DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Oracle VB ODBC

  1. #1
    Ankur Talwar Guest

    Oracle VB ODBC


    I am using Oracle at back end and VB at front end..but i am not able to update
    my oracle tables thru vb frontend code..i am getting the runtime error no.
    3027 which says can't update. Database or Object is read only, kindly help
    me with this problem...i am really stuck. i'll be very thankful.

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Kris Slinger Guest

    Re: Oracle VB ODBC


    I am seeing the exact same error running SQL server back end and VB5 front
    end. Furthermore, the Visual Data manager can't seem to bring it up either.
    That makes me think it's not something I'm coding wrong and since I can change
    data from the SQL manager I think that end is OK. Must be something in the
    way ODBC is handeling it. Don't know that much about ODBC so I don't know
    what is wrong with that. Let me know if you figure anything out.


    "Ankur Talwar" <ankurtalwar@usa.net> wrote:
    >
    >I am using Oracle at back end and VB at front end..but i am not able to

    update
    >my oracle tables thru vb frontend code..i am getting the runtime error no.
    >3027 which says can't update. Database or Object is read only, kindly help
    >me with this problem...i am really stuck. i'll be very thankful.
    >
    >Thanx



  3. #3
    EricMarts Guest

    Re: Oracle VB ODBC


    Check your cursor location, lock type if your are using ADO.

    Check the DBA to make sure you have sufficient privlidges to update
    the table.

    Eric

    "Kris Slinger" <kslinger@vintek.com> wrote:
    >
    >I am seeing the exact same error running SQL server back end and VB5 front
    >end. Furthermore, the Visual Data manager can't seem to bring it up either.
    >That makes me think it's not something I'm coding wrong and since I can

    change
    >data from the SQL manager I think that end is OK. Must be something in the
    >way ODBC is handeling it. Don't know that much about ODBC so I don't know
    >what is wrong with that. Let me know if you figure anything out.
    >
    >
    >"Ankur Talwar" <ankurtalwar@usa.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>I am using Oracle at back end and VB at front end..but i am not able to

    >update
    >>my oracle tables thru vb frontend code..i am getting the runtime error

    no.
    >>3027 which says can't update. Database or Object is read only, kindly help
    >>me with this problem...i am really stuck. i'll be very thankful.
    >>
    >>Thanx

    >



  4. #4
    Dennis Nagel Guest

    Re: Oracle VB ODBC


    It is likely that you have JOINed tables in some way.

    Oracle will not pass back a modifyable recordset unless the record source
    comes from a single table. Functions
    in the Select fields (MAX(FieldName)) or renamed fields OrderID as New ORderID
    will case a NON-=Updatable set to be returned.

    You may be forced to take the users data outside of the grid and
    create an update statement for each piece of data that needs to be set.

    DNagel


    "EricMarts" <EricMarts@excite.com> wrote:
    >
    >Check your cursor location, lock type if your are using ADO.
    >
    >Check the DBA to make sure you have sufficient privlidges to update
    >the table.
    >
    >Eric
    >
    >"Kris Slinger" <kslinger@vintek.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I am seeing the exact same error running SQL server back end and VB5 front
    >>end. Furthermore, the Visual Data manager can't seem to bring it up either.
    >>That makes me think it's not something I'm coding wrong and since I can

    >change
    >>data from the SQL manager I think that end is OK. Must be something in

    the
    >>way ODBC is handeling it. Don't know that much about ODBC so I don't know
    >>what is wrong with that. Let me know if you figure anything out.
    >>
    >>
    >>"Ankur Talwar" <ankurtalwar@usa.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I am using Oracle at back end and VB at front end..but i am not able to

    >>update
    >>>my oracle tables thru vb frontend code..i am getting the runtime error

    >no.
    >>>3027 which says can't update. Database or Object is read only, kindly

    help
    >>>me with this problem...i am really stuck. i'll be very thankful.
    >>>
    >>>Thanx

    >>

    >



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center
 
 
FAQ
Latest Articles
Java
.NET
XML
Database
Enterprise
Questions? Contact us.
C++
Web Development
Wireless
Latest Tips
Open Source


   Development Centers

   -- Android Development Center
   -- Cloud Development Project Center
   -- HTML5 Development Center
   -- Windows Mobile Development Center