DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: MS Data Object

MS Data Object

I am trying to set the Windows clipboard from Access VBA. I have found a suggestion that uses the .SetClipboard property of a Microsoft Data Object, but I cannot find the Data Object reference in Access. Apparently it is in MS Forms V2.0 Library, but I cannot find that either.

Can anyone suggest where to find the library, or a different way to set the clipboard contents?

Thank you in advance.

VBA copy text to windows clipboard

A colleague found how to do it - this post is for information for anyone else with the same problem.

The Data Object definition is in FM20.DLL. To make it available in VBA, goto Tools, References, Browse and find FM20 in the file list (in my system it is in C:\WINNT\System32); click Open to add it to the references list.

You can now include DataObject in a Dim or New, and use its .SetText and .PutInClipboard methods to copy information onto the Windows clipboard.

If you want a method that doesn't require a reference to an external library, which the user might not have (for instance if you're using the Access runtime), or just want a more self-contained solution, have a look at the ClipEx.Zip example on Karl Peterson's page .

-Andrew

That's a really helpful link. Thanks, Andrew.

No problem, Simon.

You should definitely spend some time looking through Karl's site- there's tons of great stuff there that will save you hours of frustration.

-Andrew