the Length parameter to read ALL the data. I usually add data to a module level string varriable (msBuffer = msBuffer & (data from socket), and then parse the buffer as it may have multiple and/or incomplete commands (data). When you process one piece of data, pull it off the buffer and grab the next one.

Hope this helps,

Marty

Re:Not all data gets through!!!!!!!!!!!

[Originally posted by chusak]

hi

uh.... thanks guys, I am kind of a newb at VB, It's only been 2 years and i tought myself, so, if any1s got any websites or exmples, it would help.

-And thanks

-Peter

uh.... thanks guys, I am kind of a newb at VB, It's only been 2 years and i tought myself, so, if any1s got any websites or exmples, it would help.

-And thanks

-Peter

Re:Re:Re:Not all data gets through!!!!!!!!!!!

[Originally posted by chusak]

i want