DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Custom Message boxes

  1. #1
    meowmeow Guest

    Custom Message boxes


    i had an idea
    custom message boxes
    so i created a new form
    put a 2 labels on it
    and i have no idea to call it
    at first i tried modifying form_load
    like
    form_load()
    became
    form_load(ttl as string, hder as string, mesag as string)
    for title header and message
    but it said it was illegal
    then after snooping around my help files
    ------
    Property Set msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    msag = " GRGRRR you IDIOT, why can you not learn to count"
    ttle = "idiot buster duo xeroes"
    hder = ":-)"
    End Property
    msges.Form_Load
    ---------
    didnt work
    but maybe i didnt get the propierties correct
    -----------
    Sub Form_Load()
    Property Get msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    Label1.Caption = msag
    Me.Caption = ttle
    Label2.Caption = hder
    End Property
    End Sub
    ------------
    how do i go about with this kinda thing
    i want to declare a function
    but when you have controls on other forms, they are not accessable from the
    current
    i have to define the propierties when i want to make the message box
    and then get them when it loades msges form


  2. #2
    meuseo same Guest

    Re: Custom Message boxes


    something else i want to trie, but i really dont know how to do
    declare a function
    like, function dspmsg(headr as string titl as string mesag as string)
    mseg.show
    mseg.some other fuction
    How do i paass those arguments to "some other function"
    that is a part of another form


    "meowmeow" <mewmew@xero00.com> wrote:
    >
    >i had an idea
    >custom message boxes
    >so i created a new form
    >put a 2 labels on it
    >and i have no idea to call it
    >at first i tried modifying form_load
    >like
    >form_load()
    >became
    >form_load(ttl as string, hder as string, mesag as string)
    >for title header and message
    >but it said it was illegal
    >then after snooping around my help files
    >------
    >Property Set msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >msag = " GRGRRR you IDIOT, why can you not learn to count"
    >ttle = "idiot buster duo xeroes"
    >hder = ":-)"
    >End Property
    >msges.Form_Load
    >---------
    >didnt work
    >but maybe i didnt get the propierties correct
    >-----------
    >Sub Form_Load()
    >Property Get msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >Label1.Caption = msag
    >Me.Caption = ttle
    >Label2.Caption = hder
    >End Property
    >End Sub
    >------------
    >how do i go about with this kinda thing
    >i want to declare a function
    >but when you have controls on other forms, they are not accessable from

    the
    >current
    >i have to define the propierties when i want to make the message box
    >and then get them when it loades msges form
    >



  3. #3
    Arthur Wood Guest

    Re: Custom Message boxes


    meowmeow,

    Just a simple comment. Most of us who frequent these boards and try
    to help people are Professional, and would like to converse with someone
    else using a REAL Name rather than a "cute" handle(I'm sure that you Mother
    did not name you meowmeow). You will much more likely to get a helpful answer
    if you identify yourself. At least that way we know that you are semi-serious.
    Otherwise you asppear to be very childish, and many of us will not waste
    our time. Just my humble opinion.

    As to what you are trying to do, you need to read about creating ActiveX
    controls with Visual Basic. This an advance topic and you would be well
    advised to become very familiar with the Basics of VB before you attempt
    to jump into building your own controls. The body of your question indicates
    to me that you lack some very fundamental ideas about how Visual Basic works,
    and without that basic knowledge, you will never be able to build your specialized
    message boxes.

    I would suggest the you purchase "Visual Basic 6 Developer's Handbook", by
    Evangelos Petroutsos and Kevin Hough, ISBN 0-7821-2283-3, and then read chapter
    11, "Building ActiveX Controls".

    But do not read Chapter 11, until you have read and understood chapters 1
    through 10, first.

    Arthur Wood


    "meowmeow" <mewmew@xero00.com> wrote:
    >
    >i had an idea
    >custom message boxes
    >so i created a new form
    >put a 2 labels on it
    >and i have no idea to call it
    >at first i tried modifying form_load
    >like
    >form_load()
    >became
    >form_load(ttl as string, hder as string, mesag as string)
    >for title header and message
    >but it said it was illegal
    >then after snooping around my help files
    >------
    >Property Set msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >msag = " GRGRRR you IDIOT, why can you not learn to count"
    >ttle = "idiot buster duo xeroes"
    >hder = ":-)"
    >End Property
    >msges.Form_Load
    >---------
    >didnt work
    >but maybe i didnt get the propierties correct
    >-----------
    >Sub Form_Load()
    >Property Get msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >Label1.Caption = msag
    >Me.Caption = ttle
    >Label2.Caption = hder
    >End Property
    >End Sub
    >------------
    >how do i go about with this kinda thing
    >i want to declare a function
    >but when you have controls on other forms, they are not accessable from

    the
    >current
    >i have to define the propierties when i want to make the message box
    >and then get them when it loades msges form
    >



  4. #4
    Arthur Wood Guest

    Re: Custom Message boxes


    My comments about "cute" handles and your basic knowledge of how Visual Basic
    works apply here also.

    to declare a function:


    Private Function MyFunction(FirstArg as Integer, SeconArg as String)
    as String

    ' now you add some code to defien what the string the function should
    evalute to, given the two inputs
    MyFunction = Mid$(SecondArg,FirstArg,3)

    End Fnction

    A Function WILL ALWAYS have a Value, which it will return (and that value
    will ALWYS be of some type). A function van also be declaredf as either Private
    (which means that it can only be used in the module where the code actually
    is located, or as Public, which means that it can be called from other modules
    as well)

    In the example you attempted:

    Public Function dspmsg(headr as string, titl as string ,mesag as string)
    as String
    ' you would add code here to evalute dspmsg from the arguments which
    you supply when it is called

    End Function

    if this code is located in the module for Form1, but you want to call it
    from the code in Form2:

    in form2's module, you could have this line of code:

    Caption = form1.dspmsg(Header,Title,Mesag)

    But you really need to get some help with understanding the basics of how
    Visual Basic works, and how you write the code.

    Arthur Wood

    "meuseo" same wrote:
    >
    >something else i want to trie, but i really dont know how to do
    >declare a function
    >like, function dspmsg(headr as string titl as string mesag as string)
    > mseg.show
    > mseg.some other fuction
    >How do i paass those arguments to "some other function"
    >that is a part of another form
    >
    >
    >"meowmeow" <mewmew@xero00.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>i had an idea
    >>custom message boxes
    >>so i created a new form
    >>put a 2 labels on it
    >>and i have no idea to call it
    >>at first i tried modifying form_load
    >>like
    >>form_load()
    >>became
    >>form_load(ttl as string, hder as string, mesag as string)
    >>for title header and message
    >>but it said it was illegal
    >>then after snooping around my help files
    >>------
    >>Property Set msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >>msag = " GRGRRR you IDIOT, why can you not learn to count"
    >>ttle = "idiot buster duo xeroes"
    >>hder = ":-)"
    >>End Property
    >>msges.Form_Load
    >>---------
    >>didnt work
    >>but maybe i didnt get the propierties correct
    >>-----------
    >>Sub Form_Load()
    >>Property Get msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >>Label1.Caption = msag
    >>Me.Caption = ttle
    >>Label2.Caption = hder
    >>End Property
    >>End Sub
    >>------------
    >>how do i go about with this kinda thing
    >>i want to declare a function
    >>but when you have controls on other forms, they are not accessable from

    >the
    >>current
    >>i have to define the propierties when i want to make the message box
    >>and then get them when it loades msges form
    >>

    >



  5. #5
    mrfelis Guest

    Re: Custom Message boxes

    Define a public sub in the form for the custom message box. Show the form as
    modal after initializing it.

    Pulic Sub CustomShow (sMyTitle as String, sMyHeader as String, sMyCaption as
    String)
    Me.Caption = sMyTitle
    Me.lblHeader.Caption = sMyHeader
    Me.lblCaption.Caption = sMyCaption
    Me.Show vbModal
    Unload Me
    End Sub

    --
    ~~~
    !ti timda I ,KO
    ..em deppals nocaeB sivaM
    !draH
    ~~
    C'Ya,
    mrfelis@yahoo!com
    meowmeow <mewmew@xero00.com> wrote in message news:3a49d317@news.devx.com...
    >
    > i had an idea
    > custom message boxes
    > so i created a new form
    > put a 2 labels on it
    > and i have no idea to call it
    > at first i tried modifying form_load
    > like
    > form_load()
    > became
    > form_load(ttl as string, hder as string, mesag as string)
    > for title header and message
    > but it said it was illegal
    > then after snooping around my help files
    > ------
    > Property Set msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    > msag = " GRGRRR you IDIOT, why can you not learn to count"
    > ttle = "idiot buster duo xeroes"
    > hder = ":-)"
    > End Property
    > msges.Form_Load
    > ---------
    > didnt work
    > but maybe i didnt get the propierties correct
    > -----------
    > Sub Form_Load()
    > Property Get msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    > Label1.Caption = msag
    > Me.Caption = ttle
    > Label2.Caption = hder
    > End Property
    > End Sub
    > ------------
    > how do i go about with this kinda thing
    > i want to declare a function
    > but when you have controls on other forms, they are not accessable from

    the
    > current
    > i have to define the propierties when i want to make the message box
    > and then get them when it loades msges form
    >




  6. #6
    XerosAqua Guest

    Re: Custom Message boxes


    i eventually solved the problem a few hours ago, before i came to the group

    it is alot like mrfelis's solution
    Private Sub cmdSave_Click()
    Dim pathn As String
    Dim Filen As String
    pathn = Pathsave.Text
    Filen = Fyln.Text
    pathn = pathn & Filen
    If pathn = "" Then
    msges.Show
    msges.setstuff " STUPIDO ", " STUPIDO DP20", "must enter
    both fields , sowy fo da inconweenyense"
    Pause 2
    Exit Sub
    End If
    pathn = Pathsave.Text
    Filen = Fyln.Text
    pathn = pathn & Filen
    Open pathn For Append Access Read Write As #1
    Print #1, txtNotepad.Text
    Close #1

    End Sub

    i realized i could call a function like that
    form.function

    Function setstuff(headr As String, titl As String, mesag As String)
    heade.Caption = headr
    fielde.Caption = mesag
    msges.Caption = titl
    End Function





    -----pardon the confusing names
    Im constantly afraid i will run into an error from using a reserved keyword
    as a variable. heade = heade(as in the main title of the box), fyln(fyle
    name), pathn = pathname
    i tend to abbrievieate the nmes with alternate spellings
    if they are pronounced , then the meaning is more apparent
    if something i use is not involved in a function or sub or anything, i dont
    give it a meaningfull name
    everything else though
    sorry for the multiple names,
    any email address ending in xero00.com is myne

    "mrfelis" <mrfelis@yahoo.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >Define a public sub in the form for the custom message box. Show the form

    as
    >modal after initializing it.
    >
    >Pulic Sub CustomShow (sMyTitle as String, sMyHeader as String, sMyCaption

    as
    >String)
    > Me.Caption = sMyTitle
    > Me.lblHeader.Caption = sMyHeader
    > Me.lblCaption.Caption = sMyCaption
    > Me.Show vbModal
    > Unload Me
    >End Sub
    >
    >--
    >~~~
    > !ti timda I ,KO
    >..em deppals nocaeB sivaM
    >!draH
    >~~
    >C'Ya,
    >mrfelis@yahoo!com
    >meowmeow <mewmew@xero00.com> wrote in message news:3a49d317@news.devx.com...
    >>
    >> i had an idea
    >> custom message boxes
    >> so i created a new form
    >> put a 2 labels on it
    >> and i have no idea to call it
    >> at first i tried modifying form_load
    >> like
    >> form_load()
    >> became
    >> form_load(ttl as string, hder as string, mesag as string)
    >> for title header and message
    >> but it said it was illegal
    >> then after snooping around my help files
    >> ------
    >> Property Set msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >> msag = " GRGRRR you IDIOT, why can you not learn to count"
    >> ttle = "idiot buster duo xeroes"
    >> hder = ":-)"
    >> End Property
    >> msges.Form_Load
    >> ---------
    >> didnt work
    >> but maybe i didnt get the propierties correct
    >> -----------
    >> Sub Form_Load()
    >> Property Get msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >> Label1.Caption = msag
    >> Me.Caption = ttle
    >> Label2.Caption = hder
    >> End Property
    >> End Sub
    >> ------------
    >> how do i go about with this kinda thing
    >> i want to declare a function
    >> but when you have controls on other forms, they are not accessable from

    >the
    >> current
    >> i have to define the propierties when i want to make the message box
    >> and then get them when it loades msges form
    >>

    >
    >



  7. #7
    Arthur Wood Guest

    Re: Custom Message boxes


    From everything that you have posted here recently, it is very apparent that
    you are completely self-taught. For that I commend you, as you seem to have
    some intersting ideas. However, there will come a time (probably very soon)
    when you should begin to think seriuosly about either or both of these ideas:

    1) get hold of a good book on VB (Peter Wright's Beginning Visual Basic 6,
    or if you are up to more of a challenge, Visual Basic 6 Developer's Handbook
    by Petroutsos and Hough)


    2) adopt a naming convention, for your variables. Then you avoid the potential
    conflict with reserved words. It is generally accepted that a varaible should
    be named with a two or three letter prefix which idetifies the type of the
    variable:

    str String
    int Integer
    lng Long-Integer
    sng Single
    obj Object
    cmd Command Button
    txt TextBox
    lbl Label
    frm Form (or possibly Frame)
    cbo Combo-box etc

    you get the idea. This will assist others in trying to read your code and
    offer suggestions, and will assist you in trying to write codfe which doesn't
    cause conflicts with VBs set of reserved words.


    A second very minor point:

    in your recent post you have this code:

    Function setstuff(headr As String, titl As String, mesag As String)
    heade.Caption = headr
    fielde.Caption = mesag
    msges.Caption = titl
    End Function

    Strictly speaking that should be a Sub procedure. Subs do not return a value
    as a result, while functions do. In C or C++ all procedures are treated
    as functions, it is just that some C/C++ functions have a return type of
    void (meanning they don't return a value). These would be the equivalent
    of VB Subs. As I said, it is a minor point, and your code will work as you
    have written it.

    Arthur Wood

    "XerosAqua" <XerosAqua@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >i eventually solved the problem a few hours ago, before i came to the group
    >
    >it is alot like mrfelis's solution
    >Private Sub cmdSave_Click()
    >Dim pathn As String
    >Dim Filen As String
    >pathn = Pathsave.Text
    >Filen = Fyln.Text
    >pathn = pathn & Filen
    >If pathn = "" Then
    >msges.Show
    >msges.setstuff " STUPIDO ", " STUPIDO DP20", "must enter
    >both fields , sowy fo da inconweenyense"
    >Pause 2
    >Exit Sub
    >End If
    >pathn = Pathsave.Text
    >Filen = Fyln.Text
    >pathn = pathn & Filen
    >Open pathn For Append Access Read Write As #1
    >Print #1, txtNotepad.Text
    >Close #1
    >
    >End Sub
    >
    >i realized i could call a function like that
    >form.function
    >
    >Function setstuff(headr As String, titl As String, mesag As String)
    >heade.Caption = headr
    >fielde.Caption = mesag
    >msges.Caption = titl
    >End Function
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >-----pardon the confusing names
    > Im constantly afraid i will run into an error from using a reserved

    keyword
    >as a variable. heade = heade(as in the main title of the box), fyln(fyle
    >name), pathn = pathname
    >i tend to abbrievieate the nmes with alternate spellings
    >if they are pronounced , then the meaning is more apparent
    >if something i use is not involved in a function or sub or anything, i dont
    >give it a meaningfull name
    >everything else though
    >sorry for the multiple names,
    >any email address ending in xero00.com is myne
    >
    >"mrfelis" <mrfelis@yahoo.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
    >>Define a public sub in the form for the custom message box. Show the form

    >as
    >>modal after initializing it.
    >>
    >>Pulic Sub CustomShow (sMyTitle as String, sMyHeader as String, sMyCaption

    >as
    >>String)
    >> Me.Caption = sMyTitle
    >> Me.lblHeader.Caption = sMyHeader
    >> Me.lblCaption.Caption = sMyCaption
    >> Me.Show vbModal
    >> Unload Me
    >>End Sub
    >>
    >>--
    >>~~~
    >> !ti timda I ,KO
    >>..em deppals nocaeB sivaM
    >>!draH
    >>~~
    >>C'Ya,
    >>mrfelis@yahoo!com
    >>meowmeow <mewmew@xero00.com> wrote in message news:3a49d317@news.devx.com...
    >>>
    >>> i had an idea
    >>> custom message boxes
    >>> so i created a new form
    >>> put a 2 labels on it
    >>> and i have no idea to call it
    >>> at first i tried modifying form_load
    >>> like
    >>> form_load()
    >>> became
    >>> form_load(ttl as string, hder as string, mesag as string)
    >>> for title header and message
    >>> but it said it was illegal
    >>> then after snooping around my help files
    >>> ------
    >>> Property Set msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >>> msag = " GRGRRR you IDIOT, why can you not learn to count"
    >>> ttle = "idiot buster duo xeroes"
    >>> hder = ":-)"
    >>> End Property
    >>> msges.Form_Load
    >>> ---------
    >>> didnt work
    >>> but maybe i didnt get the propierties correct
    >>> -----------
    >>> Sub Form_Load()
    >>> Property Get msgbox(msag As String, ttle As String, hder As String)
    >>> Label1.Caption = msag
    >>> Me.Caption = ttle
    >>> Label2.Caption = hder
    >>> End Property
    >>> End Sub
    >>> ------------
    >>> how do i go about with this kinda thing
    >>> i want to declare a function
    >>> but when you have controls on other forms, they are not accessable from

    >>the
    >>> current
    >>> i have to define the propierties when i want to make the message box
    >>> and then get them when it loades msges form
    >>>

    >>
    >>

    >



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center